• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA CPL holder visiting MI

jt59

hey folks,

So, it's been a couple of years since I was back to MI, and am coming in a couple of weeks. I read over the do's and don'ts link/card you have so thoughtfully constructed and understand it, but was curious if any current legislation or pending in the legislature has had or will have any impact on your MI current law for open or concealed carry.

WA CPL still has reciprocity with MI right?...........and am I allowed to OC in the MI State Capitol building and campus if I visit it?

We had some 13 bills in the last legislature here.... (we have a part-time legislature)... All failed.

JT

Last edited:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
hey folks,

So, it's been a couple of years since I was back to MI, and am coming in a couple of weeks. I read over the do's and don'ts link/card you have so thoughtfully constructed and understand it, but was curious if any current legislation or pending in the legislature has had or will have any impact on your MI current law for open or concealed carry.

WA CPL still has reciprocity with MI right?...........and am I allowed to OC in the MI State Capitol building and campus if I visit it?

We had some 13 bills in the last legislature here.... (we have a part-time legislature)... All failed.

JT

Yes, and Yes.

Your CPL is good so long as you're a resident of the state that issued it.

You're legally allowed to carry in the State Capitol building and campus, so long as you're in a place you're legally allowed to be (roaming into private offices or other off-limits places is a no-no, carry or not).

FreeInAZ

hey folks,

JT

I feel your pain JT - here in AZ we had 17 pro gun bill's this session - only 3 passed - the others died quietly..:mad:

JT had a great question regarding carrying a firearm not registered in MI since most non residents(other than myself) do not have pistols registered under Michigans goofy laws, does he have to worry about that? I am a little rusty on my MCL's been away for almost a year now. I think he's covered under his. CPL/CHL/CCW. ?

Last edited:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
I feel your pain JT - here in AZ we had 17 pro gun bill this session - only 3 passed - the others died quietly..:mad:

JT had a great question regarding carrying a firearm not registered in MI since most non residents(other than myself) do not have pistols registered under Michigans goofy laws, does he have to worry about that? I am a little rusty on my MCL's been away for almost a year now. I think he's covered under his. CPL/CHL/CCW. ?

So long as you have a license to carry (openly or concealed) from your home state and your stay in Michigan is less than 180 days, no registration is necessary. If your intent is to establish residency then you must register your pistols with michigan within 30 days, if I recall correctly.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
hey folks,

JT

WA/CPL is valid for CC/OC. Yes, you may carry on the "campus" of the Capitol and in the capitol itself. In fact, I, and many others, carried in the capitol during the 2nd Amendment March a couple months ago...