• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

seeking snap caps for .32 revolver

MKEgal

Apparently this is a very old & rare caliber for a revolver.
If anyone can give me a lead as to where I might purchase snap caps for a .32 revolver, I'd appreciate the help.
(I don't need ammo, 'cause it's probably not safe to shoot.)

MKEgal

It's also occurred to me that having empty brass should work OK,
and I've heard about using drywall anchors as snap caps, so may try to find a size that fits.

Anyone have 8 empty .32 revolver brass casings they'd be willing to sell me?

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's also occurred to me that having empty brass should work OK,
and I've heard about using drywall anchors as snap caps, so may try to find a size that fits.

Anyone have 8 empty .32 revolver brass casings they'd be willing to sell me?

why not just take cartridges and remove the bullet and powder .. now you'll have the brass and primer ... snap snap nap

bunnspecial

The correct snap caps will depend on the caliber you need. Offhand, I can think of the following .32 caliber cartridges that were chambered in revolvers:

.32 Rimfire short

.32 Rimfire long

.32 Short Colt

.32 Long Colt

.32 Colt New Police

.32 S&W

.32 S&W Long

.32 H&R Magnum

.327 Federal Magnum

.32 Colt New Police is a .32 S&W load with a flat nose bullet, and for all intents and purposes can be considered interchangeable.

The .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 magnum share the same cartridge diameter, but differ in length(much like the .38 Long Colt, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum series). Ammunition, and by extension fired brass are relatively easy to find for these. I typically make my own snap caps out of spent cartridges from which I remove the primer and fill the primer pocket with hot glue to cushion the firing pin. A Zoom also makes snap caps for all of the calibers in this series except for .327 Magnum, although the .32 S&W Short are basically universal for any revolver firing any of the calibers in this series.

The .32 Rimfire series cartridges are the same diameter as .32 Colt(long and short) although the Colt cartridges are centerfire. Rimfire cartridges are unavailable aside from old stock, and the .32 Colt are close to being unavailable. The cartridge diameter is considerably smaller than the .32 S&W series cartridges, so nothing for these will be compatible. If your revolver is in one of these calibers, I'm afraid that you're basically out of luck.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
+1 on the AZoom snap caps. They do eventually wear out - easily fixed by a dot of silicon over the worn out rubber pad at the back end. Let it harden, then trim flush with a sharp blade. I've been using the same set for over 10 years - must have "repaired" them three or four times.

stay safe.

s&wowner

... anyone can give me a lead as to where I might purchase snap caps for a .32 revolver...
oldman_01.gif
Did you ever find any? I have a Model 1 1/2 First Issue that uses .32 Rim Fire Short (which appears to be a little smaller then the normal .32 snap caps just like bunnspecial noted.).

Thanks!

WalkingWolf

First what gun is it, brand model? I have a Police Positive manufactured in 1911 in 32-20 and it is safe to shoot. 32 long and 32 short are very weak cartridges and unless the gun is falling apart it is likely safe to shoot. Unfortunately my casings will not fit your gun, but cut down 32 H&R should fit.

OC Freedom

+1 on the AZoom snap caps. They do eventually wear out - easily fixed by a dot of silicon over the worn out rubber pad at the back end. Let it harden, then trim flush with a sharp blade. I've been using the same set for over 10 years - must have "repaired" them three or four times.

stay safe.

Good tip.

s&wowner

First what gun is it, brand model? I have a Police Positive manufactured in 1911 in 32-20 and it is safe to shoot. 32 long and 32 short are very weak cartridges and unless the gun is falling apart it is likely safe to shoot. Unfortunately my casings will not fit your gun, but cut down 32 H&R should fit.
oldman_01.gif
If you are asking me - sorry, it is a Smith and Wesson shipped from the factory in 1867. I have many different .32 snaps and they are just a little to big (diameter).

WalkingWolf

oldman_01.gif
If you are asking me - sorry, it is a Smith and Wesson shipped from the factory in 1867. I have many different .32 snaps and they are just a little to big (diameter).

I was addressing the OP, is yours rimfire or centerfire? If it was mine though that old it would be a desk trophy or wall hanger.

s&wowner

I was addressing the OP, is yours rimfire or centerfire? If it was mine though that old it would be a desk trophy or wall hanger.
oldman_01.gif
It is a Rim and hangs on the wall with its brothers and sisters. :) I load snaps in all my guns. Why? Seems like most people automatically pull the trigger when looking at antiques. :)

Last edited: