Thread: permit to carry - vs - concealed carry permit

permit to carry - vs - concealed carry permit

It seems few people know Minnesota does not require concealment of a pistol.
    I hear more people use the term ''conceal carry'' when describing the Minnesota permit to carry classes.
    Even some, dare I say most , of the advertising used for permit to carry classes in Minnesota use the words ''conceal carry'' .

It is miss leading I think.

Thanks for your time.....

B B

Strikes me odder still that Minnesota requires a permit to practice a right. Minnesota has no provision within it's state constitution enumerating the right to keep and bear arms. The U.S. Constitution does. Permit to conceal, maybe. Permit to carry, strikes me as infringing on that right.

BTW. While in Minnesota, I'm permitted by a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.
    Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 05-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

MN requires a permit to OC? or is it all inclusive and having a permit to carry covers both OC and CC, or is there a separate CC permit?

Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    MN requires a permit to OC? or is it all inclusive and having a permit to carry covers both OC and CC, or is there a separate CC permit?
    The Minnesota carry permit allows concealed or open carry. You need a permit to do either.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Feel free to carry as many as you like too, firearms (pistol/handgun(s) that is.

Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
    NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Shotshell + Metallic Reloading, RSO)
    Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors

Blame the media

I blame the state media for that one...the majority of the time they say concealed carry permit.... Thus people think its a conceal carry permit so when they see someone open carry they may be more likely to call the cops. just something to think about. Before I started following and participating in the good fight to protect our 2nd amendment I thought MN was conceal only due to media...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    Strikes me odder still that Minnesota requires a permit to practice a right. Minnesota has no provision within it's state constitution enumerating the right to keep and bear arms. The U.S. Constitution does. Permit to conceal, maybe. Permit to carry, strikes me as infringing on that right.

Where in the US Constitution that says concealed requires a permit?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    Utah now requires that non-residents have a permit from their state.

Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger07 View Post
    I blame the state media for that one...the majority of the time they say concealed carry permit.... Thus people think its a conceal carry permit so when they see someone open carry they may be more likely to call the cops. just something to think about. Before I started following and participating in the good fight to protect our 2nd amendment I thought MN was conceal only due to media...
    I blame the lazy gun shops and instructors the pander to common nomenclature instead of accurate representation of our law.
    Last edited by robdoar; 05-08-2013 at 10:05 PM.
    Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
    NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Shotshell + Metallic Reloading, RSO)
    Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors