• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Sign - Rupp Arena/Civic Center a "School Zone" - No Firearms Allowed

JohnKelly

While visiting the Civic Center in Lexington a few days ago I noticed a new sign on the door (see attached image). The sign reads

This facility is within a "School Zone"
Individuals are prohibited from possessing
firearms including concealed weapons

(quotes around School Zone are used on the sign)

When did this happen? How can they possibly be classified as a school zone, especially since they have gun shows and serve alcohol? During graduation ceremonies I can possibly see how, but any other time I think not. I'd like to see the specific KRS that makes them a school zone.

Googling around to try to find more information, I found that the Lexington Opera House uses the exact same language on their web site:
This facility is within a “School Zone” individuals are prohibited from possessing firearms including concealed weapons.
http://www.lexingtonoperahouse.com/opera-house-information/theatre-policies

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 426
Last edited by a moderator:

LEX_XDM40compact

eh i have never noticed this sign is it brand new?!

Im curious as to maybe they simply added it for the upcoming graduations? And it may be removed after the graduation ?season is over?

My other theory could be due to the amount of kids that visit while on school field trips to all locations listed, Rupp / Civic/ and the opera house?

Either way as mentioned there is no violation for carrying in a "School zone" but simply on actual school grounds? ( please correct me if im wrong im not 100%)

as gs mentioned pure BS regardless?

self preservation

Ah yes, the old bluff and scare trick..... Lexington is good about this kind of thing. I would expect no less from them.

Last edited:

Mantioch

Those arrogant SOB's??? No way. IMHO Lexington is a way different place (in a bad way) than the rest of KY.

I completely agree. I lived in Lexington for about 14 years and I like Louisville so much better. Still a UK fan, though ;). Lots of lawyers, doctors and real estate thieves.

LEX_XDM40compact

Those arrogant SOB's??? No way. IMHO Lexington is a way different place (in a bad way) than the rest of KY.

sad but true, I live here have for about 15 years lucky for me thoe work tends to take me more east which believe me is a great thing when it comes to carrying and just overall kindness!

I love the fact every mention of this language has "school zone" in quotes.. As they already know they are doing something fishy..

Eh keep updated on any status of law suits we know about that arises from this

Mantioch

So, this thread is aging, so I apologize, but I have to share. This weekend, the whole family was in Lexington for a Feis (pronounced "fesh" - an Irish celebration, and in modern times a dance competition) and we came upon the new signs. My 10 year old asked what it meant and my 4 year old daughter said "it means bad guys can carry guns and shoot people and good guys can't have guns and help the people"

My wife just looked at me and I said "What can I say, she's a prodigy." :banana:

Sir Diealotz

Did anything come of this? We plan on taking the 9 year old to the Monster Jam next weekend. The Rupp Arena website has the same school zone BS.

http://www.rupparena.com/guest-services/arena-policies

FIREARMS/WEAPONS

This facility is within a “School Zone” individuals are prohibited from possessing firearms including concealed weapons.

PROHIBITED ITEMS

The following items are not permitted inside Rupp Arena:

BACKPACKS​​​​
WEAPONS OF ANY TYPE*
BANNERS
ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES
OUTSIDE FOOD AND BEVERAGE
PETS / ANIMALS**
BEACH BALLS
LASER POINTERS/PENS​​​
BABY SEATS OR CARRIERS
VIDEO OR AUDIO RECORDERS
CAMERAS WITH DETACHABLE LENSES
UNAUTHORIZED NOISEMAKERS
BAGS/PURSES IN EXCESS OF 16" X 16"
STADIUM SEATS
FIREWORKS
FRISBEES
HELIUM BALLOONS
ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
FLASKS
MACE
SIGNS LARGER THAN 24” X 24”
Rupp Arena management reserves the right to prohibit any item from entering the premises. All patrons and their belongings are subject to search prior to entry and once inside the building.

Sir Diealotz

Gutshot,

Yes I know of the most recent threads i.e. the Drake incident. Was just wondering, after doing a search for "Rupp Arena" in the Kentucky section, if there were any updates to this particular BS written on the doors. Regardless, I'll be carrying as always.

Thanks for the information.

Sir Diealotz

Monster Jam in Rupp was AWESOME!!! My 9 year old loved it and wants to go back next year.

The BS school zone wording is still on the doors and announcements over the intercoms repeated that no guns or knives are allowed blah blah blah.

Everyone was funneled through a security check point where purses were searched and anyone wearing a jacket, including my 9 year old son, had to remove the jacket while security searched. I was wearing a hoodie and CC my Beretta. Is this in violation of KRS? Would I have been trespassed if they discovered I was carrying?

Sir Diealotz

Do you ever read anything here before you post or do you just jump in and start typing? This was all explained, in detail, after your last post. Go back and read it and all of your questions will be answered. There is nothing "new" here. It has been this way for over a year.

Yes I do. Do you ever type without a condescending attitude? Perhaps you should re read what I posted. No where in your explanation does it answer my question if one can or can not be trespassed. Just "You should be OK".

No wonder the Kentucky forum is so dead :uhoh:

Perhaps I'm "Jumping in and typing" in an effort to get this sub forum more active and help some others that may lurk and not "Jump in and type".

Last edited:

Sir Diealotz

What do you want, a guarantee? OK, here it is. I, gutshot, absolutely guarantee that you will not be trespassed or harassed in any way by anyone at Rupp Arena. If you have a problem just tell them to call me. If you are arrested, I promise to get you out of jail, even if I have to work on it for six months.:lol:

Can I get that in writing? :lol:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Yes I do. Do you ever type without a condescending attitude? Perhaps you should re read what I posted. No where in your explanation does it answer my question if one can or can not be trespassed. Just "You should be OK"...
Just what is it you want the man to do?

He already answered your question (and said a lot more) the same day you posted it: "...Of course, even if Rupp does not prohibit firearms and you are exempt from the federal law, the organization that has leased the arena may prohibit firearms at their event. I don't know if they will or not..."

If you were unsure about it, wouldn't that have been the right time to ask your 'trespass' question - not AFTER you put yourself in a possibly tenuous situation??

I know that sometimes gutshot can be/is grumpy, but hey, I'd be grumpy too if I drove all over Creation/called all over KY, and it seemed at times that "I" (gutshot) was the only hardcore activist in-state - but in this situation I think you are at fault.

The answer was given - you just didn't pursue it. No wonder the man is irritated.

Sir Diealotz

Just what is it you want the man to do?

He already answered your question (and said a lot more) the same day you posted it: "...Of course, even if Rupp does not prohibit firearms and you are exempt from the federal law, the organization that has leased the arena may prohibit firearms at their event. I don't know if they will or not..."

If you were unsure about it, wouldn't that have been the right time to ask your 'trespass' question - not AFTER you put yourself in a possibly tenuous situation??

I know that sometimes gutshot can be/is grumpy, but hey, I'd be grumpy too if I drove all over Creation/called all over KY, and it seemed at times that "I" (gutshot) was the only hardcore activist in-state - but in this situation I think you are at fault.

The answer was given - you just didn't pursue it. No wonder the man is irritated.

^ Someone needs a hug... Drake? :banana:

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

^ Someone needs a hug... Drake? :banana:

Don't feel bad Diea, Gutshot is old, and cranky, and onry, and unless you're blatantly out and open with working for our rights, then you're not doing much of anything at all, and even working behind the scenes to help the cause, is worthy of his contempt and disdain, but you're not the only one, my friend.

I would hug him, but I don't hug people who talk-down to me because they think, or feel, that I'm not doing enough or our rights, and cause. But I will hug you! Just don't mind if I get a lil touchy ;3

Sir Diealotz

Don't feel bad Diea, Gutshot is old, and cranky, and onry, and unless you're blatantly out and open with working for our rights, then you're not doing much of anything at all, and even working behind the scenes to help the cause, is worthy of his contempt and disdain, but you're not the only one, my friend.

I would hug him, but I don't hug people who talk-down to me because they think, or feel, that I'm not doing enough or our rights, and cause. But I will hug you! Just don't mind if I get a lil touchy ;3

LOL

Primarily trying to get this sub forum a little more active.

When the weather gets better I'll invite all of you guys to meet up at the race track. My wife may not like you getting a lil touchy :lol:

Sir Diealotz

Would like to join you however I have to work Saturday and then plan on watching the UK Ball game with Dad when I get home (He will record the game). Granted, if UK wins against Florida or Alabama on Friday :lol:

Good luck