Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83

Thread: Student expelled, charged with a felony after he forgot his shotgun was in his truck

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322

    Student expelled, charged with a felony after he forgot his shotgun was in his truck

    http://news.yahoo.com/student-expell...154224579.html

    Talk about terrible laws! 30-40 years ago, people had shotguns in their unlocked trucks in the school parking lots and we didn't have problems.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  2. #2
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    I heard about this on the radio. I hope cooler heads prevail and the student is not punished beyond what he has endured to date. It will be good to have this incident expunged from all of his permanent records.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  3. #3
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    This story is going viral. In about 5 hours, his Facebook support page has grown from 6,400 members, to over 8,500. Some dude is clicking "confirm" just about as fast as he can.

    Kid was overheard on the phone with his mom asking her to come get the truck with the unloaded shotgun, forgotten from a weekend camping trip with skeet shooting.

    Mass hypocrisy at play, because two years ago, a school administrator left a LOADED handgun in her car while students in auto shop were working on it. Students found gun and then hid it out of sight. Administrator not punished AT ALL.

    We need someone like the SAF to get involved. This is a perfect case to review gun laws that do not require malicious intent to turn someone into a felon.

    TFred

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156

    Gets Huge (Awesome) Surprise. Falwell's Liberty U. Full-ride!

    Falwell said “common sense” should have prevailed in Withrow’s case. “I think they were just trying to make a point that guns are evil,” he explained. “Our society is just going too far.”

    Before it was understood that Withrow would be able to graduate by completing an alternative schooling program, Liberty University was also offering to let him wrap-up his high school requirements through their online academy.

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-in-his-truck/

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Student expelled, charged with a felony after he forgot his shotgun was in his

    I hope that some college looks at his record and says that they don't care whether or not he has a piece of paper from a high school, that they will accept him anyway and will give him a full ride.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  6. #6
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Falwell said “common sense” should have prevailed in Withrow’s case. “I think they were just trying to make a point that guns are evil,” he explained. “Our society is just going too far.”

    Before it was understood that Withrow would be able to graduate by completing an alternative schooling program, Liberty University was also offering to let him wrap-up his high school requirements through their online academy.

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-in-his-truck/
    A nice idea, but if they don't stop the prosecution, this kid could be a felon, spending his next few years in PRISON, not class.

    TFred

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    A Princeton boy should know better than to follow Biden's goof-ball advice...

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    There is more discussion in the NC forum http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...00#post1933200

    Included is some information on how to contact the players. Just remember to be nice, spell correctly, and do try to keep it short, sweet and on topic.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There is more discussion in the NC forum http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...00#post1933200

    Included is some information on how to contact the players. Just remember to be nice, spell correctly, and do try to keep it short, sweet and on topic.

    stay safe.
    Yes. When one is a guest in another State's forum, he should be deferential to those whose State it is.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Yes. When one is a guest in another State's forum, he should be deferential to those whose State it is.
    Is that a rule? I read the rules...I did not see that...

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Is that a rule? I read the rules...I did not see that...
    Anyone who does not know the answer to that question, well, their ignorance is monumental. Your response also indicates a woeful lack of reading prowess (or an intentional misreading, neither of which speaks well of you). When one writes of what "should" be done, he is not necessarily (and almost never) citing a rule. He is almost always stating a preference.

    Again you demonstrate why rational people should not lend any credence to anything you write. Moving on.

    On edit: I notice that I used the word "should" in the next to last sentence. For the reading-impaired, I should point out that the word does not indicate that a rule exists. Dang, I did it again.
    Last edited by eye95; 05-03-2013 at 11:08 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I hope that some college looks at his record and says that they don't care whether or not he has a piece of paper from a high school, that they will accept him anyway and will give him a full ride.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    He got a full boat scholarship from Liberty University, one he wanted to go to but couldn't afford. If the criminal charges are dropped I'd say this is a win all around for him, and another black eye for "zero tolerance" policies everywhere.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by ldsgeek View Post
    He got a full boat scholarship from Liberty University, one he wanted to go to but couldn't afford. If the criminal charges are dropped I'd say this is a win all around for him, and another black eye for "zero tolerance" policies everywhere.
    And hopefully it can move even further forward and we can get rid of this stupid GFSZ all together!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    And hopefully it can move even further forward and we can get rid of this stupid GFSZ all together!
    They only seem to trip up Good Guys. They never stop the bad guys. Never convince a progressive of that though.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by ldsgeek View Post
    another black eye for "zero tolerance" policies everywhere.
    Zero tolerance is euphemism for thoughtlessness.

  16. #16
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ldsgeek View Post
    He got a full boat scholarship from Liberty University, one he wanted to go to but couldn't afford. If the criminal charges are dropped I'd say this is a win all around for him, and another black eye for "zero tolerance" policies everywhere.
    Everyone keeps saying that, but everyone seems to forget that this young man is facing a FELONY charge, so your "if" is a HUGE "IF". He will be spending this fall either at Liberty University, OR in PRISON. The LU scholarship was a very nice thing, no doubt... but it is distracting everyone from the much more important issue at hand, the fact that these gun-grabbing liberals have every intent to turn this Eagle Scout into a CRIMINAL. You watch, they will offer him a plea down to a "misdemeanor" of some sort, which would leave him with a criminal record for the rest of his life. It's how they roll.

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    They only seem to trip up Good Guys. They never stop the bad guys. Never convince a progressive of that though.
    Of course you won't, because progressives view ALL private gun owners as "bad guys". They see how the GFSZA works and don't have a problem with it. It works exactly as they intended for it to work.

    It is one of the most heinous and offensive laws on the books in the entire United States. It needs to go.

    TFred

  17. #17
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    Zero Tolerance is just an excuse for the administration not to use common sense and discretion, because with discretion you need to be able to articulate why a certain decision was made.

    It's much easier for the principal to just say "there is nothing we can do, we have a zero tolerance policy."

    These kind of situations make me really concerned for our future, we have given them so much power, even when it makes no sense.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  18. #18
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    What got my attention was the fact that school staff have brought loaded handguns on school property and have only been suspended for a short period and with no criminal charges. Yet here is a very bright student and an Eagle Scout who makes an honest mistake, tries to correct the mistake, and is both expelled and charged with a felony.

    The message I get out of this is, "There is one law for you sheep (students in this case) and a separate law for the ruling elite (school personnel).

    If the prosecutor in this case has the common sense (which the school administration does not have) to do the right thing, he/she will drop all charges and petition the court to expunge the arrest record.

    Personal opinion: Zero Tolerance equates to Zero Sanity.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    For the reading-impaired, I should point out that the word does not indicate that a rule exists. Dang, I did it again.
    Well, I don't think that YOU write the rules of the forum ... I'm sure that you are a legend , in you own mind

    And since I actually agree with most of your postings (not the acrid manner of how you post but the basic premise of what you say) then it appears as if you are saying that folks should not pay attention to anything you say either.

    Ka-POW !

    Its too logical, Captain, for this life form to comprehend.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/student-expell...154224579.html

    Talk about terrible laws! 30-40 years ago, people had shotguns in their unlocked trucks in the school parking lots and we didn't have problems.
    http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/educat...url_redirect=1

    See their website .... "building a community of excellence, one student at a time"


    http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/educat...ctionid=14670&
    And they have a hunter safety team ???? !!!!!

    http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/educat...ectionid=5213&
    How can they have a "christian" club????
    Listed below is a portion or the FCA's competitor's Creed

    *I am a Christian first and last.
    *I am created in the likeness of God almighty to bring him glory.
    *I wear the colors of the cross.
    *I am a Christian competitor and as such I face my challenger with the face of Christ.
    *My body is the temple of Jesus Christ. I protect it from within and without. Nothing enters my body that does not honor the Living God.
    *I give my all - all of the time. I do not give up. I do not give in. I do not give out.

    Please see club information for meeting dates and times.
    God Bless You,
    Michael Price
    Bruce Proctor


    They are beggging for people to be messing with their school.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Student expelled, charged with a felony after he forgot his shotgun was in his

    Since he chose not to quote the whole post, which hid his post being a complete non-sequitur, I will post the full quote of my post, followed by his. As I have moved on, I will add nothing new and just let the two full and unedited [save for some added bolding] posts stand side-by-side:

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Anyone who does not know the answer to that question, well, their ignorance is monumental. Your response also indicates a woeful lack of reading prowess (or an intentional misreading, neither of which speaks well of you). When one writes of what "should" be done, he is not necessarily (and almost never) citing a rule. He is almost always stating a preference.

    Again you demonstrate why rational people should not lend any credence to anything you write. Moving on.

    On edit: I notice that I used the word "should" in the next to last sentence. For the reading-impaired, I should point out that the word does not indicate that a rule exists. Dang, I did it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, I don't think that YOU write the rules of the forum ... I'm sure that you are a legend , in you own mind

    And since I actually agree with most of your postings (not the acrid manner of how you post but the basic premise of what you say) then it appears as if you are saying that folks should not pay attention to anything you say either.

    Ka-POW !

    Its too logical, Captain, for this life form to comprehend.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    What got my attention was the fact that school staff have brought loaded handguns on school property and have only been suspended for a short period and with no criminal charges. Yet here is a very bright student and an Eagle Scout who makes an honest mistake, tries to correct the mistake, and is both expelled and charged with a felony.

    The message I get out of this is, "There is one law for you sheep (students in this case) and a separate law for the ruling elite (school personnel).

    If the prosecutor in this case has the common sense (which the school administration does not have) to do the right thing, he/she will drop all charges and petition the court to expunge the arrest record.

    Personal opinion: Zero Tolerance equates to Zero Sanity.

    Someone done goofed when writing the law. Previous idiots should have been charged & convicted of a felony, the felony/misdemeanor distinction is somewhat ridiculous.

    But the real question, which I haven't seen answered: Was the shotgun unloaded and in a locked container (rack or cab of truck)? If so, no crime was committed.

  23. #23
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    just got a GRNC alert on this. Paul seem to be confident that the wording on that law that GRNC had put in, will help him. it seems that the word "knowingly" violating the law will be punished. the issuance was that he "unknowingly" brought the gun ,that he should not be charged.

    Paul made a reference to the past thing where a staff person brought a gun on school for two weeks.then a shop kid found it. the person was suspended for three days and no charges was filed
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by joanie View Post
    My mom grew up in kentucky, she told me her brothers (my uncles) would go hunting after school, as did other students. It was normal to sit in class with the view of long guns leaning up in the corner of the class room. Like hanging up your coat on the rack. I don't know if buses ran, but she told me her brothers walked it.
    My father was born 1924 and reared near Greenup (I was there just a month ago). A younger brother died of a GSW from playing cops and robbers. My father told of learning to drive the Model A truck while grandfather threw the jugs of moonshine off to frustrate the pursuing revenuers.

  25. #25
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    just got a GRNC alert on this.
    Here's the referenced alert, which includes a link to donate to the defense fund.

    Those GRNC folks aren't fooling around. They are calling for the prosecution of the other staff member from her incident two years ago...

    TFred

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •