• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Hiking groups?

DrakeZ07

*OC, and KY Specific*

Are there no hiking, and trailing groups in our lovely state that are Gun/OC friendly?

The warmth of the seasons now and to come, and with the gym and exercising I've been doing over the winter, has put me in a mood to get more adventurous than ever before, in regards to our beautiful landscape. So, it sparked me to search both in person and online, for a group, or club, consisting of hikers and trail walkers and climbers, to hang out with and do stuff with in the outdoors.

However, there is one startling factor that all the Hiking, Rock climbing, trail walking, trail biking clubs, groups, and organizations based in and for this state, all share in common. They all either implicitly ban Open Carry of firearms, OR, Outright ban weapons of any sort in general, with a good portion of these hiking groups, like the Lexington, Louisville, and BG groups going so far as to ban knives, mace/spray, and axes from group activities while in areas like the DBNF, and Cumberland areas, where OC and firearms, and such is legal and all good.

Whats more, they all prohibit group members form having firearms and weapons, on the premise of "Group safety" and "Group Comfort".

An example, I registered on one website for Lexington Hikers, and they frequently prefer primitive trails, and over-nighting on trails in deep eastern KY, and down along teh red river. For group safety, firearms, and sharp objects are banned, fire-making-instruments are banned too. How is that in anyway, shape, or form "safe"? Maybe I'm just needlessly fearful, but the last time I went hiking and camping in primitive areas of the Gorge without a firearm, with no cell service, miles away from the trail head, I ended up using a shovel to dig a foxhole, and cover myself with dirt, leaves, branches and was so scared I built a massive bonfire, lol.

I'm sorry to make a rant but, are there truly no OC/Gun friendly outdoorsy/Hiking or climbing groups in this state? Even the ones I found in person by talking to climbers in Winchester, was sternly anti-gun.

And really, just how 'safe' is it to do outdoorsy activities in very primitive parts of our state, with no instrument for self-defense, and solely relying on "lay down, cover your head, and play dead"?

I suppose we as OC'ers and exercisers of our rights, are doomed to enjoy our surroundings alone, with nothing but our sidearm, and the birds to keep us company out on the trails.

Biscuit37

I spend as much time as possible out on the trails of our beautiful state. I always open carry.
Though, I ride my horse rather than hike and don't belong to any club...

Sorry for being completely unhelpful. But, hey, not everyone is afraid of guns in the wilderness. :)
~Tyler

ps1mhd

Start your own group.
Some of us would join.
Its fun getting together with like minded people and
we would start out with at less two things in common
hiking and firearms.

Mike

DrakeZ07

I spend as much time as possible out on the trails of our beautiful state. I always open carry.
Though, I ride my horse rather than hike and don't belong to any club...

Sorry for being completely unhelpful. But, hey, not everyone is afraid of guns in the wilderness. :)
~Tyler

You're plenty helpful, some feedback is better than none, and re-assures me that there are Gun friendly Hikers out there in this fine state.

Start your own group.
Some of us would join.
Its fun getting together with like minded people and
we would start out with at less two things in common
hiking and firearms.

Mike

I honestly wouldn't know where to begin in regards to starting a outdoorsy/hiking/thing type group; I've always been the type to throw money at people to take the initiative and leadership roles while I play a supportive part and enjoy the basic things. But if y'all ever wanna do a day-hike or overnight-on-the-trail type thing, then I'd be a willing participant for any distance within our state lines. Although west of the Kentucky river finds me unsure of any trails, or activities that are any good.

Last edited:

Biscuit37

Mammoth cave national park has some awesome trails/scenery.

Be careful with the laws though. It's easy to take for granted the rights we enjoy in KY. For instance, I would recommend Taylorsville state park but it is actually all army corps land and illegal to carry on. I believe land between the lakes is army corps too, though I'm not positive.

~Tyler

langzaiguy

I tried to join a central ky hiking Meet Up group. I saw where they prohibited weapons on their hikes. I emailed the leader about it and he said it was prohibited due to safety. I told him that that was precisely why I wanted to carry in the first place. Ah well, not like it would stop me from showing up and walking behind the group.

Anyways, I'd be up for a hike in RRG. I try to make it out there once a month.

DrakeZ07

Open Carry Hikers and adventures!

I took the initiative and created a facebook group page for the time being, just to see how things work and maybe help in organizing OC outdoorsy adventuring, hiking, camping, fishing, etc among our statesmen!

Here is the link to it; https://www.facebook.com/groups/OpenCarryHikers/ It's been made open to the public so you all can have a chance to join and check out the description, I don't have any photos or anything like that, and I'm very open on plans and events, and feel free to add myself to your facebook if you wish it but we can all use the group to plan things out, without having to clutter up the OCDO-KY area, unless its as an OC announcing event thingy!

Still no idea what I'm doing, but hopefully and gleefully, Would love to see a few of you out on the trails!