• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tagging people has begun - start in UK and beginning with the weak

ADobbs1989

I would place the burden on the "facility", that granny or gramps is dumped in to by their snot nosed kids, to have a modicum of awareness that a door was opened and that someone may have walked out of the joint. There is, in my house, three times a beep when any door is opened. Hear it in my bedroom, wakes me up it does.

YMMV

What about all the people who are trying to take care of their parents/grandparents at home who have a tendency to get out of the house? In a home environment it's impossible to keep watch 100% of the time. Are you saying that dementia patients should HAVE to be put into a "facility" to allow them to keep careful watch?

There IS NO GOOD "treatment" plan for dementia patients. And every option in one way or another is going to be of negative impact on the patients "rights". Either you put them in a facility where they are generally mistreated (basically a dog pound for old people) or you come up with ways to keep them contained within your home. I guess unless you take the stance that we should just ignore them and let then wander the streets until they die. Great plan.

If all these people are escaping from facilities then they need to be evaluated to see what the problem is, but I would figure that the majority of dementia patients escaping are those who wander off from a private residence that doesn't have security doors and alarms and guards and employees.

OC for ME

What about all the people who are trying to take care of their parents/grandparents at home who have a tendency to get out of the house? In a home environment it's impossible to keep watch 100% of the time. Are you saying that dementia patients should HAVE to be put into a "facility" to allow them to keep careful watch?

There IS NO GOOD "treatment" plan for dementia patients. And every option in one way or another is going to be of negative impact on the patients "rights". Either you put them in a facility where they are generally mistreated (basically a dog pound for old people) or you come up with ways to keep them contained within your home. I guess unless you take the stance that we should just ignore them and let then wander the streets until they die. Great plan.

If all these people are escaping from facilities then they need to be evaluated to see what the problem is, but I would figure that the majority of dementia patients escaping are those who wander off from a private residence that doesn't have security doors and alarms and guards and employees.
A great deal of hyperbole in your comments.

The problem is that professional facilities are not keeping a watchful eye on those who are in their care. In a home setting the same logic applies.

The professional facility must bear the burden of keeping watch over those in their care. The government, British in the case of the OP, can mandate harsh penalties for not keeping watch over those in their care.

In the home, what family member care giver will not be in the home? The cost associated with installing some form of "alarm" system that sounds a "alarm" when a door is opened is far lower than the cost of finding a family member who has wandered away unnoticed. The need for a tracking device is mitigated when there are watchful eyes close at hand regardless of the setting.

ADobbs1989

A great deal of hyperbole in your comments.

The problem is that professional facilities are not keeping a watchful eye on those who are in their care. In a home setting the same logic applies.

The professional facility must bear the burden of keeping watch over those in their care. The government, British in the case of the OP, can mandate harsh penalties for not keeping watch over those in their care.

In the home, what family member care giver will not be in the home? The cost associated with installing some form of "alarm" system that sounds a "alarm" when a door is opened is far lower than the cost of finding a family member who has wandered away unnoticed. The need for a tracking device is mitigated when there are watchful eyes close at hand regardless of the setting.

How do you know? I didn't see where it was facilities these people were getting lost from. Maybe you read something I missed. As far as family members you can't put a blanket "this is what you have to do" statement. When I was younger living with my grandparents, my great grandmother was also living with us because she wasn't able to completely live alone. My grandmother worked, my grandfather worked when work was available, and I was in school. Sometimes there was no one available to always have an eye on her. That's called life, everyone can't always adhere to the best situations. Just because you are able to do something, or someone else is able to do something, doesn't mean everyone can do it. That's a logical fallacy. And the cost of asking for a free tracking device is even cheaper than retrofitting your house with alarm systems and fancy hoo-haa's to notify you every time someone moves.

OC for ME

How do you know? I didn't see where it was facilities these people were getting lost from. Maybe you read something I missed. As far as family members you can't put a blanket "this is what you have to do" statement. When I was younger living with my grandparents, my great grandmother was also living with us because she wasn't able to completely live alone. My grandmother worked, my grandfather worked when work was available, and I was in school. Sometimes there was no one available to always have an eye on her. That's called life, everyone can't always adhere to the best situations. Just because you are able to do something, or someone else is able to do something, doesn't mean everyone can do it. That's a logical fallacy. And the cost of asking for a free tracking device is even cheaper than retrofitting your house with alarm systems and fancy hoo-haa's to notify you every time someone moves.
The article does not state professional facilities or home settings. So, where are these poor souls before they are determined to have wandered off? I made a effort to address this situation if it arises in my future while I am able to pay for it. Even one component at a time purchases will yield benefits far beyond the meager cost to ensure a loved ones safety. I also believe that when a "child" has chosen to attend to their parents needs then adjustments must be made. Times are tough for everybody as they say.

Steeler-gal

Not every facility is just basically a dog kennel for people. Some are, but not all. You have to take a lot of time to research but there are good ones.

As for how they are getting out of facilities - You have to realize that some of these places aren't locked during the daytime. Only at night. So, the staff thinks the person is out with family when they aren't and they don't find out or realize until it is bedtime that the patient isn't there. Yes some of them probably don't have great security

At home - it is not easy to keep track. Twice my dad woke up and left the house in the middle of the night. Once we were lucky because my brother had stepped outside a smoke and ran into my dad as he was leaving to go home "because his Mom was probably worried." My brother convinced him to go back in the house. The other time she had no idea until the phone rang at 5am and it was a neighbor from 2.5 miles away calling to tell her he had nearly run over my dad who was wandering down the street. We have no idea how long he had been out wandering the neighborhoods. We put alarms on all the doors and windows so you could always know when someone was coming or going. Annoying for those of us grown enough to come and go? Yeah, but it kept Dad safe.

My point in telling this is that Yes unfortunately you do have to go to extreme circumstances to keep people safe whether you are caring for them at home or caring for them in a facility.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing