View Poll Results: Do You Carry With A Light Attached?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I Use A Light

1 9.09%
  • No, I Don't Use A Light

10 90.91%

Thread: Light or No Light?

Light or No Light?

I recently started carrying my Glocks with a TLR-1S in a Safariland holster. I wouldn't use this as a replacement for the Streamlight that's a part of my EDC, but I figure since it's on there for home defense, it might as well be on there 24/7. Here's my current rig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130502_143138.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	10340

How many of you guys carry with a weapon light attached at all times?
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

I only want to carry one light. Since I am more likely to need the light than the firearm, I do not use one attached to it.

If I was frequently in dark strange places, I would reconsider.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Attached at all times? No. But in my pocket or on the belt is a Safariland RLS with my usual flashlight.

I thought about a light for the home defense gun, but I thought about two things:

1) I don't want to point the gun at something or someone I'm not willing to snuff out. So, if it is my 15 year old son out of bed at 3 in the morning for some reason, I don't want to point a gun at him to see it is him
    2) If it is an intruder, I don't want to be shining a light around trying to find him and he knows exactly where I am.

Having said that, there are a lot of good reasons to have one. Just my opinion.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians." - George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Mantioch View Post
    I thought about a light for the home defense gun, but I thought about two things:

1) I don't want to point the gun at something or someone I'm not willing to snuff out. So, if it is my 15 year old son out of bed at 3 in the morning for some reason, I don't want to point a gun at him to see it is him
    2) If it is an intruder, I don't want to be shining a light around trying to find him and he knows exactly where I am.

Having said that, there are a lot of good reasons to have one. Just my opinion.
    I agree, a light on a gun can lead to flagging others with your muzzle.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Thanks for the input ya'll. So, for those of you who would clear your house with a separate light, what method of carrying it do you use?

Edit: That was phrased horribly. By method, I mean do you hold the light above and away from you, with your gun in the other hand? Or do you cross it under the arm holding the gun? Sorry, I'm forgetting all the names for these methods.
    Last edited by MainelyGlock; 05-09-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    Thanks for the input ya'll. So, for those of you who would clear your house with a separate light, what method of carrying it do you use?

Edit: That was phrased horribly. By method, I mean do you hold the light above and away from you, with your gun in the other hand? Or do you cross it under the arm holding the gun? Sorry, I'm forgetting all the names for these methods.
    In the few occasions where I thought someone was in the house and had somehow gotten past the alarm, I go downstairs in the dark. I have certain lights that stay on at night that will illuminate spaces I can see from the dark staircase without giving up my position. On occasions when I've had to go outside, I have a standard grip on the weapon with this mini mag stuck between my figures. That probably sucks and would result in me dropping the lightif I had to actually fire on someone. I need a larger flashlight to cross under my weapon.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians." - George Mason

I don't clear the house. The dog does.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I just toss a flashbang. If anyone dives for cover then there's someone in the house. If no one dives for cover then I pick it back up and make sure the pin is still inserted.

My place is so small that I can quite literally clear the whole house with the exception of the garage from where I sleep.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 05-10-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I don't clear the house. The dog does.
    Oh, yes! I miss the Great Dane my wife and I had when we first got married. Never had to worry about her when I was working late. I had to worry about me when I came home. Her concept of a challenge and reply was a bit different than mine - nearly got eaten several times.