• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pleasant experience in Pr.Edward Co.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I was in Farmville, yesterday. Had a hearing in the Circuit Court, there, doing a restoration of rights & appeal from CHP denial mission. My client had been convicted of serious felonies in S.C. lo, these many years ago, had been incarcerated, learned his lesson, got out, and has been a model citizen for thirty years or so. He is a singer and informal minister of The Gospel. Has his own prison ministry program.

Anyway, he got a full pardon from S.C., but little known to him, the statute in Virginia that forbids possession of firearms by convicted felons includes a clause that equates acts committed in other places which would have been felonious in Virginia had they occurred in Virginia in that same category. So the guy applies for his CHP, and it gets denied on the ground that he's a convicted felon. He's astonished, because as far as he knows, he's been fully pardoned. Oops. Now in some parts of Virginia, that alone would have gotten him (falsely) arrested on a perjury charge (making a material false statement on an official form under oath). Good thing he wasn't actually in possession of any firearms, because unlike perjury (which requires a knowingly false statement), possession of a firearm after having been convicted requires no "mens rea", no "evil mind" - it doesn't matter whether you knew you were a felon or whether you'd been convicted; if you're carrying, you're guilty. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize they've been convicted of felonies, because they didn't go to jail, or because the matter was disposed of on a deal in the preliminary hearing in the General District Court.

I actually had to go down there several times, but the result was, his petition was granted and once that order was signed, the Commonwealth agreed that "shall issue" kicked in, so his CHP was approved without having to re-apply. The Commonwealth's Attorney, Mr. Innes, and his assistant, Mr. Butler, were very decent and co-operative. And the judge chatted a bit with us after the formal part of the hearing about the increase in CHP applications in Pr.Edward and Appomattox, and how many people were carrying these days. She seemed sympathetic to the issue of personal defense, and went out of her way to avoid causing us inconvenience or delay. All of the people who could have caused us unnecessary problems (and who in other cities and counties in Virginia, would have done so) were decent and downright helpful.

A breath of fresh air in Southern Virginia. I'm going to go down there more often. Perhaps I'll relocate.

Baked on Grease

Glad to hear it! Once I have a source of income that doesn't tie me to NoVa, I want to head south myself. I think my wife has family out past Farmville.

Anyhow, good to kmow there are still decent people in positions of power out there.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

va_tazdad

No passport required !

Snip:

"A breath of fresh air in Southern Virginia. I'm going to go down there more often. Perhaps I'll relocate. "

Oh Heck yes! Come on down!!!!!!

For you, the background check will be waved by the "Fraternal Order of the Brotherhood of the Scarlet Scarves!

;>)

sidestreet

Yeah....,

Snip:

"A breath of fresh air in Southern Virginia. I'm going to go down there more often. Perhaps I'll relocate. "

Oh Heck yes! Come on down!!!!!!

For you, the background check will be waved by the "Fraternal Order of the Brotherhood of the Scarlet Scarves!

;>)

what he said!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.