• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Law on DUI

bbrainey1995

I had a really bad lapse of judgement in early 2009 and got charged with a DUI. I just recently applied for the handgun permit and wanted to make sure I am reading this correctly. Since I only have 1 DUI 4 years ago that I should be ok to get the carry permit. Anyone familiar with TN law and know the specifics if this is the case or not? Here is the law stated below. Thanks!

"The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal. "

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I had a really bad lapse of judgement in early 2009 and got charged with a DUI. I just recently applied for the handgun permit and wanted to make sure I am reading this correctly. Since I only have 1 DUI 4 years ago that I should be ok to get the carry permit. Anyone familiar with TN law and know the specifics if this is the case or not? Here is the law stated below. Thanks!

"The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal. "

Moved your post/thread to the Tennessee sub-forum because the question is state specific.

Presuming you quoted the law correctly - then the answer is "NO".

XD40sc

convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal.

Seems straight forward, 5 years from your dooie before you can apply. Sometime in 2014.

bbrainey1995

Seems straight forward, 5 years from your dooie before you can apply. Sometime in 2014.

Not really straightforward. I got confirmation that the "and" is conjunctive which means it has to be 2 dui's within a 10 year period and one of them being within 5. So with one dui, you are ok to apply.

Fallguy

A single DUI should not prevent you from getting a HCP, even if was 6 months ago. As the law says, if you have (2) DUI within a 10 year period AND the latest within (5) years. So you could have 7 DUIs if the last one was over 5 years ago.

bbrainey1995

Thanks!

A single DUI should not prevent you from getting a HCP, even if was 6 months ago. As the law says, if you have (2) DUI within a 10 year period AND the latest within (5) years. So you could have 7 DUIs if the last one was over 5 years ago.

Fallguy, thanks for the clarification on this. I thought this was the case but people are misinterpreting the wording. I appreciate it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Moved your post/thread to the Tennessee sub-forum because the question is state specific.

Presuming you quoted the law correctly - then the answer is "NO".

wow man, how wrong you are... You might want to do some research before giving any "advise"

My answer could have been made more clear especially since I highlighted the wrong word :(

No he shouldn't have any problem getting his permit.

On slightly different note, we routinely offer our interpertations/understandings of laws and/or rules and do not expect to be criticized for doing so. My "research" button works quite well thank you - it is the most utilized key on my keyboard.

Silvertongue

My answer could have been made more clear especially since I highlighted the wrong word :(

No he shouldn't have any problem getting his permit.

On slightly different note, we routinely offer our interpertations/understandings of laws and/or rules and do not expect to be criticized for doing so. My "research" button works quite well thank you - it is the most utilized key on my keyboard.

I think my computer is defective ... I have no "research" button, just an "I think I'm awesome and I need to tell everyone" button

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Relative to the original topic of the thread? No sir.

Relative to where the thread went when someone attacked you, especially with your humorous response leaving room for my satirical statement? Yes sir.

Now that I can understand and accept :)