• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommended reading

Eeyore

I came across this refreshing article in a blog by a liberal gun owner:

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/dear-democratic-gun-control-lobby-how-to-get-better/

There were lots of positive comments by liberals and conservatives. (I commented as CarryOn92.)

Even though the media like to paint the gun control debate as a Democrat vs. Republican issue, it's not. Although the NRA's scoring system for legislators appears to be even-handed, the NRA senior leadership is blatantly pro-Republican. I think this works against them, since it's easy for the media to discount their positions as just being contrarian. Post-Sandy Hook, Wayne LaPierre came out swinging, which was (understandably) seen by many as heavy-handed and insensitive. Increased security and finding a mechanism to consider mental health in NICS are the only proposals that might actually reduce incidents like Sandy Hook/Aurora/Tucson/Columbine, but they were dismissed out-of-hand because the media don't like him. And because blaming guns and the NRA is easier, cheaper, and more politically expedient.