• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just a heads up if you're traveling to WA

EMNofSeattle

As a result of recent changes to Florida CCW permit law, the State of Washington by its law cannot legally accept your Florida permit for reciprocity anymore... please do not attempt to conceal carry under your Florida CHL, you do so at own risk

unfortunately... :mad:

conandan

What changes are you talking about. I carry in Wa. A lot and I am concerned about this. I hope this isn't permanent I don't want to unload every time I get in my truck.

conandan

Just looked it up as of April 25 Washington will no longer accept a Florida ccw. Its doesn't say why or what has changed. That sucks.

Rich7553

What changes are you talking about. I carry in Wa. A lot and I am concerned about this. I hope this isn't permanent I don't want to unload every time I get in my truck.

You'd better check Washington's laws on carry in a vehicle. Your Florida CWFL is no longer honored in that state as they have cancelled reciprocity with Florida. This was as a result of last year's change to Florida law which removed the age restriction for active duty or veteran military members to get a CWFL.

Details here:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/newsroom/press/2013/05012013.html

conandan

You'd better check Washington's laws on carry in a vehicle. Your Florida CWFL is no longer honored in that state as they have cancelled reciprocity with Florida. This was as a result of last year's change to Florida law which removed the age restriction for active duty or veteran military members to get a CWFL.

Details here:

Thank you for the information. I do spend a lot of time in Wa. The only thing I have to change is loaded carry in a vehicle. I can still oc there.

conandan

I wonder how many other states will drop Florida over this. However I do agree with the change for military members. I always found it odd that you can serve to defend our country but can't defend yourself when home.

EMNofSeattle

I wonder how many other states will drop Florida over this. However I do agree with the change for military members. I always found it odd that you can serve to defend our country but can't defend yourself when home.

I agree, I think 18 should be the CPL age... military or not.

I think Washington's law is wierd like that for reciprocity.

if they don't want under 18s to carry why don't they just say in law "you must be 21 or older for your out of state permit to be recognized" because lets face it, if concealed carry is done right, there won't be any probable cause to just stop someone and check their permit and do their age.

the only time an officer will see the permit is if the holder either A) brandishes the firearm or B) shoots someone... at which point determining age is not going to depend on how old you are when you got the permit.....

to that degree carrying a concealed firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor in this state anyway, so in both above cases that's the least of your worries if you get in a jam bad enough to need your permit/pistol anyway...

77zach

if they don't want under 18s to carry why don't they just say in law "you must be 21 or older for your out of state permit to be recognized"

That's what Florida does

(3) "Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida."

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

I'd be interested in seeing the relevant section of WA law. I'm wondering if it's being interpreted strictly because the WA AG is an anti gun bigot?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

That's what Florida does

(3) "Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida."

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

I'd be interested in seeing the relevant section of WA law. I'm wondering if it's being interpreted strictly because the WA AG is an anti gun bigot?

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

The AGO's only involvement by this statute is to write the list of states that conform to Washington's reciprocity requirements, obviously he is not given unilateral authority here.

now I'm sure he's not a pro-gun guy, but to blame him is placing false blame....

the legislature is at fault here.

ADulay

Hmm, what's wrong with this picture?

It's now "illegal" to conceal carry in Washington State for me (Florida resident) but Open Carry is perfectly fine!

Does anyone EVER think about what they're actually "legislating" anywhere in the country?

AD (open carry advocate and practitioner, so I'll be OK this summer)

KBCraig

Details here:

So, for the teeny tiny fraction of Florida CWFLs who are under 21, and of those the teeny tiny fraction who might possibly carry in Washington, WA just outright bans all Florida CWFLs?

Only to a bureaucrat can that make any sense at all.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

So, for the teeny tiny fraction of Florida CWFLs who are under 21, and of those the teeny tiny fraction who might possibly carry in Washington, WA just outright bans all Florida CWFLs?

Only to a bureaucrat can that make any sense at all.

This whole thing just pi$$es me off!

Washington could have just ignored the minute few under 21 yr old vets with Florida CPLs...
Washington could have just said, We wont honor CPLs from those under 21...
Washington could have copied Florida to issue to vets under 21...

Washington and all other states could honor all vets by extending the right to carry to them,, just like Florida...
Florida and all oher states could extend the right to carry to ALL honerable military service members, even before discharge!

And the biggest pi$$er of all,,, is that because of Washington state removing the acceptence of the Florida CPL...
Florida got butthurt,,, and decided to stop accepting the Washington CPL!

conandan

This whole thing just pi$$es me off!

Washington could have just ignored the minute few under 21 yr old vets with Florida CPLs...
Washington could have just said, We wont honor CPLs from those under 21...
Washington could have copied Florida to issue to vets under 21...

Washington and all other states could honor all vets by extending the right to carry to them,, just like Florida...
Florida and all oher states could extend the right to carry to ALL honerable military service members, even before discharge!

And the biggest pi$$er of all,,, is that because of Washington state removing the acceptence of the Florida CPL...

If you do come to Florida they will issue you a non resident ccl. It costs more than Washington but you can get one. And Florida takes longer than Washington to issue.

ADulay

Ah yes. Rational thinking or should I say, intelligent direction are usually not the province of most legislators.

One needs to know absolutely nothing about a subject to make a law on it once you've been "annointed" to a position.

What a bevy of clowns we have running the place these days.

AD

randian

That's not what happened. It's automatic by operation of law, no "butthurt" involved. If Washington recognizes Florida's permit again, Florida will again honor Washington's permit.

rvrctyrngr

That's not what happened. It's automatic by operation of law, no "butthurt" involved. If Washington recognizes Florida's permit again, Florida will again honor Washington's permit.

Exactly. By law, FL cannot recognize permits/licenses from those states that do not recognize ours.

However, any resident from any state can apply for a Florida CWFL.