Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sign - Rupp Arena/Civic Center a "School Zone" - No Firearms Allowed

New Sign - Rupp Arena/Civic Center a "School Zone" - No Firearms Allowed

While visiting the Civic Center in Lexington a few days ago I noticed a new sign on the door (see attached image). The sign reads

This facility is within a "School Zone"
    Individuals are prohibited from possessing
    firearms including concealed weapons

(quotes around School Zone are used on the sign)

When did this happen? How can they possibly be classified as a school zone, especially since they have gun shows and serve alcohol? During graduation ceremonies I can possibly see how, but any other time I think not. I'd like to see the specific KRS that makes them a school zone.

Googling around to try to find more information, I found that the Lexington Opera House uses the exact same language on their web site:
    This facility is within a “School Zone” individuals are prohibited from possessing firearms including concealed weapons.
    http://www.lexingtonoperahouse.com/o...eatre-policies

Can someone please shed some light on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sign.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	10343  
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-28-2015 at 01:51 AM. Reason: fixed title

Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    eh i have never noticed this sign is it brand new?!

Im curious as to maybe they simply added it for the upcoming graduations? And it may be removed after the graduation ?season is over?

My other theory could be due to the amount of kids that visit while on school field trips to all locations listed, Rupp / Civic/ and the opera house?

Either way as mentioned there is no violation for carrying in a "School zone" but simply on actual school grounds? ( please correct me if im wrong im not 100%)

as gs mentioned pure BS regardless?

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Ah yes, the old bluff and scare trick..... Lexington is good about this kind of thing. I would expect no less from them.
    Last edited by self preservation; 05-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I would expect no less from them.
    I would. You would think that with all the mess KC3 is cleaning up that Lexington would at least wait until things cool down.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I would. You would think that with all the mess KC3 is cleaning up that Lexington would at least wait until things cool down.
    Those arrogant SOB's??? No way. IMHO Lexington is a way different place (in a bad way) than the rest of KY.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Those arrogant SOB's??? No way. IMHO Lexington is a way different place (in a bad way) than the rest of KY.
    I completely agree. I lived in Lexington for about 14 years and I like Louisville so much better. Still a UK fan, though . Lots of lawyers, doctors and real estate thieves.

Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    sad but true, I live here have for about 15 years lucky for me thoe work tends to take me more east which believe me is a great thing when it comes to carrying and just overall kindness!

I love the fact every mention of this language has "school zone" in quotes.. As they already know they are doing something fishy..

Eh keep updated on any status of law suits we know about that arises from this

KC3's getting ready to get paid...again. Go get 'em gutshot!

So, this thread is aging, so I apologize, but I have to share. This weekend, the whole family was in Lexington for a Feis (pronounced "fesh" - an Irish celebration, and in modern times a dance competition) and we came upon the new signs. My 10 year old asked what it meant and my 4 year old daughter said "it means bad guys can carry guns and shoot people and good guys can't have guns and help the people"

My wife just looked at me and I said "What can I say, she's a prodigy."
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians." - George Mason

Did anything come of this? We plan on taking the 9 year old to the Monster Jam next weekend. The Rupp Arena website has the same school zone BS.

http://www.rupparena.com/guest-services/arena-policies

FIREARMS/WEAPONS

This facility is within a “School Zone” individuals are prohibited from possessing firearms including concealed weapons.

PROHIBITED ITEMS

The following items are not permitted inside Rupp Arena:

BACKPACKS​​​​
    WEAPONS OF ANY TYPE*
    BANNERS
    ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES
    OUTSIDE FOOD AND BEVERAGE
    PETS / ANIMALS**
    BEACH BALLS
    LASER POINTERS/PENS​​​
    BABY SEATS OR CARRIERS
    VIDEO OR AUDIO RECORDERS
    CAMERAS WITH DETACHABLE LENSES
    UNAUTHORIZED NOISEMAKERS
    BAGS/PURSES IN EXCESS OF 16" X 16"
    STADIUM SEATS
    FIREWORKS
    FRISBEES
    HELIUM BALLOONS
    ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
    FLASKS
    MACE
    SIGNS LARGER THAN 24” X 24”
    Rupp Arena management reserves the right to prohibit any item from entering the premises. All patrons and their belongings are subject to search prior to entry and once inside the building.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Gutshot,

Yes I know of the most recent threads i.e. the Drake incident. Was just wondering, after doing a search for "Rupp Arena" in the Kentucky section, if there were any updates to this particular BS written on the doors. Regardless, I'll be carrying as always.

Thanks for the information.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Monster Jam in Rupp was AWESOME!!! My 9 year old loved it and wants to go back next year.

The BS school zone wording is still on the doors and announcements over the intercoms repeated that no guns or knives are allowed blah blah blah.

Everyone was funneled through a security check point where purses were searched and anyone wearing a jacket, including my 9 year old son, had to remove the jacket while security searched. I was wearing a hoodie and CC my Beretta. Is this in violation of KRS? Would I have been trespassed if they discovered I was carrying?

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

Do you ever read anything here before you post or do you just jump in and start typing? This was all explained, in detail, after your last post. Go back and read it and all of your questions will be answered. There is nothing "new" here. It has been this way for over a year.
    Yes I do. Do you ever type without a condescending attitude? Perhaps you should re read what I posted. No where in your explanation does it answer my question if one can or can not be trespassed. Just "You should be OK".

No wonder the Kentucky forum is so dead

Perhaps I'm "Jumping in and typing" in an effort to get this sub forum more active and help some others that may lurk and not "Jump in and type".
    Last edited by Sir Diealotz; 01-27-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Thomas Paine

What do you want, a guarantee? OK, here it is. I, gutshot, absolutely guarantee that you will not be trespassed or harassed in any way by anyone at Rupp Arena. If you have a problem just tell them to call me. If you are arrested, I promise to get you out of jail, even if I have to work on it for six months.

Can I get that in writing?

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Diealotz View Post
    Yes I do. Do you ever type without a condescending attitude? Perhaps you should re read what I posted. No where in your explanation does it answer my question if one can or can not be trespassed. Just "You should be OK"...
    Just what is it you want the man to do?

He already answered your question (and said a lot more) the same day you posted it: "...Of course, even if Rupp does not prohibit firearms and you are exempt from the federal law, the organization that has leased the arena may prohibit firearms at their event. I don't know if they will or not..."

If you were unsure about it, wouldn't that have been the right time to ask your 'trespass' question - not AFTER you put yourself in a possibly tenuous situation??

I know that sometimes gutshot can be/is grumpy, but hey, I'd be grumpy too if I drove all over Creation/called all over KY, and it seemed at times that "I" (gutshot) was the only hardcore activist in-state - but in this situation I think you are at fault.

The answer was given - you just didn't pursue it. No wonder the man is irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Just what is it you want the man to do?

He already answered your question (and said a lot more) the same day you posted it: "...Of course, even if Rupp does not prohibit firearms and you are exempt from the federal law, the organization that has leased the arena may prohibit firearms at their event. I don't know if they will or not..."

If you were unsure about it, wouldn't that have been the right time to ask your 'trespass' question - not AFTER you put yourself in a possibly tenuous situation??

I know that sometimes gutshot can be/is grumpy, but hey, I'd be grumpy too if I drove all over Creation/called all over KY, and it seemed at times that "I" (gutshot) was the only hardcore activist in-state - but in this situation I think you are at fault.

The answer was given - you just didn't pursue it. No wonder the man is irritated.
    ^ Someone needs a hug... Drake?
    Last edited by Sir Diealotz; 01-28-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: My thumbs can't spell

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Diealotz View Post
    ^ Someone needs a hug... Drake?
    Don't feel bad Diea, Gutshot is old, and cranky, and onry, and unless you're blatantly out and open with working for our rights, then you're not doing much of anything at all, and even working behind the scenes to help the cause, is worthy of his contempt and disdain, but you're not the only one, my friend.

I would hug him, but I don't hug people who talk-down to me because they think, or feel, that I'm not doing enough or our rights, and cause. But I will hug you! Just don't mind if I get a lil touchy ;3
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Don't feel bad Diea, Gutshot is old, and cranky, and onry, and unless you're blatantly out and open with working for our rights, then you're not doing much of anything at all, and even working behind the scenes to help the cause, is worthy of his contempt and disdain, but you're not the only one, my friend.

I would hug him, but I don't hug people who talk-down to me because they think, or feel, that I'm not doing enough or our rights, and cause. But I will hug you! Just don't mind if I get a lil touchy ;3
    LOL

Primarily trying to get this sub forum a little more active.

When the weather gets better I'll invite all of you guys to meet up at the race track. My wife may not like you getting a lil touchy

Thomas Paine

...The cheapest tickets for this event are $37 and there are only about 30 tickets left at that price...
    If the tickets weren't so darn expensive, I'd see about joining you!

Would like to join you however I have to work Saturday and then plan on watching the UK Ball game with Dad when I get home (He will record the game). Granted, if UK wins against Florida or Alabama on Friday

Good luck

Thomas Paine

Gutshot,

I enjoyed reading about your outing to the opera house, glad to hear that it was uneventful (boring); Boring is a wonderful experience. Every public activity involving open carry should be boring. Excitement such as conflicts, fighting, defensive shooting, and cops being involved is just to much fun for me. Boring is good.

...I went to the Lexington Opera House today. The best way I can describe the experience is, uneventful in every respect...
    Good stuff, and good write-up.

You did get a reaction, though maybe not the one you expected. How many of the other entering patrons were asked to speak to, and were asked questions by, the manager?

This "school zone" ploy amongst quasi-public entities has become tiresome to me. Probably because up my way here in Cincinnati, the Zoo has declared itself as such. Personally I call shenanigans, their rationale is weaker than a thrice-used tea bag.

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable opera experience.

Uneventful but I guess that's a good thing. Good deal...

Thomas Paine

For what it's worth (not much in MY book) the Cincinnati Zoo operates some sort of outreach program to the city school district. My understanding is that occasionally they have a few high school students doing some sort of co-op work, or perhaps I should say coop work , mostly cleaning cages or putting food in them. I don't think this program is operated anything close to full time or year round.

I'm sure the school district could finds more productive real world things for their students to be doing, like learning how to read or perform three digit addition/subtraction problems, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Anyhow, it is a lame way to make the Zoo off-limits to carry, considering the surrounding neighborhood is anything but crime free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast