• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Question About a Sign

Esanders2008

So I went to both Buckroe beach and Fort Monroe today. I noticed signs on both fishing piers that stated, amongst other things, no weapons except as permitted by law. The Commonwealth owns Ft Monroe and Hampton owns Buckroe Beach. I was open carrying. Was I allowed to?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"No Weapons Except As Permitterd By Law" means generally that they do not have a leg to stand on but are hoping that the vast majority will erroneously believe they must have some sort of special permission slip in order to carry there.

Because Buckroe Beach is part of a local government municipality, state preemption is in force. Unless something special is happening there (e.g.: area is being used exclusively for a school function) they cannot close off an otherwise permissable area. BTW - if it was being used exclusively for a school function, how would you get to be there in the first place?:uhoh: (We will not discuss the AG's wrong and idiotic ruling concerning municipal property rented by a third property.:cuss::banghead::cuss:)

IIRC Fortress Monroe is now a state park. Carry at state parks is permitted.

stay safe.

Glockster

"No Weapons Except As Permitterd By Law" means generally that they do not have a leg to stand on but are hoping that the vast majority will erroneously believe they must have some sort of special permission slip in order to carry there.

Because Buckroe Beach is part of a local government municipality, state preemption is in force. Unless something special is happening there (e.g.: area is being used exclusively for a school function) they cannot close off an otherwise permissable area. BTW - if it was being used exclusively for a school function, how would you get to be there in the first place?:uhoh: (We will not discuss the AG's wrong and idiotic ruling concerning municipal property rented by a third property.:cuss::banghead::cuss:)

IIRC Fortress Monroe is now a state park. Carry at state parks is permitted.

stay safe.

Isn't Fort Monroe actually now a National Monument under NPS? (http://www.nps.gov/fomr/index.htm)

TFred

Isn't Fort Monroe actually now a National Monument under NPS? (http://www.nps.gov/fomr/index.htm)
From their website:

About
Created by Presidential Proclamation on November 1, 2011, Fort Monroe National Monument is one of the newest additions to the national park system. Fort Monroe was the third oldest United States Army post in continuous active service until its closure in September 2011. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Fort Monroe National Monument 325-acre park boundary includes historic fortifications and the North Beach area.

In the spring of 2012, the National Park Service began working on the first phase of planning to develop a Foundation Document that helps identify what is nationally significant about the monument.

On April 30, 2012, the National Park Service will hold the first public open house meetings to discuss the development of the Foundation Document. The public is invited to attend one of the meetings or may participate electronically through our website: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/FOMR-1

So it would seem to fall under the rest of the NPS rules, which should not restrict any form of legal carry, other than in posted buildings, no?

TFred

mobeewan

Only about 20 % of the Fort Monroe Army base is going to be a National Park. It will include the old fort surrounded by the moat and some of the land outside the moat. I don't believe it has been finalized yet. The entire Fort Monroe Army base is made of a spit of land extending south from Buckroe Beace in Hampton to the north and connected to the Phoebus portion of Hampton in the south by 2 bridges across the lower end of Mill Creek. These are currently the only roads into the base. I'm not sure if any land has been transferred yet but supposedly the Army says it has recently transferred a deed for 313 acres. There is a "Fort Monroe Authority" established to deal with the land. Two city council members from Hampton just quit and will be replaced by 2 more people since they were not eligible to be on the commission. Some of the land will probably be developed. Hampton is currently providing police and fire protection to Fort Monroe.

http://articles.dailypress.com/keyword/fort-monroe

Fort Monroe plan now calls for residential growth

By Robert Brauchle, rbrauchle@dailypress.com | 757-247-2827 | April 26, 2013

HAMPTON — Standing on Fort Monroe's stone casemates, visitors may some day see new homes and athletic fields on the spit of land leading to the National Park Service monument. An ever-evolving plan presented Wednesday afternoon creates a "waterfront community" that focuses on residential development replacing existing buildings in the Wherry Quarter. Creating such a landscape will help the property become self-sufficient in the next 10 to 15 years, according to Fort Monroe Authority officials who presented the plan to the authority's Planning Advisory Group.

Last edited:

Glockster

From their website:

About
Created by Presidential Proclamation on November 1, 2011, Fort Monroe National Monument is one of the newest additions to the national park system. Fort Monroe was the third oldest United States Army post in continuous active service until its closure in September 2011. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Fort Monroe National Monument 325-acre park boundary includes historic fortifications and the North Beach area.

In the spring of 2012, the National Park Service began working on the first phase of planning to develop a Foundation Document that helps identify what is nationally significant about the monument.

On April 30, 2012, the National Park Service will hold the first public open house meetings to discuss the development of the Foundation Document. The public is invited to attend one of the meetings or may participate electronically through our website: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/FOMR-1

So it would seem to fall under the rest of the NPS rules, which should not restrict any form of legal carry, other than in posted buildings, no?

TFred

Frankly I get lost on the requirements, but last I read there was initially a conflict in NPS calling for CC only, but then that got changed in 2011, I believe, so that it was comply with rules of the state that that park was in thing.