• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Excrement storm erupts in Illinois legislature regarding concealed carry

sudden valley gunner

As badly as they have for the last 100+ years.

My grandmother was there in 1919 when the Chicago PD took sides in the race riot and refused to intervene to protect any Black person. It was recently returned Black doughboys who raided the National Guard armories, armed themselves and protected their own neighborhoods until the governor called out the National Guard to restore order.

Damn, wish I would have known this example a few weeks ago. I gave a speech at the libertarian convention on RTKB, listed a few examples where civilian populations used arms to protect themselves, this would have been a good one too.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
As to the preemption part , you are right. Each home rule city could make their own regulations and some would be much worse than others. Also it would be almost impossible to know , let alone follow , each areas requirements.

We had this problem in Washington State. This side of the street you were legal, that side you were not. The "patchwork quilt" of conflicting laws was ridiculous. State preemption set a standard set of laws across the State. No one can make laws stronger than the State. I think you have an uphill battle on this one. Your elected officials are afraid of weapons.

WalkingWolf

The 7th has ruled a complete ban on carry unconstitutional, home rule means diddly. Not only does the ruling affect Illinois and counties and cities within, it affects all states within the 7th's jurisdiction. You guys are thinking along the lines of a city passing their own laws that may be stiffer than state that ARE CONSTITUTIONAL. If the courts have ruled a practice or law is not constitutional, it does not matter who enacts it, it is void.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The 7th has ruled a complete ban on carry unconstitutional, home rule means diddly. Not only does the ruling affect Illinois and counties and cities within, it affects all states within the 7th's jurisdiction. You guys are thinking along the lines of a city passing their own laws that may be stiffer than state that ARE CONSTITUTIONAL. If the courts have ruled a practice or law is not constitutional, it does not matter who enacts it, it is void.

I would have liked to be in Daley's living room after he heard about it ... he is such an ass....

Tucker6900

Actually it wouldn't be " constitutional carry " . It would be " FOID carry " because you would have to have the FOID card to carry.

As to the preemption part , you are right. Each home rule city could make their own regulations and some would be much worse than others. Also it would be almost impossible to know , let alone follow , each areas requirements.

Now, in my amateur studies, I have found this from the Illinois Constitution:

Article VII, Section 6, (i) 1*Home rule units may exercise and perform
concurrently with the State any power
or function of a home
rule unit 2*to the extent that the General Assembly by law does
not specifically limit the concurrent exercise or
specifically declare the State's exercise to be exclusive.

1*)Basically this says if the state allows it, the city, or "home rule unit", can as well.

2*)This part appears to limit what a city can do, without the states permission.

Discuss....

randian

Meanwhile, the utter lack of violent crime instances by FOID Card holders over the coming months and years will be a severe blow to the credibility of the anti-gunners in Illinois and elsewhere.
How do you figure? Anti-gunners lie all the time about guns. I haven't noticed this fact to have any effect whatsoever on their ability to get positive press for their anti-gun efforts.