• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT question about AOWs,SBRs and SBSs?

brad98801

I know that Tax stamps are required for getting short barreled shotguns and such and Im interested in maybe getting one if I can come up with the money so how do I go about getting the tax stamp and everything that is needed to get one?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Did you guys get those legalized again? Washington recently legalized the use of suppressors, but last I heard you still couldn't have SBRs/SBSs, though bills were proposed to get that reversed again.

brad98801

Did you guys get those legalized again? Washington recently legalized the use of suppressors, but last I heard you still couldn't have SBRs/SBSs, though bills were proposed to get that reversed again.

Ahhh I had no clue that we couldn't have them here I was just looking into them and took an interest in maybe getting one but now I have a feeling that may not happen maybe someone else from Wa will come along and clarify

tombrewster421

State law prohibits possession of fully auto, SBRs, SBSs, and AOWs.

9.41.220 Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.
All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
State law prohibits possession of fully auto, SBRs, SBSs, and AOWs.

9.41.220 Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.
All.................or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, ....................

Does this part mean I can have one "legally" with a transfer stamp??

Or you can do what I did. I build AR platform pistols.

EMNofSeattle

Not so fast....

You're all looking at the wrong statute, 9.41.220 only states that illegal machine guns SBRs yada yada yada are contraband.

the preceeding statute, 9.41.190 makes them illegal

RCW 9.41.190
Unlawful firearms — Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any peace officer in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty, or to any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty; or

(b) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles:

(i) To be used or purchased by the armed forces of the United States;

(ii) To be used or purchased by federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agencies; or

(iii) For exportation in compliance with all applicable federal laws and regulations.

(3) It shall be an affirmative defense to a prosecution brought under this section that the machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle was acquired prior to July 1, 1994, and is possessed in compliance with federal law.

(4) Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony.

jeeper1

To the best of my knowledge (DD) Destructive Devices are legal here also.

Alpine

Wasn't there an SBR bill in the legislature this past session? What happened to it?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
A short barreled rifle has a shoulder stock and a shorter than 16 in barrel. A pistol has no shoulder stock and is meant to be fired with one hand(hence no front pistol grip) altho you can use magpuls angled foregrip as ATF does not consider it a "pistol grip". The AR pistol still has a buffer tube, but ATF does not consider that a stock. You CAN put a "cheek rest" on the B tube(ATF letter available)and use it that way. I have a letter in to ATF requesting "permission" to use a foam pool noodle on the buffer tube to protect it.

TechnoWeenie

Suppressors, AOWs, and Destructive Devices are legal in WA.

SBRs, SBSs, and MGs are sadly not.

Hopefully that will change.

Just get an AR pistol.

And the SB15...

sig-sauer-sb15-brace.jpg

[video=youtube;tsqy73wE5Eo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsqy73wE5Eo[/video]