Thread: OT question about AOWs,SBRs and SBSs?

OT question about AOWs,SBRs and SBSs?

I know that Tax stamps are required for getting short barreled shotguns and such and Im interested in maybe getting one if I can come up with the money so how do I go about getting the tax stamp and everything that is needed to get one?

Clark County, NV-----------------------Mohave County, AZ
    Did you guys get those legalized again? Washington recently legalized the use of suppressors, but last I heard you still couldn't have SBRs/SBSs, though bills were proposed to get that reversed again.
    Blue & Gold Firearms Training; Clark County, NV
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Did you guys get those legalized again? Washington recently legalized the use of suppressors, but last I heard you still couldn't have SBRs/SBSs, though bills were proposed to get that reversed again.
    Ahhh I had no clue that we couldn't have them here I was just looking into them and took an interest in maybe getting one but now I have a feeling that may not happen maybe someone else from Wa will come along and clarify

State law prohibits possession of fully auto, SBRs, SBSs, and AOWs.

9.41.220 Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.
    All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 05-02-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Bellingham, Wa. city of Subdued Excitement
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post

9.41.220 Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.
    All.................or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, ....................
    Does this part mean I can have one "legally" with a transfer stamp??

Or you can do what I did. I build AR platform pistols.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Washi...66874943419858

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Does this part mean I can have one "legally" with a transfer stamp??

Or you can do what I did. I build AR platform pistols.
    Good question.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Not so fast....

You're all looking at the wrong statute, 9.41.220 only states that illegal machine guns SBRs yada yada yada are contraband.

the preceeding statute, 9.41.190 makes them illegal

RCW 9.41.190
    Unlawful firearms Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any peace officer in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty, or to any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty; or

(b) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles:

(i) To be used or purchased by the armed forces of the United States;

(ii) To be used or purchased by federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agencies; or

(iii) For exportation in compliance with all applicable federal laws and regulations.

(3) It shall be an affirmative defense to a prosecution brought under this section that the machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle was acquired prior to July 1, 1994, and is possessed in compliance with federal law.

(4) Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post

Wrong, AOW's are permitted in WA.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

To the best of my knowledge (DD) Destructive Devices are legal here also.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Wouldn't a "short-barreled" rifle be a handgun?
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)
    [/I]

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Wouldn't a "short-barreled" rifle be a handgun?
    No.

Wasn't there an SBR bill in the legislature this past session? What happened to it?

A short barreled rifle has a shoulder stock and a shorter than 16 in barrel. A pistol has no shoulder stock and is meant to be fired with one hand(hence no front pistol grip) altho you can use magpuls angled foregrip as ATF does not consider it a "pistol grip". The AR pistol still has a buffer tube, but ATF does not consider that a stock. You CAN put a "cheek rest" on the B tube(ATF letter available)and use it that way. I have a letter in to ATF requesting "permission" to use a foam pool noodle on the buffer tube to protect it.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Suppressors, AOWs, and Destructive Devices are legal in WA.

SBRs, SBSs, and MGs are sadly not.

Hopefully that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by leitung View Post
    Suppressors, AOWs, and Destructive Devices are legal in WA.

SBRs, SBSs, and MGs are sadly not.

Hopefully that will change.
    Just get an AR pistol.

And the SB15...

Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    And the SB15...
    Techno, is that attachment legal? It looks like a shoulder stock and could render the pistol an SBR. Is there an ATF letter approving it? I like the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Techno, is that attachment legal? It looks like a shoulder stock and could render the pistol an SBR. Is there an ATF letter approving it? I like the concept.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Thanks mate. I added this to my ATF file.