• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brandishing

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This is crazy. What the hell is this guy thinking? A walk across the show floor to the nearest state or county police officer to inform him of what took place might be in order. Why not post the name of his business so that other gun people can see it and steer clean of him at shows? Also so they can spread the word around. Hit him where it hurts; his wallet. We do not need this type of behavior from anyone in our ranks. Make this guy's life miserable.

va_tazdad

Agree

This is crazy. What the hell is this guy thinking? A walk across the show floor to the nearest state or county police officer to inform him of what took place might be in order. Why not post the name of his business so that other gun people can see it and steer clean of him at shows? Also so they can spread the word around. Hit him where it hurts; his wallet. We do not need this type of behavior from anyone in our ranks. Make this guy's life miserable.

+1000, or as they used to say in my day, "What he said!"

va_tazdad

Go for it!

Yeah; and he won't get any help from me. In fact, I'm kind of mulling over a civil suit for assault.

And the next time you see one of the "central committee" members, could you send some more cards down. I have passed on your data to a number of folks that would like to carry your card as I do.

Thanks.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
To be honest, I don't know the name of his business. If anyone goes to the show, he's the table to the right facing the VCDL table.

I could have gone up front and told one of the cops or go to the Magistrate but it would violate my #1 rule. Never call a cop. Just fussing with the show promoter was out of character. I really don't say things just to hear myself. I don't have a CHP because I believe what I say and I don't dial 911 because I believe what I say.

I couldn't shoot him because I didn't have a gun. I wouldn't have if I did. I wasn't afraid of him. I didn't think he was going to shoot me in the middle of the show...I was mad that he'd point it at me then run his mouth like a street mugger.

I could have hit him and in fact...was headed that way. Thankfully I was intercepted because I'd been the one to get locked up. That's why my wife is known as "The Keeper". I don't show good judgment at times and have a bad temper age hasn't mellowed a lot.

Gunshows have been under siege this year and Bloomberg would love to hear about Vendors Brandishing or Bad Tempered Attendees (AKA Angry White Men).....so arresting him would be harmful from a PR standpoint.

I've been doing a very slow burn over VCDL's position about brandishing and Bruce's attitude didn't help, although I think he just wanted to avoid any conflict.....BUT, that seems to be the position of VCDL on the subject anyway.
Years ago they would have been all over Scousers Case and raising hell about setting up next to the mad Drawer Holsterman. That's the price of success though.

Last edited:

scouser

The next person he does that to might not have The Keeper with them. They, also, might not share your feelings of never talking. Personally I think shows would be better without that vendor in attendance.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

PeterNap said;
I could have hit him and in fact...was headed that way. Thankfully I was intercepted because I'd been the one to get locked up.

well, I dont believe that at all!
Hitting a man, with your fist, to defend yourself from assault with a deadly weapon, seems like a very reasonable thing to do!

In my big boy voice,,, I will say, I would have beat the crapola out of that guy, hurt him real good, probably break his arm or wrist,
take away his gun, and cram it right up his derrier, call the cops, swear out the complaint, testify at his trial!

Steeler-gal

My wife saw what was happening and grabbed me with her usual "What are you doing?" and yanked me to the other side of the isle (She's tougher than I am so I went along:uhoh:)...anyway, we got to the front of the building and saw Bruce Jackson and his dog. I said hello and Bruce said he was working the VCDL table.

I asked Bruce who that idiot was and he said (I don't know but he's a hell of a salesman). I explained what was going on and Bruce just said, tell the show sponsor (Who were right there).

I did tell them and they went back there. No idea what happened and don't really care. I bought a few things then went to dinner.

I have some serious questions about training and attitudes though.

Here we have Scouser who was charged with Brandising for simply putting his gun in his holster in his own car. VCDL's only statement I know of was, this will teach him to never touch his gun.

But a vendor points a gun at a helpless elderly man:cry: and threatens him and a VCDL Board member says he's a hell of a salesman.

Something is just not right there.

But Bruce called him a heck of a salesman before you told him your story. By the way he's right. I think I know which vendor you mean and he is an excellent salesman - creepy as it is that he keeps putting his hands in his pants. :) I've watched and he makes tons is sales.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The guy at the gun show didn't get charged with brandishing because (it seems) no one told the police. In the other instance someone (supposedly) did report it to the police.

The last gun show I went to was crawling with LEOs. I'd have tracked one of them down and told them he pointed a gun at me and then gone to the organizers and complained to them. There's no excuse for pointing a gun at me and no way in hell he'd get away with it.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I want to thank peter nap for bringing this person's behavior to our attention.

I also want to thank peter nap for explaining why he chose to act/respond in the way he did. Knowing him I can quite clearly see him telling the Magistrate that he was never in fear of imminent death or serious physical injury, but meerly PO'd at the stupidity of the guy and felt that percussive readjustment of his brain housing group might help him understand why it was not good to do stupid stuff.

Most of all I want to thank The Keeper for making sure peter nap continues to be available to do the things he does for the cause (whatever that might be).

va-tazdad - see me or Grapeshot for a few more cards. We probably will also give you some of Ed's OC cards and some VCDL application forms to go with the brown cheat sheet on Virginia laws regarding carry of firearms.

Everybody else - if you go to a gun show, please stop by the VCDL table and pick up some of the cheat sheets and some VCDL brochures. (Hint - you can cut out the application form and just carry that part if you are trying to reduce bulk. Folded twice the application fits nicely, along with one of Ed's OC cards, inside a folded-over cheat sheet.)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
But Bruce called him a heck of a salesman before you told him your story. By the way he's right. I think I know which vendor you mean and he is an excellent salesman - creepy as it is that he keeps putting his hands in his pants. :) I've watched and he makes tons is sales.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The guy at the gun show didn't get charged with brandishing because (it seems) no one told the police. In the other instance someone (supposedly) did report it to the police.

The last gun show I went to was crawling with LEOs. I'd have tracked one of them down and told them he pointed a gun at me and then gone to the organizers and complained to them. There's no excuse for pointing a gun at me and no way in hell he'd get away with it.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

You're right! When I asked Bruce who that damn idiot was next to them...he probably thought I was gonna order a case of his holsters.

He probably does sell a lot of holsters...Crack dealers sell a lot of crack too but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to set a table up next to them and compliment their salesmanship. I guess that's a CHiPper thing.

I don't have a clue what you mean by that but if you're talking about VCDL ignoring MEMBERS such as Scouser and Skidmark that have been charged with a crime which was obviously NOT a crime, while ignoring people actually committing the crime within ten feet.....people can draw their own conclusion.

I've thought for a long time that firearms instructors should know the law and perhaps have a hint of ethics thrown in. Police your own ranks....don't ask the Cops to do it for you!

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
I could have gone up front and told one of the cops or go to the Magistrate but it would violate my #1 rule. Never call a cop. Just fussing with the show promoter was out of character. I really don't say things just to hear myself. I don't have a CHP because I believe what I say and I don't dial 911 because I believe what I say.

It's great to see someone else who doesn't go running to the government/popo. At the very least they will exacerbate things.

I believe every situation can be handled without government intervention. Though, the government has convinced almost everyone otherwise, and will even punish those who don't use the monopolized services that has been forced upon them.

scouser

before anyone buys one of this vendor's holsters, here's a thought.
The ones he's demonstrating his technique with are how old? No one but the vendor knows, but I'm sure they're well worn, loosened up, very pliable. Then you buy a new one from him and it's all brand new stiff leather. Just how easy is it going to be for you to replicate what he does? I mean the quick draw mastery, obviously anyone can behave like an equine's donkey, although that too would require some practise to reach that vendor's level of ability.

nuc65

Activist Member
It's great to see someone else who doesn't go running to the government/popo. At the very least they will exacerbate things.

I believe every situation can be handled without government intervention. Though, the government has convinced almost everyone otherwise, and will even punish those who don't use the monopolized services that has been forced upon them.

amen

MKEgal

SouthernBoy said:
post the name of his business so that other gun people can see it and steer clean of him
+1

skidmark said:
PO'd at the stupidity of the guy and felt that percussive readjustment of his brain housing group might help him understand why it was not good to do stupid stuff.
:D One whack with a cane to remove the pistol from his hand, the second whack to the head to impress upon him that it's a Bad Idea [SUP]TM[/SUP] to point guns at people.

carsontech said:
It's great to see someone else who doesn't go running to the government/popo.
They have their uses.
When my house was burgled, I called police (to write the report so I could file a claim w/ my insurance agency).
Picking up criminals is one of their useful functions.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm thinking something needs to be done. Sort of a Second Amendment "police our own" type of thing.

There are no exceptions in The Four Rules for ziptied guns.

Although perhaps a little harsh, the victim can always gather witnesses and make a trip to the magistrate.

Noisy complaints to the show's producers might do it. Also, an internet campaign against his unsafe gun handling--negative comments on his YouTube channel (if he has one) and so forth.

carsontech

Activist Member
Noisy complaints to the show's producers might do it. Also, an internet campaign against his unsafe gun handling--negative comments on his YouTube channel (if he has one) and so forth.

Using a reputation system type approach rather than using the state? Anarchy, I say! There will be chaos! :D