• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Sign - Rupp Arena/Civic Center a "School Zone" - No Firearms Allowed

OC Freedom

Gutshot,

I enjoyed reading about your outing to the opera house, glad to hear that it was uneventful (boring); Boring is a wonderful experience. Every public activity involving open carry should be boring. Excitement such as conflicts, fighting, defensive shooting, and cops being involved is just to much fun for me. Boring is good.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I went to the Lexington Opera House today. The best way I can describe the experience is, uneventful in every respect...
Good stuff, and good write-up.

You did get a reaction, though maybe not the one you expected. How many of the other entering patrons were asked to speak to, and were asked questions by, the manager?

Brian D.

This "school zone" ploy amongst quasi-public entities has become tiresome to me. Probably because up my way here in Cincinnati, the Zoo has declared itself as such. Personally I call shenanigans, their rationale is weaker than a thrice-used tea bag.

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable opera experience.

Brian D.

For what it's worth (not much in MY book) the Cincinnati Zoo operates some sort of outreach program to the city school district. My understanding is that occasionally they have a few high school students doing some sort of co-op work, or perhaps I should say coop work ;) , mostly cleaning cages or putting food in them. I don't think this program is operated anything close to full time or year round.

I'm sure the school district could finds more productive real world things for their students to be doing, like learning how to read or perform three digit addition/subtraction problems, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Anyhow, it is a lame way to make the Zoo off-limits to carry, considering the surrounding neighborhood is anything but crime free.

hotrod

As usual, Gutshot leads the way. Thanks for what you do for Kentucky gun carriers. If you did not know, it is appreciated. I hope I can accomplish as much as you have and will continue to do.

neuroblades

OC in Rupp.

I thought I had posted on this thread but apparently it was another one, possibly on the Drake Incident thread but after Drake had his nasty little encounter and after looking over their intimidating sign closely I realized that there wasn't really anything legally they could do (this was inside of Rupp side around the shops and over to the area where the gun show is held). I have since that time been actively open carrying inside the Rupp when attending the gun shows and have yet to have ANY ENCOUNTERS thus far with ANYONE! I have on the other hand had many positive remarks and input and have fielded many questions about the Right to OC, Kentucky gun laws, Carrying inside the Rupp building & other general queries in relationship to said topic.

As a Pro-2A advocate and activist I love nothing more that having people ask me as many questions as it takes for them to fully understand their Rights as a Kentuckian, it seems that there are quite a few out there they just don't know or understand their Rights and that's where I have tried to help educate as many as I possibly can. Let's just say that Ol' Gutshot is my inspiration. *LOL*

Additionally, for those that are under the false impression that when attending those gun shows, that you MUST completely disarm and present your sidearm for inspection and so forth. That is NOT the law! That is and can be treated like most other things pertaining to CC. That "rule" is apart of the RK Gun Shows rules and not law. Granted just like the NO GUN signs that we are all fully aware of that hold no weight of law unless you're asked to leave if you get made, the same is true here as well. Concealed means CONCEALED!