• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rapper arrested for drinking Arizona Iced Tea in ABC parking lot by ALE

WalkingWolf

georg jetson

Looks to me like he's getting arrested for not leaving private property when told... It also looks like he's resisting the arrest.

A good lesson in what not to do when contacted by the police.

eye95

My bad hearing combined with muffled audio has left me :eek: again.

Who asked him to leave? The cop? Or the owner? Or the owner's agent?

It ain't trespassing if the cop asks you to leave.

I disappointed the hell outta five MPD officers when I taught them that one.

WalkingWolf

My bad hearing combined with muffled audio has left me :eek: again.

Who asked him to leave? The cop? Or the owner? Or the owner's agent?

It ain't trespassing if the cop asks you to leave.

I disappointed the hell outta five MPD officers when I taught them that one.

By what was on the video it appears that the cop told him to leave on his own. If the employees had asked the cop to tell him to leave I would think he would have relayed it. Plus there would have been no reason to hassle him for the tea. I may try to see if he has email somewhere since he makes videos and ask him this weekend.

WalkingWolf

Looks to me like he's getting arrested for not leaving private property when told... It also looks like he's resisting the arrest.

A good lesson in what not to do when contacted by the police.

Actually it is not private property, the ABC stores are operated by either the municipality or the county government. The parking lots are communal, and belong to the owner/landlord and used for all the businesses that are located on the strip malls. The employees of the stores have no authority in the parking lots, nor does the police to trespass.

georg jetson

Actually it is not private property, the ABC stores are operated by either the municipality or the county government. The parking lots are communal, and belong to the owner/landlord and used for all the businesses that are located on the strip malls. The employees of the stores have no authority in the parking lots, nor does the police to trespass.

Well, that certainly paints a different picture.

WalkingWolf

I believe if he had been inside it would have been different, the ABC stores I have been in have a no food and drink sign clearly posted on the doors. But he was not even close to the entrance of the store.

Slidell Jim

Me smells a troll

This whole think doesn't look right. beginning to end. my spidey senses are on high alert. I suppose this was for "street cred" or for this guys next video. They even say thats what they were "up to tonight" is shooting this rappers next video.... I think THIS was it.

First off I have to say I'm a "cop video connoisseur". I have watched every episode of cops, ever, both seasons of Alaska highway patrol, Ive taken Citizen Police academy's, and done ride alongs. I have watched every open carry and police incident video on the internet. I watch "cop videos" on youtube as a bad habit. I watch as much as 20 hours a week. This video is not real, its staged. I could pick apart sooooo many things on it, but I will hit a few bigger points.

1. The plain clothes white man is not an officer, PERIOD he doesn't walk like a cop, doesn't have the authoritarian voice of a cop, he never "properly identifies" himself and states the agency he works for, he only VERY briefly shows his badge under his shirt and his take-down of the guy is a poor hollywood stunt... go back and watch it a few times, the guy does some weak, untrained hip toss, and the perp "falls down" ? not even spilling his drink? had that been real, his chin would have been the first thing to hit the ground and his ice tea can would have been by the front door of the building. he doesn't walk like a cop, take-down like a cop, talk like a cop or smell like a cop. it just doesn't add up. they could have hired a better actor for the video shoot.

2. they mention the ice tea too many times... rapper thugs like this arent interested in pushing canned ice tea. There is too much emphasis on the ice tea, even from the first 3 seconds of the video. The guy steps out of the car talking about his ice tea and "getting busted". come on! i call "STAGED!"

3. The b&w that does show up doesn't add up either. first he parks out on the street? then "runs" some 30 yards up to the scene? this was done for dramatics for the video shoot. A real response would have been 2-3 cruisers up in the parking lot right up within 10-15 ft of the guy on the ground. Next he runs up and leans over the guy on the ground and starts talking to him. in the real world, had the first guy been a real cop, weather those two cops knew each other or not, those two officers would have stepped over a few feet and had a brief talk... something like "whats up, who are you? show me your badge. how did this go down?" ect. but no "investigation", they next pick the rapper up and head for the car with out any discussion about "do we have a case here." These things seldom go as quickly as was portrayed for this video shoot.

4. Next question is why is the guy laying in the center of the parking lot,, STILL ? If the guy were a real cop he would have had the perp over on the curb at the front of the building, probably before he called in the action to dispatch. The guy is still laying there when back up arrives. (too bad they edited the vid so bad that you cant tell that its only 1 minutes response time, cause the b&w was parked 1/8 mile up the street waiting on the cellphone call.)

WalkingWolf

You watched cops, OMG! Now that is funny right there, I don't care who you are.:eek:

Oooops forgot "Git R done"

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

About 15 years ago I was heavily involved in the Los Angeles street racing scene.

It was common for people to hang out in large parking lots and it was common for the police to come through and tel everyone to leave or they would be arrested for tresspassing.

One night we were at a Home Depot / Fatburger parking lot and the police came through and told everyone to leave.

A guy I knew said we werent requeired by law to leave unless the property owner said so. Cops and my friend argued and the cops wouldnt say if the property owner had given a tresspass order.

My friend gets arrested.

Charges were dropped a week later.

Fallschirjmäger

1. The plain clothes white man is not an officer, PERIOD he doesn't walk like a cop, doesn't have the authoritarian voice of a cop, he never "properly identifies" himself and states the agency he works for, he only VERY briefly shows his badge under his shirt and his take-down of the guy is a poor hollywood stunt... go back and watch it a few times, the guy does some weak, untrained hip toss, and the perp "falls down" ? not even spilling his drink? had that been real, his chin would have been the first thing to hit the ground and his ice tea can would have been by the front door of the building. he doesn't walk like a cop, take-down like a cop, talk like a cop or smell like a cop. it just doesn't add up. they could have hired a better actor for the video shoot.
Well, he wasn't a "Real cop," he was a Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement officer that the Cumberland County ABC Board Law Enforcement identified as Officer Rick Libero.
ABC Law Enforcement identified the tea drinking man as Christopher Lamont Beatty Junior.

"The news release from ABC Law Enforcement made no mention of Beatty having an alcoholic beverage." Oopsie, gonna be hard to articulate the 'perp' was inebriated in public, without a beverage to back up the "slurred speech, uncoordinated movements, dilated pupils" stuff.

Last edited:

MKEgal

ABC Law Enforcement said Beatty was arrested and charged with trespassing and resisting, delaying and obstructing
Let's see...
Trespassing? Wasn't he on public property in front of the state liquor store?

Resisting? Seems that he answered the RAC's question about his drink, but wasn't going to allow an illegal search; also says he started to comply with the illegal order to put his hands on a car in order to be illegally handcuffed, before he was illegally forced to the ground.

Delaying? What is that? Because he didn't jump fast enough when given illegal orders?

Obstructing? Another catch-all which is meaningless in this situation. Again, he answered the question about his drink and seemed to be starting to comply with the illegal restraint order. And can someone really be charged with obstruction of an officer when it's a rent-a-cop he's not obstructing?

Disect

This whole think doesn't look right. beginning to end. my spidey senses are on high alert. I suppose this was for "street cred" or for this guys next video. They even say thats what they were "up to tonight" is shooting this rappers next video.... I think THIS was it.

First off I have to say I'm a "cop video connoisseur". I have watched every episode of cops, ever, both seasons of Alaska highway patrol, Ive taken Citizen Police academy's, and done ride alongs. I have watched every open carry and police incident video on the internet. I watch "cop videos" on youtube as a bad habit. I watch as much as 20 hours a week. This video is not real, its staged. I could pick apart sooooo many things on it, but I will hit a few bigger points.

2. they mention the ice tea too many times... rapper thugs like this arent interested in pushing canned ice tea. There is too much emphasis on the ice tea, even from the first 3 seconds of the video. The guy steps out of the car talking about his ice tea and "getting busted". come on! i call "STAGED!"

3. The b&w that does show up doesn't add up either. first he parks out on the street? then "runs" some 30 yards up to the scene? this was done for dramatics for the video shoot. A real response would have been 2-3 cruisers up in the parking lot right up within 10-15 ft of the guy on the ground. Next he runs up and leans over the guy on the ground and starts talking to him. in the real world, had the first guy been a real cop, weather those two cops knew each other or not, those two officers would have stepped over a few feet and had a brief talk... something like "whats up, who are you? show me your badge. how did this go down?" ect. but no "investigation", they next pick the rapper up and head for the car with out any discussion about "do we have a case here." These things seldom go as quickly as was portrayed for this video shoot.

4. Next question is why is the guy laying in the center of the parking lot,, STILL ? If the guy were a real cop he would have had the perp over on the curb at the front of the building, probably before he called in the action to dispatch. The guy is still laying there when back up arrives. (too bad they edited the vid so bad that you cant tell that its only 1 minutes response time, cause the b&w was parked 1/8 mile up the street waiting on the cellphone call.)

He was saying the name of the drink because Arizona teas and drinks are one of most bought drinks in the ghetto. (Most sugar you can get in a can for 79 cents.) He is sort of dumbfounded that the cop is questioning it. Its like if he had a plastic neon gun that said "super soaker" on the side and the cop was asking to see his "gun". It's called the Fourth Amendment. We Americans have rights.

You are assuming competency of the cop. Basically you are falling into the "no true scotsman" fallacy.

If this is a troll then they are very high level. They got the North Carolina legal system involved.

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calendars.Offense.do?submit=submit&case=2502013055113&court=CR

You may have watched a lot of Cops, but you have to remember that usually the cops selected to be on Cops were selected my their leadership as examples that they want videotaped. Also the Cops know they are being taped beforehand and are on their best behavior on camera. Would you do you job better if you knew it was going to be broadcast on national TV? This cop just didn't care that he was being videotaped. It was filmed on a cellphone so it probably wasn't the same as a big television camcorder with the light and a sound guy with a boom mike.

Also when you when comparing to an open carry video. Is a cop going to be more cautious and respectful around someone holding an M4 or someone holding a soda?

It sounds like if he was an ABC officer than he was a cop. Basically local ATF (well not F) in North Carolina.

http://abc.nc.gov/legal/law_enforcement.aspx

Enforcement of ABC Laws and Commission Rules

Various agencies are responsible for the enforcement of ABC Laws and Commission Rules in North Carolina. Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE), a division of the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety, is the State enforcement agency. Local ABC Boards may hire ABC Officers or may contract with a local law enforcement agency for ABC law enforcement. Sheriff and police departments may also designate an officer on their staff to be the ABC law enforcement officer. The ABC Audit Division is responsible for ensuring permittees are complying with reporting requirements.

The primary mission of ALE is the enforcement of the State Alcoholic Beverage Control laws and the Controlled Substances Act. Special attention is directed towards the possession and use of alcohol by underage persons and the prevention of violent crime due to alcohol and drug abuse. In addition, they enforce the tobacco laws prohibiting the sale and distribution of tobacco products to persons under the age of 18.

Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE) consists of nine districts with the headquarters office located in Raleigh. ALE Agents are available to answer questions and provide information. ALE agents have rights to inspect establishments holding ABC permits: (1) they may inspect all parts of licensed premises, (2) they may take any enforcement action for illegal activities on the licensed premises, including but not limited to issuing criminal citations and administrative violations, and (3) they may examine your books and records.

The responsibility for complying with ABC’s laws and rules lies strictly with the permittee.

Last edited: