• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Light or No Light?

Do You Carry With A Light Attached?

• Yes, I Use A Light

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, I Don't Use A Light

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

MainelyGlock

I recently started carrying my Glocks with a TLR-1S in a Safariland holster. I wouldn't use this as a replacement for the Streamlight that's a part of my EDC, but I figure since it's on there for home defense, it might as well be on there 24/7. Here's my current rig.

20130502_143138.jpg

How many of you guys carry with a weapon light attached at all times?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I only want to carry one light. Since I am more likely to need the light than the firearm, I do not use one attached to it.

If I was frequently in dark strange places, I would reconsider.

Fallschirjmäger

Attached at all times? No. But in my pocket or on the belt is a Safariland RLS with my usual flashlight.
60146.jpg

Mantioch

I thought about a light for the home defense gun, but I thought about two things:

1) I don't want to point the gun at something or someone I'm not willing to snuff out. So, if it is my 15 year old son out of bed at 3 in the morning for some reason, I don't want to point a gun at him to see it is him
2) If it is an intruder, I don't want to be shining a light around trying to find him and he knows exactly where I am.

Having said that, there are a lot of good reasons to have one. Just my opinion.

ron73440

I thought about a light for the home defense gun, but I thought about two things:

1) I don't want to point the gun at something or someone I'm not willing to snuff out. So, if it is my 15 year old son out of bed at 3 in the morning for some reason, I don't want to point a gun at him to see it is him
2) If it is an intruder, I don't want to be shining a light around trying to find him and he knows exactly where I am.

Having said that, there are a lot of good reasons to have one. Just my opinion.

I agree, a light on a gun can lead to flagging others with your muzzle.

MainelyGlock

Thanks for the input ya'll. So, for those of you who would clear your house with a separate light, what method of carrying it do you use?

Edit: That was phrased horribly. By method, I mean do you hold the light above and away from you, with your gun in the other hand? Or do you cross it under the arm holding the gun? Sorry, I'm forgetting all the names for these methods.

Last edited:

Mantioch

Thanks for the input ya'll. So, for those of you who would clear your house with a separate light, what method of carrying it do you use?

Edit: That was phrased horribly. By method, I mean do you hold the light above and away from you, with your gun in the other hand? Or do you cross it under the arm holding the gun? Sorry, I'm forgetting all the names for these methods.

In the few occasions where I thought someone was in the house and had somehow gotten past the alarm, I go downstairs in the dark. I have certain lights that stay on at night that will illuminate spaces I can see from the dark staircase without giving up my position. On occasions when I've had to go outside, I have a standard grip on the weapon with this mini mag stuck between my figures. That probably sucks and would result in me dropping the lightif I had to actually fire on someone. I need a larger flashlight to cross under my weapon.

Fallschirjmäger

I just toss a flashbang. If anyone dives for cover then there's someone in the house. If no one dives for cover then I pick it back up and make sure the pin is still inserted.

My place is so small that I can quite literally clear the whole house with the exception of the garage from where I sleep.

Last edited:

Mantioch

I don't clear the house. The dog does.

Oh, yes! I miss the Great Dane my wife and I had when we first got married. Never had to worry about her when I was working late. I had to worry about me when I came home. Her concept of a challenge and reply was a bit different than mine - nearly got eaten several times.