Thread: TN Law on DUI

Question TN Law on DUI

I had a really bad lapse of judgement in early 2009 and got charged with a DUI. I just recently applied for the handgun permit and wanted to make sure I am reading this correctly. Since I only have 1 DUI 4 years ago that I should be ok to get the carry permit. Anyone familiar with TN law and know the specifics if this is the case or not? Here is the law stated below. Thanks!

"The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal. "

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrainey1995 View Post
    I had a really bad lapse of judgement in early 2009 and got charged with a DUI. I just recently applied for the handgun permit and wanted to make sure I am reading this correctly. Since I only have 1 DUI 4 years ago that I should be ok to get the carry permit. Anyone familiar with TN law and know the specifics if this is the case or not? Here is the law stated below. Thanks!

"The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal. "
    Moved your post/thread to the Tennessee sub-forum because the question is state specific.

Presuming you quoted the law correctly - then the answer is "NO".
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

No ?

When you say NO, do you mean that you think I cannot get a permit? Thanks

convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal.
    Seems straight forward, 5 years from your dooie before you can apply. Sometime in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    Seems straight forward, 5 years from your dooie before you can apply. Sometime in 2014.
    Not really straightforward. I got confirmation that the "and" is conjunctive which means it has to be 2 dui's within a 10 year period and one of them being within 5. So with one dui, you are ok to apply.

Banned
    Not really straightforward. I got confirmation that the "and" is conjunctive which means it has to be 2 dui's within a 10 year period and one of them being within 5. So with one dui, you are ok to apply.
    Its engrish ... not hard to understand ..

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Its engrish ... not hard to understand ..
    Engrish? It must be a little tough to understand there are a lot of people who think it means that you have to wait 5 years to obtain a hcp if you have one dui.

A single DUI should not prevent you from getting a HCP, even if was 6 months ago. As the law says, if you have (2) DUI within a 10 year period AND the latest within (5) years. So you could have 7 DUIs if the last one was over 5 years ago.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    A single DUI should not prevent you from getting a HCP, even if was 6 months ago. As the law says, if you have (2) DUI within a 10 year period AND the latest within (5) years. So you could have 7 DUIs if the last one was over 5 years ago.
    Fallguy, thanks for the clarification on this. I thought this was the case but people are misinterpreting the wording. I appreciate it.

Fallguy, thanks for the clarification on this. I thought this was the case but people are misinterpreting the wording. I appreciate it.
    Hey brother, I went through the same thing. Check out this thread, it will answer your questions clearly... http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/to...ccw-questions/

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Moved your post/thread to the Tennessee sub-forum because the question is state specific.

wow man, how wrong you are... You might want to do some research before giving any "advise"

Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Quote Originally Posted by glocksocks View Post
    wow man, how wrong you are... You might want to do some research before giving any "advise"
    My answer could have been made more clear especially since I highlighted the wrong word

No he shouldn't have any problem getting his permit.

On slightly different note, we routinely offer our interpertations/understandings of laws and/or rules and do not expect to be criticized for doing so. My "research" button works quite well thank you - it is the most utilized key on my keyboard.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

My answer could have been made more clear especially since I highlighted the wrong word

No he shouldn't have any problem getting his permit.

On slightly different note, we routinely offer our interpertations/understandings of laws and/or rules and do not expect to be criticized for doing so. My "research" button works quite well thank you - it is the most utilized key on my keyboard.
    I think my computer is defective ... I have no "research" button, just an "I think I'm awesome and I need to tell everyone" button

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    I think my computer is defective ... I have no "research" button, just an "I think I'm awesome and I need to tell everyone" button
    Do you have a point you wish to make relative to the thread?

Do you have a point you wish to make relative to the thread?
    Relative to the original topic of the thread? No sir.

Relative to where the thread went when someone attacked you, especially with your humorous response leaving room for my satirical statement? Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    Relative to the original topic of the thread? No sir.

Relative to where the thread went when someone attacked you, especially with your humorous response leaving room for my satirical statement? Yes sir.
    Now that I can understand and accept