• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleveland gun buy back

Jordysoso

I'll be using my iPhone on a website that you can run serial numbers of guns for free. They search databases of stolen or missing guns and it's instant.

docachna

Vendors license

Yes, I read the Cleveland ordinances on "vendors licenses" and it by definition only applies to people selling or bartering wares. It has no provisions to deal with those specifically purchasing. It's an item definitely in our favor. I searched the entire code for key words such as "solicit" and the only applicable item came for this vendor license section. It doesn't apply to purchasing.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Ohio/cleveland_oh/cityofclevelandohiocodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:cleveland_oh

* Have your pocket recorder running from the minute you exit your vehicle.
* Have multiple copies of the Cleveland city ordinance on vendors available for the PD.
* "Am I being detained, or am I free to go ? "

'Nuf said....

JediSkipdogg

www.gunverify.com

I used it a year ago when I bought my ruger. Idk if they have changed anything since but the homepage of the site still looks the same

FYI... that site is useless. First, you have to input what guns you own. Then if one of yours is stolen, you have to log into it and change it from owning to stolen. So, essentially, it's only going to contain what people put in there. It doesn't access the NCIC database where all stolen guns reported to police are entered.

eye95

FYI... that site is useless. First, you have to input what guns you own. Then if one of yours is stolen, you have to log into it and change it from owning to stolen. So, essentially, it's only going to contain what people put in there. It doesn't access the NCIC database where all stolen guns reported to police are entered.

Do you know of a site or app that does? TIA.

JediSkipdogg

Do you know of a site or app that does? TIA.

Unfortunately no, nothing will access what is reported to the police that the general public can use. NCIC is well protected and doesn't allow anything outside of the criminal justice community to access it.

About the only option is to have a friend in law enforcement that is willing to run it for you and I personally don't see that as a misuse of the system. I'm willing to run anything for anyone to verify non-stolen status. I just won't tell anymore besides "stolen or not."

JediSkipdogg

Will you be available during the buyback, Jedi?

I will be off during that time or I'd be glad to accept calls for them and run them. Another reason I'd love to do it because say one is stolen, I'd be interested to see someone videotape the process and pay a little more closely to that firearm to see what happens. I just can't believe a turn in with no questions asked would be effective. Imagine the news story when someone says one was turned in but they have no knowledge of who turned it in. It would also make for the awesome public records request that I'm going to hopefully file June 22.

Last edited: