• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What gear do you use?

Markal1990

Hey guys, I know theres a forum for discussing carry guns bit I wanted to see what some the ky guys carry. Talk about what gun you carry, what holster you use, what kind of ammo you carry and anything else you carry on you everyday.

I carry a Springfield XD in 9mm 16+1 rds with a Blackhawk level 2 retention serpa holster. I carry 135 gr +p HP hornady critical duty ammunition. Also carry a spyderco tenacious pocketknife on me.
I'm Going to buy a new mag pouch soon so I can carry a spare mag and possibly in the future a weapon mounted flashlight.

Just curious to see what some of you guys in here carry. Thanks.

Mantioch

I carry a Glock 19 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense rounds in an iTac retention holster. My wife carries either her snub nosed S&W J frame .38 or her Police Issue S&W .38 K frame. Her grandmother was a Deputy Sherrif in Eastern Kentucky way back when.

kyboy4u

gear

I have a few different set ups, however my main oc setup consists of:
Springfield xd subcompact(.40)
12+1 in weapon w/ xd gear mag pouch and 2 additional 12rd mags, all of which are hornady critical defense
Blackhawk serpa level 2 holster
Spiderco pocket knife
And a cheap mini mag pocket light.

KySIGGuy

I carry either a SIG Sauer P228R or a Browning Hi-Power. I use 124gr Federal Tactical HST 9mm+P rounds. My SIG is carried in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, and the Hi-Power is carried in a plain brown leather holster with a thumb break.

open4years

My carry gun was a Walther PPS in.40. But, my new Springfield XDs in .45 has taken the primary role, while the PPS or my Ruger LCP, .380 will be my back up. I like the LCP as it has a laser. I haven't found one for the PPS or the XDs.

However, I get a warm, comforting feeling from carrying my FNH Five Seven as I like having 21 rounds with a very light pistol. I used to carry two 30 round magazines on my right leg and a BU on my left leg. Talk about being ready for anything! Plus pepper spray and a Taser!

After all, I have a self-defense corporation and I try out some neat stuff! Plus, I must make an example out of my self!
Those are my current excuses. I'm working on more!

DrakeZ07

I'm loyal to Hi-Point and Taurus, using a Taurus PT100 40SW, and a Hi-point .40SW. The Taurus for 'special/ceremonial' occasions because it is engraved.
A drop-leg holster for hiking and camping, and civilian recon. A hip holster for daily activities, both are 'El Cheapos' that I got from a gun shop for ten bucks each lol.

Last edited:

hotrod

Wheel Gun

All them autermatics and not any wheel guns. I carry a S&W Model 66 loaded Hornady 125 grain .357 magnum toted in a Mernickle PS-8 Paddle Holster. I back that up with a S&W Model 360 PD J Frame, using the same ammo, carried in a Galco ankle holster. :cool:

Last edited:

neuroblades

Markal 1990 - If you're local to the Ashalnd area, you might like to join us at the upcoming Eastern kentucky Open Carry meetup at Golden Corral on May 18th. Look up for the thread on the Kentucky forum here for more detailed info. We used to meet about once a month but then it went into hiatus for awhile and now we're going to try to bring in back.

Last edited:

Cottonbaler

Ruger SR9 in an Uncle Mike's Reflex holster with the paddle attachment. Holster is on my right side. The spare mag is carried in a Blackhawk single mag case on my left side. Each mag holds 17 rounds of Federal American Eagle 115 gr. FMJ 9mm (I know. FMJ. Only 9mm I could find at a decent price during the current shortage).

My gun belt is a $12 work belt from Wal-Mart. It's 1.5" wide with a nylon reinforcing panel double stitched onto the backside.

Mantioch

Bought a Blackhawk Serpa Level II yesterday to replace my iTac,which stuck out way too far.

Last edited:

RebeccaC

My usual carry gun is a Ruger LCP .380 with Remington 102 grain Golden Saber BJHP; I normally use a flashbang holster, but when I am wearing jeans I often carry it in my back pocket with a wallet holster.

I sometimes open carry, have a Glock 36, use Federal Premium 230 grain JHP; carry using a Fobus Paddle holster.

I also have a Ruger P95 9mm, have a Fobus Paddle holster for it as well. I dont carry it that often, it is my glovebox gun.

My shotgun is a Remington 870 "Tactical" pump shotgun. (A Christmas present from my husband).....Nothing says "I love you" like the gift of a deadly weapon, no? ;-) I have a side saddle on it and it is loaded with Federal Classic #00 buckshot. I have 2 slugs in the side saddle along with extra buckshot.

For target practice I'll use just about any FMJ, but buy a lot of TulAmmo because it is the cheapest, it jams constantly and have lots of FTF with it, but it's affordable. :p

Last edited:

09jisaac

My usual carry gun is a Ruger LCP .380 with Remington 102 grain Golden Saber BJHP; I normally use a flashbang holster, but when I am wearing jeans I often carry it in my back pocket with a wallet holster.

I hope that this isn't too forward of me, but can I ask you about your bra?

Is it comfortable? How well does it conceal? And does the size of your, ah, chest matter how well it conceals?

I have been thinking getting my GF one. She has some small boobies so I am a bit leery. She is looking at a Sig 938, so that may help.

RebeccaC

I hope that this isn't too forward of me, but can I ask you about your bra?

Is it comfortable? How well does it conceal? And does the size of your, ah, chest matter how well it conceals?

I have been thinking getting my GF one. She has some small boobies so I am a bit leery. She is looking at a Sig 938, so that may help.

I have a "mid-sized rack" lol.....the flashbang holster is usually pretty comfortable, basically the slide/muzzle is tucked under the bottom band of the bra, and most breasts will project beyond the outline of the gun. An extremely flat chested woman would not benefit from a flashbang holster, but I mean REALLY flat, like say Paris Hilton. Silky/clinging fabrics are obviously a no-no when using a flashbang. I'd say go ahead and get her one; is she doesnt like it she can return it. I love mine. :)