• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hypothetical Situation regarding buying guns online...

Numenor

This came up on AR15.com, but I was wondering what this community thought.

What would you do, if a firearm you bought through an online dealer was sent directly to your house instead of to the FFL you'd set up to receive it?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This came up on AR15.com, but I was wondering what this community thought.

What would you do, if a firearm you bought through an online dealer was sent directly to your house instead of to the FFL you'd set up to receive it?

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Unless it was a handgun in a boc small enough to fit in my mailbox the postal carrier is supposed to leave me a notice to pick it up from the local PO. When I got there and saw who the package was from I should refuse delivery which would mean the package is returned to the sender. While it is on the way back Iwould call and advise them of the error in addressing it.

With that in mind, if my local carrier did not follow procedures and left it, I would call my local ATFEieio office for guidance. From a phone that could not be traced to me.

My hope is that they would instruct me to take everything to the designated FFL and ask them to process it onto their books as being received from the seller, and then to transfer it to me. If that's what was said, I would ask that they initiate a 3-way call with the FFL and repeat everything. I would be using my digital voice recorder from the beginning of the call. (I'm in a one-party state so no problems. If you are in a 2-party or all-parties state follow those rules.) I might also ask that an email or fax be sent to the FFL covering what was said in the phone conversation.

Once the FFL is identified to ATFEieio they can try to ID me if the FFL keeps a list of guns they are expecting to receive and who they are for.

After getting all that done I would contact the sender to advise them of the error in who they shipped the gun to, so that they could get ready to answer questions from their friendly local AFTEieio agent.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would assume that the ffl sent it to the wrong address -- yours instead of the designated ffl on your end that you arraigned with the distant ffl.

So, I would contact the distant ffl seller and see if this is the case ~ he may need to make a fix in his ledger book...

People make clerical mistakes ... then take the gun to the designated ffl to do the transfer.

All fixed then.

I would not record (and make a record that could be used against you or drag you into a unnecessary case by a zealous gov't official?-that's crazy IMO) any of it.

I'm assuming that you & the distant ffl made proper arraignments.

But 1 final ? - is this online dealer in your state? If so, then another solution would be in order...

Last edited: