Thread: seeking snap caps for .32 revolver

seeking snap caps for .32 revolver

Apparently this is a very old & rare caliber for a revolver.
    If anyone can give me a lead as to where I might purchase snap caps for a .32 revolver, I'd appreciate the help.
    (I don't need ammo, 'cause it's probably not safe to shoot.)

It's also occurred to me that having empty brass should work OK,
    and I've heard about using drywall anchors as snap caps, so may try to find a size that fits.

Anyone have 8 empty .32 revolver brass casings they'd be willing to sell me?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    It's also occurred to me that having empty brass should work OK,
    and I've heard about using drywall anchors as snap caps, so may try to find a size that fits.

Anyone have 8 empty .32 revolver brass casings they'd be willing to sell me?
    why not just take cartridges and remove the bullet and powder .. now you'll have the brass and primer ... snap snap nap

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

.32 short? .32 long? .32 S&W?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

The correct snap caps will depend on the caliber you need. Offhand, I can think of the following .32 caliber cartridges that were chambered in revolvers:

.32 Rimfire short

.32 Rimfire long

.32 Short Colt

.32 Long Colt

.32 Colt New Police

.32 S&W

.32 S&W Long

.32 H&R Magnum

.327 Federal Magnum

.32 Colt New Police is a .32 S&W load with a flat nose bullet, and for all intents and purposes can be considered interchangeable.

The .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 magnum share the same cartridge diameter, but differ in length(much like the .38 Long Colt, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum series). Ammunition, and by extension fired brass are relatively easy to find for these. I typically make my own snap caps out of spent cartridges from which I remove the primer and fill the primer pocket with hot glue to cushion the firing pin. A Zoom also makes snap caps for all of the calibers in this series except for .327 Magnum, although the .32 S&W Short are basically universal for any revolver firing any of the calibers in this series.

The .32 Rimfire series cartridges are the same diameter as .32 Colt(long and short) although the Colt cartridges are centerfire. Rimfire cartridges are unavailable aside from old stock, and the .32 Colt are close to being unavailable. The cartridge diameter is considerably smaller than the .32 S&W series cartridges, so nothing for these will be compatible. If your revolver is in one of these calibers, I'm afraid that you're basically out of luck.

If center fire, take the primer out and glue a pencil eraser into the primer hole. Instant "snap cap" it will help protect your firing pin.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

+1 on the AZoom snap caps. They do eventually wear out - easily fixed by a dot of silicon over the worn out rubber pad at the back end. Let it harden, then trim flush with a sharp blade. I've been using the same set for over 10 years - must have "repaired" them three or four times.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    ... anyone can give me a lead as to where I might purchase snap caps for a .32 revolver...
    Did you ever find any? I have a Model 1 1/2 First Issue that uses .32 Rim Fire Short (which appears to be a little smaller then the normal .32 snap caps just like bunnspecial noted.).

Thanks!

First what gun is it, brand model? I have a Police Positive manufactured in 1911 in 32-20 and it is safe to shoot. 32 long and 32 short are very weak cartridges and unless the gun is falling apart it is likely safe to shoot. Unfortunately my casings will not fit your gun, but cut down 32 H&R should fit.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    +1 on the AZoom snap caps. They do eventually wear out - easily fixed by a dot of silicon over the worn out rubber pad at the back end. Let it harden, then trim flush with a sharp blade. I've been using the same set for over 10 years - must have "repaired" them three or four times.

stay safe.
    Good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    First what gun is it, brand model? I have a Police Positive manufactured in 1911 in 32-20 and it is safe to shoot. 32 long and 32 short are very weak cartridges and unless the gun is falling apart it is likely safe to shoot. Unfortunately my casings will not fit your gun, but cut down 32 H&R should fit.
    If you are asking me - sorry, it is a Smith and Wesson shipped from the factory in 1867. I have many different .32 snaps and they are just a little to big (diameter).

Quote Originally Posted by s&wowner View Post
    If you are asking me - sorry, it is a Smith and Wesson shipped from the factory in 1867. I have many different .32 snaps and they are just a little to big (diameter).
    I was addressing the OP, is yours rimfire or centerfire? If it was mine though that old it would be a desk trophy or wall hanger.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I was addressing the OP, is yours rimfire or centerfire? If it was mine though that old it would be a desk trophy or wall hanger.
    It is a Rim and hangs on the wall with its brothers and sisters. I load snaps in all my guns. Why? Seems like most people automatically pull the trigger when looking at antiques.
    Last edited by s&wowner; 09-19-2014 at 03:14 PM.