• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

tombstone

glock23

It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person other than a peace officer in the course of his official duties, to carry any deadly weapon concealed or otherwise within the limits of the city.

This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or to take from the place of deposit, such deadly weapons, provided that such weapon be carried openly, in sight and in hand.

Performances under conditions of a permit issued by the city shall be exempt from this prohibition.

All firearms of every description, Bowie knives, hunting knives, dirks, and all knives with over three inch (3") blade measured from hilt to tip of blade, are included within the prohibition of this chapter. (Ord. 77-78-02, 10-10-1977)

doesnt the state pre-empt this?

March Hare

It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person other than a peace officer in the course of his official duties, to carry any deadly weapon concealed or otherwise within the limits of the city.

This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or to take from the place of deposit, such deadly weapons, provided that such weapon be carried openly, in sight and in hand.

Performances under conditions of a permit issued by the city shall be exempt from this prohibition.

All firearms of every description, Bowie knives, hunting knives, dirks, and all knives with over three inch (3") blade measured from hilt to tip of blade, are included within the prohibition of this chapter. (Ord. 77-78-02, 10-10-1977)

Cite please?

I believe it does prempt local law.
INAL, here is the ARS: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03108.htm

-MH

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

@OP -please also note this ordinance was passed by Tombstone way back in 1977. It is common practice for municipalities to leave old / outdated / preempted ordinances on the books. The reasons are many from lazy, to costs of updating, to the most sinister: willful attempt to dupe law-abiding citizens into following unenforcable ordinances. Something tells me this is more in the middle on this one. Never been to Tombstone but if you need help - I'll back your play against the red sashes. ;)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGpajGj07BU

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Apples & oranges. No carry signs if properly posted do carry the full weight of the law in AZ. City ordinances are preempted to the best of my knowledge.

Paver1055

I was there 2 months ago and carried openly and had a 20 minute talk with a marshal about different things and he talked to my youngest boy for a while. Nothing said then but guess times change. Maybe due to gunfight reinactments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharkey

doesnt the state pre-empt this?

In Hand????!!!!! Holy **** that's stupid.

hammer6

I was there 2 months ago and carried openly and had a 20 minute talk with a marshal about different things and he talked to my youngest boy for a while. Nothing said then but guess times change. Maybe due to gunfight reinactments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's exactly what it is

FreeInAZ

that's exactly what it is

Well - guess I can see them not wanting the actors to get shot? But I see it as a stretch to think a person who visits TOMBSTONE AZ would not know what a historical re-enactment was & fire on the folks dressed in 1800's garb? Not too many everyday citizens in AZ wear chapps, spurs, etc... outside of a ranch area or rodeo, etc... but then again, no fixing stupid... :rolleyes:

Sonora Rebel

This should not even need commenting on... but...

I visit Tombstone a lot... 4-5 times a year on average. The gunbuster signs and 'no weapons' are posted in the bars... nowhere else. During the 'event' weekends (which apparently have escaped you guys) there are hundreds of loaded 'period' guns on the streets at one time. Anyone going into a bar need park their guns, knives at the 'Smoke Shop' on Allen St... or in their vehicle.

Whenever I may find myself in Tombsone other than an 'event' weekend... my 1911 goes on the hook in Smoke Shop when I choose to imbibe. Since they close at 6... it's a good idea to park close to Allen St and secure it in your vehicle. I have never carried concealed in Tombstone.

Last edited: