• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting article about range

attrapereves

I've noticed everything they said in the article about the range in Columbia. Not sure what the other ranges are like in Missouri, but this one can be terrible, especially on the weekends. There are some people there, who I frankly don't feel safe around. I've been muzzle swept by groups of college kids wearing no ear or eye protection. People will just walk down range before calling a cease fire. One time, there were two idiots BEHIND the berm trying to collect lead bullets. I was forced to call the conservation department, but they never did come out. Lastly, every time I go, there is always a ton of steel cased brass on the ground, but interestingly enough, all of the regular brass is picked up (I wonder why...).

The best time to go to the public range is during the week, preferably early in the morning. No idiots that early in the morning.

I've always been told "leave the campsite cleaner than how you found it." This applies to ranges as well. If people keep abusing the privilege, it may soon be taken away.

http://www.komu.com/news/outdoor-shooting-range-concerns-mo-conservation-department/

Oramac

There's an unsupervised range that my dad and I go to fairly often in the Warrenton area. We've never had any problems there at all. Even when it's crazy busy everyone calls cease fires right and, as far as I've noticed, has been really safe with handling of firearms. Once in a while we see odd or rare guns, like full-auto AR's or Desert Eagles, but nothing that even remotely makes me worry.

logunowner

That would not be a great environment for safe shooting. My wife and I have gone to the unsupervised Scrivner Road shooting range in Cole county several times and seen nothing close to what you have described. But, we have never been there on a weekend.

Redbaron007

We have one down here, Busiek, that amounts to that same. Most of the time, through the week, it isn't much of an issue; however, when the weekend or deer season approaches, you have to watch your step and those of the others. :eek:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Never had an ounce of trouble at an unsupervised range ... all these folks who think a safety officer adds any value is off their rocker or never has gone to an unsupervised range before or are NRA instructors who think safety training classes are a must ...anyone knows not to look down the barrel of a loaded gun, duh .. thanks for the tip safety-man!...I would have done that if you did not tell me not to..

Last edited:

attrapereves

There are idiots everywhere, but I think part of the problem with the Columbia range is the large amounts of idiot college students who go there. The rifle range is usually okay, but the pistol range is the problem. It really grinds my gears when the same idiots want to shoot their ARs and bolt-action rifles at 25 yards and get irritated when you want to shoot pistols closer up. I just don't see the point in that.

The biggest idiot I ever saw was a guy wearing a wife beater, basketball shorts, and sandals. He brought out a long barreled 357Mag revolver, fired a full cylinder without ear or eye protection, then left. Me and the guy beside me looked at each other like "WTF?"

I've also caught people shooting handguns at the shotgun range. :mad:

I'm almost thinking about driving to a range in one of the surrounding counties. I bet I won't have as many problems.