• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All hell is about to break loose

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My wife just came back from the Republican convention briefing.
The Convention is being held at the Coliseum by the way.

They said Concealed carry was OK but open carry was not and that was the Coliseum policy. That's according to Todd Vanderpol who is nobody I think but he is with the tea party which has demonstrated their anti gun feelings many times.

If I recall we finally got the city straight and preemption applies but the tenant (Republican Convention) could establish rules regulating carry.

I'm getting to the bottom of that tomorrow (as if I didn't have enough to do). If it's the Coliseum, time to talk to the Mayor's assistant again (A joke some of you wil understand). If it's the Republicans....they better put on fireproof drawers....if it's the Tea Party again....:cuss:

77zach

What was your wife doing at a Republican convention briefing? The R's in my state hate guns, except their expensive shotguns and 3'' kimber .45's that they can hide in their underwear. The last 3 Rublican presidents have been avowed gun grabbers. W never got the chance, his dad banned semi auto imports, reagan banned the right to carry guns in California, and all three supported the "assault weapons" ban. Yes, I understand how much worse the Democrats are.

I appreciate you peeling away the leadership's pro gun veneer, if indeed that ends up being the case here.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What was your wife doing at a Republican convention briefing? The R's in my state hate guns, except their expensive shotguns and 3'' kimber .45's that they can hide in their underwear. The last 3 Rublican presidents have been avowed gun grabbers. W never got the chance, his dad banned semi auto imports, reagan banned the right to carry guns in California, and all three supported the "assault weapons" ban. Yes, I understand how much worse the Democrats are.

I appreciate you peeling away the leadership's pro gun veneer, if indeed that ends up being the case here.

She's doing what the rest of us in Va are trying to do. Get and keep good people in office. The alternative is doing nothing or voting for people who couldn't win a cooking contest.

Can't help what the last couple of Presidents did. We haven't had one since I started voting almost 50 years ago...why should we start now.

If it makes you feel better..I'm not voting at all this year. I'm just gonna sit around and bitch.

optiksguy

My wife just came back from the Republican convention briefing.
The Convention is being held at the Coliseum by the way.

They said Concealed carry was OK but open carry was not and that was the Coliseum policy. That's according to Todd Vanderpol who is nobody I think but he is with the tea party which has demonstrated their anti gun feelings many times.

If I recall we finally got the city straight and preemption applies but the tenant (Republican Convention) could establish rules regulating carry.

I'm getting to the bottom of that tomorrow (as if I didn't have enough to do). If it's the Coliseum, time to talk to the Mayor's assistant again (A joke some of you wil understand). If it's the Republicans....they better put on fireproof drawers....if it's the Tea Party again....:cuss:

As I will be attending as well I had looked into this and did not see any prohibitions on OC:

From the Coliseum Website:
Prohibited Items
We ask that you arrive early and travel light, as you may be subject to search. This includes metal detecting and bag search. For safety reasons, prohibited items include but are not limited to:

Alcohol, drugs, illegal substances or any paraphernalia associated with drug use
Audio/Video recorders, professional cameras (at the request of promoters use of cell phones may be prohibited during events) and tripods
Cans, bottles, coolers or any outside food or drink
Fireworks
Flags or signs with poles
Laser pens or pointers of any type
Noisemakers or air horns
Oversized bags
All Illegal guns and weapons are prohibited
Pepper spray/Mace
Chains, knives and spiked jewelry
Any other items deemed unacceptable by event/facility management

If an item is revealed during a search, patrons may dispose of the item or they may return the item to their vehicle. Richmond Coliseum does not safeguard any personal belongings of any type.

From the RPV Convention Website:

All patrons are subject to search upon entering
Smoking is not allowed inside the venue
Items that are prohibited include but are not limited to:
- Glass bottles, cans, and coolers
- Backpacks, large bags, and strollers
- Outside food and beverage
- Outside event merchandise
- Frisbees, beach balls, and helium balloons
- Silly string, confetti, laser pointers
- Any noise making devices
- Fireworks
- Illegal drugs and alcohol
- Unauthorized commercials signs, banners, and posters
- Animals (except service animals for patrons with disabilities)
Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy the Show!

**Does not apply to members of the media

Methinks Mr. Vanderpol is mistaken.

griffin

The president of Michigan Open Carry was recently prohibited from reentering the Michigan Republican Convention for OCing. They said it was because of house (Lansing Center) rules. The center said it wasn't their policy (and in fact it can't be by law). The MI (R) leadership lied, yet when confronted by law and their own stated policies they denied it all.

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2799.0.html

Includes video.

Last edited:

palerider116

As I said....the Teaparty has shown their antigun side many times before.

I'm wary about any new partisan group that pops up that is the polished poo of its deformed cousin. That being said, I still vote for the best person I can get.

The tea party is a rip off of a very brazen act that our forefathers did when they simply had enough. The Slumber Party needs to wake up and get ready to toss some tea overboard.

Changed a verboten word for poo.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The GOP has its anti-gunners .. join the libertarian party, very few there

GOP likes to "make deals" ... deal=screw you

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The GOP has its anti-gunners .. join the libertarian party, very few there

GOP likes to "make deals" ... deal=screw you

That's true David but the libertarians don't win any more elections than the Bear Clan Party and the Bears are more enjoyable to be around.
icon_roflmao.gif

Glockster

As an indication of how amped up we are what with all of the ongoing situations impacting our members....I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I realized that this thread wasn't about yet another OC'er arrested. :uhoh:

Justine

Thanks for this thread! I, too, will be at the convention, and am likely going to CC just because of the clothing I'll be wearing, but otherwise I much prefer OC. Of course, I'm not going to be going out of my way to conceal, and my jacket is the only thing that will be keeping my gun concealed, so if I were to take the jacket off, or the gun were to show, etc. Guess I'll get the low down when I get up there (or I'll keep following this thread for any and all info). :lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
WE WENT THROUGH THIS LAST TIME!! AND WON!!!!!!

Sorry for the shouting, but it just pisses me off how poorly some folks are able to remember.

Grapeshot & I were at the Colisium and at the registration/exhibitor area at the Convention Center every day - and I mean all over the place. We not only were OCing the whole time, we were passing out GSL stickers - well, the truth is we were nearly forced to beat people back with a stick, they were coming at us from all directions at once. We also talked with several folks who went back to their hotels to get their guns when they were told preemption applied to the two buildings and that the Republican Party was OK with OC/CC as well. They came back and showed us that they were in fact carrying.

VCDL will have an information table at the Convention, per PVC last night. If the Republican Party says no to OC then I'm going to ask that VCDL move outside and picket.

[rant]:cuss:Just what is it about the sight of a pistol/revolver openly carried by someone who is not a cop:cuss: that sends the Republican Party (or a small contingent of its minions) into such as PSH fit, while knowing that some folks may be discretely carrying does not bother them in the least?:cuss:[/rant]

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As an indication of how amped up we are what with all of the ongoing situations impacting our members....I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I realized that this thread wasn't about yet another OC'er arrested. :uhoh:

Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, Just you wait.

Can't be arrested for OCing at the Republican Convention until it starts. Right? (That is right, isn't it? Nobody is doing preemptive arrests - yet. Are they?)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
WE WENT THROUGH THIS LAST TIME!! AND WON!!!!!!

Sorry for the shouting, but it just pisses me off how poorly some folks are able to remember.

Grapeshot & I were at the Colisium and at the registration/exhibitor area at the Convention Center every day - and I mean all over the place. We not only were OCing the whole time, we were passing out GSL stickers - well, the truth is we were nearly forced to beat people back with a stick, they were coming at us from all directions at once. We also talked with several folks who went back to their hotels to get their guns when they were told preemption applied to the two buildings and that the Republican Party was OK with OC/CC as well. They came back and showed us that they were in fact carrying.

VCDL will have an information table at the Convention, per PVC last night. If the Republican Party says no to OC then I'm going to ask that VCDL move outside and picket.

[rant]:cuss:Just what is it about the sight of a pistol/revolver openly carried by someone who is not a cop:cuss: that sends the Republican Party (or a small contingent of its minions) into such as PSH fit, while knowing that some folks may be discretely carrying does not bother them in the least?:cuss:[/rant]

stay safe.

Don't get mad at the Republican Party yet Skid...(although Innsbrook hasn't been forgotten).

After digging for a half hour this morning all indications are that the TEA PARTY is up to it's old tricks and spreading bad information. I'll know for sure this afternoon but first I have to go into the city and pick up some papers.

Someday I may get time to mow my grass.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just a quick stroll down memory lane and I want to stress that many Tea Party members don't know about the nonsense their leaders pull....

http://news.oldva.org/?p=1644

Last week I wrote a story about apparently, anti gun actions by the Richmond Tea Party and associated groups. I offered to publish their side unedited. They chose to ignore my offer. As a result, I will not photograph any more of the Tea party events.
Yesterday, the Peninsula Patriots held their soiree. While inviting gun owners and Pro Second groups, they later asked people legally carrying weapons to put them away or cover up. I did not attend because of the reasons stated above.
One eyewitness said “while the land owners had previously said it was OK to open carry, after we’d been there about a half hour, the land owner came up to us and said that the Peninsula Patriots “Leadership” were not happy with us open carrying and wanted us to either conceal or remove our handguns. We were told the “Leadership” didn’t want us giving the media (one guy) reason to say we were “gun toten’ rednecks”.
Old Virginia is a Rural Affairs Group and while we are solidly behind gunowners and offer any support we can, leave the gun lobby to the experts at VCDL and GOA. As a group, we don’t have a dog in this fight.
As an individual, I Do! The following response by Tom Robinson is well written, well reasoned and with one glaring exception about classifying people who carry a gun….reasonable. It also smacks of deal making and political wrangling. Because of that I will still refuse to photograph any more rallies and I expect others will follow suit. You can’t pick and choose which parts of the Constitution a PRO CONSTITUTION group will support. It’s a package deal.
Tom Robinson’s response:
Good Morning Don,
I will be happy to answer your question. As an organizer for the Peninsula Patriots, I have been to many meetings, rallies, Tea Parties, Etc, both listening to, and presenting, 2nd Amendment speeches to those attending the events. In virtually EVERY case, a member of the media is present, with photographers, to “catch”
those choosing to openly carry at the events. The story is then changed to make the story about the “GUN” and not our RIGHT to carry one. I carry a gun every day, and have had occasions to use it to protect myself, and others, from certain death. Never, however, have I felt the necessity to display it openly as a “badge of courage”, although I will fight to the death to defend my right, and yours, to do so.

The Peninsula Patriots is a young, and still fragile, conservative movement.. We have already lost a few members who are afraid that we are becoming too vocal about the need to be prepared to use firearms, if necessary, to protect our freedoms. An open display of “gun totin’ Patriots, not Rednecks”, is very unsettling to many Americans, and we can’t afford to alienate current, and potential, members at this crucial time in our movement.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions…
1. Knowing that you have the right to own and carry a weapon virtually anywhere throughout Virginia, WHY do you feel the need to brandish your weapons openly in a friendly, non-threatening, environment? Were you concerned that you were going to be attacked by some unknown alien forces while attending a Patriotic rally?
2. Several of those attending were actually making comical statements about one of your members who felt the need to not only openly carry a fully-loaded, semi-automatic weapon to a conservative rally, but also felt it necessary to carry multiple extra clips and other paraphernalia, just in case we came under a massive attack. Do you not realize that the legal, but inappropriate, “in your face” display of weaponry probably did your, and my, movement more harm than good?
3. To put this in a more logical perspective…Virtually every Virginian, with the exception of felons and nut cases, has the right to openly carry a weapon, so that part is no big deal. It is your license to carry a CONCEALED weapon that sets you apart from those who don’t possess a similar permit. That being said…You may have a fishing license, but do you feel compelled to carry your rod and reel to the movies? You have a license to drive a car, but do you feel it is necessary to park it next to you at church? I could go on and on.
Although I have spent many years in law enforcement internationally, both in counter-terrorism and counter-drug activities, I am also actively involved in marketing and public relations. Knowing the correct time and place to “show your wares”
is a key component in successfully “selling” your products, services and ideas. Presenting your members as “casual commandos”
in yesterday’s friendly, non-threatening setting was clearly “overkill”, and turned many potential members away from your worthy cause.

As a professional in the field of law enforcement I would like to give a little sage advice. Law enforcement agencies train their officers to pay close attention to anyone who feels compelled to openly brandish a loaded weapon in public. Those openly carrying are put in various categories and observed accordingly. 1st. Power trip – The need to present the appearance of power to overcome feelings of inadequacy. 2nd. Need for authority - All too often, those individuals openly carrying weapons wanted to be a police officer with the power, but not the responsibility, that goes with the job. They were rejected for various reasons, usually psychological, followed by obesity, at which point many of them applied for positions as deputy sheriffs, then private security officers…anything that would give them a feeling of power over others. Although I am not accusing any members of your group of fitting into that category, it is a profile observed by most agencies and officers.
Don, I am 100% behind you, and I applaud your continuing efforts to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I am just trying to use years’
of experience to assist you in waging a just and Holy war against those who would quickly deprive us of our freedoms if given half a chance. HooRah. Keep up the great work you are doing for ALL Americans.

All the best,
Tom

nuc65

Activist Member
Just a quick stroll down memory lane and I want to stress that many Tea Party members don't know about the nonsense their leaders pull....

I say this letter displays a stated ignorance:

I will be happy to answer your question. As an organizer for the Peninsula Patriots, I have been to many meetings, rallies, Tea Parties, Etc, both listening to, and presenting, 2nd Amendment speeches to those attending the events. In virtually EVERY case, a member of the media is present, with photographers, to “catch”
those choosing to openly carry at the events. The story is then changed to make the story about the “GUN” and not our RIGHT to carry one. I carry a gun every day, and have had occasions to use it to protect myself, and others, from certain death. Never, however, have I felt the necessity to display it openly as a “badge of courage”, although I will fight to the death to defend my right, and yours, to do so.

The "RIGHT" to carry is fully infringed and abridged and not a "RIGHT" when you accept that it requires a certificate of privilege (CHP) to exercise this right in the manner he states.
The "RIGHT" to carry a "GUN" should be just that, mode of carry should not matter. It is hypocritical to state you support it (but only concealed because any other way is bad image) but then don't.

Glockster

Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, Just you wait.

Can't be arrested for OCing at the Republican Convention until it starts. Right? (That is right, isn't it? Nobody is doing preemptive arrests - yet. Are they?)

stay safe.

Oh LOL! :eek:

Glockster

I'm sorry....he lost me right after this truly imbecilic (well, could be just ignorant I suppose) opening statement....

WHY do you feel the need to brandish your weapons openly in a friendly, non-threatening, environment?

But sure do 'preciate his sayings dat hes supperting 'r rahts dat wayes.... :banghead:

va_tazdad

As with most "professionals in law enforcement" I bet

This "Tom" is as dumb as a box of rocks about security. I doubt he has anywhere near the training and experience in "security" as I do. Most idiot cops think because they passed a 12-16 week training academe for police work that they know all about how to prevent it.

They generally know nothing about lighting, CCTV systems, alarm systems, landscaping or even parking. I have worked both sides of this fence and to tell the truth, there are far less "wannabees" in security than uneducated fools in law enforcement.

Unfortunately, he is correct about the incorrect low opinion by law enforcement of security.

Assistance from fools like Tom is unneeded and unwanted.

Last edited: