• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Excrement storm erupts in Illinois legislature regarding concealed carry

minarchist

If Illinois gets constitutional carry, that will be the richest poetic justice of the century. I will be in a state of pure, unadulterated, non-stop euphoria for days.

People will be able to carry in the emperor's city.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Stupid democrat don't know that NY district appellate court decisions don't mean squat in the 7th district .. fact that SCOTUS did not take up the NY case uuuh, means nothing.

But that's pretty typical -- when a person has no argument they call the other person "scary" ... its been done on the forum as well and the moderators and administrators seem to let it go here ...

I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I can carry or not ... I carry when I want to ... did it in Illinois years ago and still do it today.

minarchist

Stupid democrat don't know that NY district appellate court decisions don't mean squat in the 7th district .. fact that SCOTUS did not take up the NY case uuuh, means nothing.

But that's pretty typical -- when a person has no argument they call the other person "scary" ... its been done on the forum as well and the moderators and administrators seem to let it go here ...

I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I can carry or not ... I carry when I want to ... did it in Illinois years ago and still do it today.

How badly do you expect the Chicago Stasi to behave if constitutional carry passes?

Deanimator

How badly do you expect the Chicago Stasi to behave if constitutional carry passes?
As badly as they have for the last 100+ years.

My grandmother was there in 1919 when the Chicago PD took sides in the race riot and refused to intervene to protect any Black person. It was recently returned Black doughboys who raided the National Guard armories, armed themselves and protected their own neighborhoods until the governor called out the National Guard to restore order.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm assuming Illinois doesn't have state preemption for firearms laws.

So if the state reverts to "Constitutional carry" it would still allow localities to have their bans, right?

jayspapa

So if the state reverts to "Constitutional carry" it would still allow localities to have their bans, right?

Actually it wouldn't be " constitutional carry " . It would be " FOID carry " because you would have to have the FOID card to carry.

As to the preemption part , you are right. Each home rule city could make their own regulations and some would be much worse than others. Also it would be almost impossible to know , let alone follow , each areas requirements.

lockman

State Researcher
So that means no one from out of state would be able to carry in IL?... :rolleyes:

No, any non-resident who can legally possess firearms in their home state would be allowed to carry. The Illinois Supreme Court has already addressed the issue. Since Illinois does not allow non-residents to apply for a FOID card, any penalties and restrictions for not having one do not apply to non-residents.

lckstckn2smknbrls

So, is a FOID required to own or to carry or both? Can an IL resident borrow a firearm from a non-IL resident and then carry it without a FOID?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
An Illinois resident must have a FOID just to touch a firearm or ammunition when in the state of Illinois

Last edited:

OC4me

I for one would like to see Illinois go the Constitutional Carry route (albeit FOID-based).

The lack of preemption will just mean years of follow-up judicial boxing with Chicago. Meanwhile, the utter lack of violent crime instances by FOID Card holders over the coming months and years will be a severe blow to the credibility of the anti-gunners in Illinois and elsewhere.

Constitutional Carry in the majority of the State of Illinois will only strengthen the Pro-Second Amendment movement throughout the State and the rest of this great nation.

Last edited:

MKEgal

eye95 said:
Blood will flow in the streets!
Yep. The blood of criminals who think they're still attacking unarmed sheep.
If they behaved like civilized humans, they wouldn't be perforated.
While I don't wish for anyone to be injured (well, OK, there are a couple people), I can't work up too much upset for a criminal receiving the natural consequences of his actions.

WalkingWolf

Those bans would be in violation of the 7th district ruling. Though it make take a few years to make it back to the circuit court. To me at least the ruling is clear, I don't think they gave exceptions to home rule in the ruling.

Remember we are not talking about a law here that could be circumvented by a home rule~~we are talking a federal court order.

Last edited:

eye95

Here is some info for Illinois NON-residents on transporting firearms. This does NOT allow any "carry".
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. In order to comply with the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act, when transporting a firearm, it must be:

• broken down in a non-functioning state; or
  • not immediately accessible; or
  • unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card.
For a list of other commonly asked questions on transporting firearms in Illinois, please refer to the Transport Your Firearm Legally brochure available on our website.

But these are rules that go down on June 9, right?