Thread: Henry Mares Leg

Henry Mares Leg

I just received the holster for my .22 Mares leg in the mail a few weeks ago. The mares leg is classed as a pistol and my IN LTC should allow me to carry it where i please(observing all laws). I normally carry a Glock 17 or my Rossi 461, i figured on some days it would be fun to take the mares leg out for a spin, and for all the bad wrapping .22LR can stop a threat just shot placement is key, and im comfortable using this for SD. I also know im going to stand out like a sore thumb, and might have to deal with LEOs more often.

Just want some info from those who have carried a mares leg OC in public, or if anyone else considered this in either .22, .357, or 44 (don't want to make this into a caliber debate please).

I'm still toying with the idea of getting one. I'm enamoured with the .45 Colt, so that would be a the morally imperative caliber, though the .22 would be a lot more practical for shooting in this platform, in my opinion.

I'd definitely mount a green laser for using it, unless the Creedmore position will always be a readily available option.

Caution: it might make you look like a big, damn hero:
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

good idea on the laser MAC702. I never thought about adding one, any idea how to mount one? i was thinking of a barrel clamp giving it a rail on the bottom. This would be a fun range idea i dont think i will need it while OCing.
    Last edited by DocSkunk; 05-01-2013 at 03:49 AM.

"It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Now I want one!!!

Uhhhh, I mean the rifle!!! Honest!!
    Last edited by SFCRetired; 05-01-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

I love my two Marlin 94 rifles, but the mares leg does not interest me. First I hate those large loop levers, and then it takes two hands to shoot, unless you want to try spinning between shots. But you should base how you OC on you, not anyone else. You certainly will get some attention, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. I get a few double takes every now and then, I assume because I carry two OC handguns, and a knife.

I refer you to Nike V Converse, "Just do it!"...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

This I like. And I always loved Zoe. I have seen these before and I was looking at a similar holster for an AOW.
    OCing should be fun with the lever pistol. Now I do like to be semi discreet so I can make OC more "normal" in my neighborhood. This would be a fun "event gun" in my opine. Let us know how you OC goes with this.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Great looking gun!

I was always more partial to Vera...

I've never shot one before, but I heard they are fun and I have toyed with the idea of owning one.

At least on the centerfire calibers(not so much rimfires) one of my big hang-ups on all of the Henry products is the loading method. I have a very strong preference for a side loading gate, especially at the the price point of the center fire Henry guns.

The Rossi Ranch Hand is the same basic idea as the Mare's Leg, but does have a side loading gate. I've been impressed with the Rossi lever action rifles I've handled, although the lever isn't as smooth as a Henry nor are they as "pretty." They're quite a bit less expensive than their Henry equivalents, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    At least on the centerfire calibers(not so much rimfires) one of my big hang-ups on all of the Henry products is the loading method. I have a very strong preference for a side loading gate, especially at the the price point of the center fire Henry guns.
    This is 100% of the reason I don't own a Henry Big Boy. Their quality is great but the lack of a loading gate is a deal killer for me.