• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying Concealed in Places Not Posted.

okayrespond

This is my first post so if it's in the wrong section, I'm sorry.
I am curious about the places (i.e. a mall) that don't have any signs stating "NO FIREARMS" posted on the doors or entrances. But it turns out that the mall actually doesn't allow firearms. If I were to carry my handgun concealed on my hip and while I was shopping police come and tell me the mall doesn't allow firearms on the premises, Could I get in trouble??

Now keep in mind the store never had signs stating "No Firearms".

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

This is my first post so if it's in the wrong section, I'm sorry.
I am curious about the places (i.e. a mall) that don't have any signs stating "NO FIREARMS" posted on the doors or entrances. But it turns out that the mall actually doesn't allow firearms. If I were to carry my handgun concealed on my hip and while I was shopping police come and tell me the mall doesn't allow firearms on the premises, Could I get in trouble??

Now keep in mind the store never had signs stating "No Firearms".

Is this a joke question?
This is an Open Carry board.
If you carry Concealled,,, who would know you have a gun?
Do you have a CPL?
Even if there were "No Guns" signs,they could only demand that you leave!
If you Do Not leave, then you can be charged with tresspassing...

EMNofSeattle

In Washington state, signs have no weight of law in and of themselves (note, there are places off limits to most citizens firearms as spelled out in RCW 9.41.300, most of these locations MAY be signed, this sign technically has force of law in that it's a reminder of the law)

most private business may place a sign to tell you not to carry, this can vary from a list of rules to a specific gunbuster sign. again, these have no force of law, if you carry anyway, chances are you'll be asked to leave, and if you refuse the property owner can arrest you for trespass and/or call the police who may either arrest you or cite you for trespass.

if you are carrying concealed and someone (such as the store owner, manager, security guard) notices your gun and calls the cops, chances are if cops do actually come you'll probably just be asked to leave.

please note, if ANY employee of a business tells you to leave, do not argue with them about that employees authority. LEAVE IMMEDIATELY and contact the business management. while most hourly employees (except for security guards) in most service and hospitality outfits don't have the authority by their employer under employment guidelines to ask you to leave, if they're really stupid and call the police and no manager is there to call them off the cops will simply assume that employee does have authority....

finally, I don't give money to businesses that don't support the 2nd amendment and Art 1 Sec 24

okayrespond

Thank you EMNofseattle it was very helpful.

and 1245 A Defender, way to be a ******.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Is this a joke question?
This is an Open Carry board.............

OK, let me be the first to say Welcome to the Forum. The question you asked has been asked over and over again by people who miss the "search" thingie on the top of the page. Redundancy fosters irritation so get your flame retardant suit on and ask away. But try the "search" first.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Thank you EMNofseattle it was very helpful.

and 1245 A Defender, way to be a ******.

Im not really a ******, whatever that is.
I did answer ALL of the questions you posed.

BTW,,, I would bet, that somewhere in EVERY mall EVERYWHERE, you will be able to find
SOMEWHERE, a sign or list or rules of conduct, that will say in some form or another,
In FINE print,,, that guns are Not allowed in this mall!!!
( I have to take this back,,, Great Lakes Crossing is a mall in Michigan.
A famous Ex poster from this forum, used to OC there so he could pretend
to not notice the people that noticed that he was Open Carring a gun.)

But folks carry in malls all the time, half the time they are asked to leave,
half the time nothing happens.

If you want to play here, you need to grow some thicker skin.
Ask Big Gay Al what I wrote to a noobe on the 3rd.
I dont remember what it was, But
it was deleted!

Oh and by the way,,, Welcome to OCDO!
Study,,, a lot!!
Ask questions!
Go to a meet and greet in your area,,, wherever that might be,, where is your area?
Learn to put up with grumpy old men.

1911er

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum. Its always good to have some new people ask questions that's what were here for. And the grumpy old men are really just teddy bears once you get to know them. If you ever find your self in port Orchard on the 3rd sat of the month we have A coffee and lunch meet at noon here https://plus.google.com/110087323951533570285/about?gl=us&hl=en come on down

okayrespond

Oh and by the way,,, Welcome to OCDO!
Study,,, a lot!!
Ask questions!
Go to a meet and greet in your area,,, wherever that might be,, where is your area?
Learn to put up with grumpy old men.

Ya my bad, didn't mean to get hostile! My area is Everett. Sounds fun maybe i will one of these days. Thanks

Trigger Dr

There are a few on here that can be called grumpy, including myself. But if the truth be known, we just speak our mind and let the chips fall where they may. There are also some on here that the only thing they post is where they have been each and every day, as if they have to account for their activities. On occasion they give a bit of relevant information. You will soon recognize the various ones.
Welcome and OC every day.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
line 20 of the FAQ (Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...uently-Asked-Questions-About-Open-Carry/page5

20) Do “No Firearm” signs hold the weight of law in Washington State?
No Firearm signs have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in RCW 9.41.300 as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass and could arrest you even if you are within the law.