Thread: Jackson Cop illegally arrests man for filming traffic stop

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Jackson Cop illegally arrests man for filming traffic stop

this is slightly OT, but good info for those who open carry and record while doing so (especially in the jackson area)

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2013/05/01/michigan-cop-rips-camera-from-mans-hands-and-handcuffs-him-for-video-recording-traffic-stop/

excerpt:
    A Michigan cop ripped a camera out of a man’s hands, threw it on the ground and handcuffed him after the man refused to hand the camera over as “evidence.”
    But Brandon Vreeland was under no obligation to hand his camera over because all he was doing was video recording a traffic stop from about 100 feet away.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 05-01-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

“When they saw the video, their faces went stone-cold and they apologized and said the charges would be rescinded,” Vreeland said in a telephone interview with Photography is Not a Crime Tuesday night.

He also said they gave him money to purchase a new camera and assured him the incident would be investigated by internal affairs, which is practically unheard of in other departments.
    Strikes me as strange that the Chief believes that he can "rescind" a criminal charge once it has been made. I used to think that was reserved for the prosecutor to decline to bring the charge to trial or for the judge to throw it out (dismiss with prejudice). But I guess the streamlining of the judicial process in an attempt to keep your butt from being sued is better than just sitting there with your head in your hands, moaning about the end of your career.

The money the chief gave him - was it out of his own pocket or from some hitherto unknown slush fund used to buy off potential lawsuits? Either way, Loss Prevention (if not LP + HR) might be a tad bit upset at what the chief did and how he did it. Or not - depending on how close to straight arrow those folks are.

Mighty brave of the chief to refer the matter to IA now that he has committed two serious mis-steps himself. Oh, wait! Who does IA report to? Why, the chief, of course.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

The meeting with the chief should have been recorded. That would have been an interesting watch. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in court unless it becomes another sealed case in which we'll never know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mikestilly View Post
    The meeting with the chief should have been recorded. That would have been an interesting watch. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in court unless it becomes another sealed case in which we'll never know what happens.
    maybe it was
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 05-01-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Jack booted thugs still exist everywhere. Sometimes this behavior is the result of "training".
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

yeah, along those lines, don't forget that forensic recover is an option if they don't confiscate or smash your memory card:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS-4s...em-uploademail

Banned
    The guy would have had grounds to arrest the cop for assault and battery

The double standard is already in effect here. The lack of an arrest of the officer proves it.

Mayor: mgriffin@cityofjackson.org

Attorney General: miag@michigan.gov

City Attorney: dnoga@cityofjackson.org
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Re: Jackson Cop illegally arrests man for filming traffic stop

Jackson PD has had issues with officer conduct for years now. I rembember the multiple illegal detainments of kimberguy back in 2009, by the same officer for legal OC. Last I heard that officer is up for a promotion. Paul Albrecht is an example of what Jackson PD really thinks & does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAxs5l1cO0

Second illegal detainment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMaJKEVTAo
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Jack booted thugs still exist everywhere. Sometimes this behavior is the result of "training".
    Exactly. Cops do this kind of thing because they've been told to by their superiors. He just wasn't subtle enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Exactly. Cops do this kind of thing because they've been told to by their superiors. He just wasn't subtle enough.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Had there not been a damning video, this would have been blown off by them as just another civilian A-Hole who thinks he's a lawyer...yada...yada...yada... blah...blah...humbug..is that your little dog toto? There are good police agencies and rotten ones. I my book Jackson is near the bottom of the crapper. They need a good flush from the top down, just as Lansing does and Detroit.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-03-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Had there not been a damning video, this would have been blown off by them as just another civilian A-Hole who thinks he's a lawyer...yada...yada...yada... blah...blah...humbug..is that your little dog toto? There are good police agencies and rotten ones. I my book Jackson is near the bottom of the crapper. They need a good flush from the top down, just as Lansing does and Detroit.
    Lansing has come around. LPD held traffic for the Second Amendment March down Michigan Ave 1.5 months ago. No one asked them to, no one pulled a permit, they just did it.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Lansing has come around. LPD held traffic for the Second Amendment March down Michigan Ave 1.5 months ago. No one asked them to, no one pulled a permit, they just did it.
    This is good to hear, I hope they continue in that professional manner.

Exclamation

^^^THIS^^^

AND Warren!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    AND Warren!
    Oh man - I try to block those dirtbags from memory whenever I can. As a wise OCer once said "my skin crawls everytime I'm near that dirty town..." (think I got it pretty close minus profanity). Thugs have been hired in gross by that city.

ETA - I hope one day you can either flush the whole crew there Jeff - or escape to a freedom loving land.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-04-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Oh man - I try to block those dirtbags from memory whenever I can. As a wise OCer once said "my skin crawls everytime I'm near that dirty town..." (think I got it pretty close minus profanity). Thugs have been hired in gross by that city.

ETA - I hope one day you can either flush the whole crew there Jeff - or escape to a freedom loving land.
    Reminds me of a fun video that I believe you've seen. :-D
    ...and may have been in.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 05-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.