• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislature admits that registration under PA13-3 creates a risk of injury or death

davidmcbeth

Banned
I asked for similar records via a FOI request from the Capitol Police as we are now required to provide to the state under PA13-3 (records relating to the firearms & mags listed as needing to be registered in PA13-3). The executive director (James Tracy) of the Office of Legislative Management is actually the correct person to respond to such a request from our legislature, not DESPP [ see CGS 1-210 (b)(10)]. So his answer is a final answer from the legislature.

The legislature, through James Tracy, responded to my request and stated that providing the records that are now required of us to provide to the state would create a safety risk. Lets assume this is true.

I would conclude that citizens who provide the state the exact same information would be putting their own safety at risk. Now the government would know the same information about citizens that it states creates a safety risk for a divulging party. It cannot be a one way street.

Currently, under PA13-3 (the gun control law), one can own an assault weapon IF one details the information about the guns to the state (who would make this information available to all federal, state and local governments and agencies) . The federal, state and local governments can or will know how to control the citizens using this information. This is clearly an infringement on our rights to keep and bear arms to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. One cannot demand information that would create a safety risk without infringing upon that right to keep and bear arms.

Of course a safety risk would include not just a mere hypothetical or mathematical possibly of injury or death under CGS 1-210; it must be a real risk. So should one have to risk death just to own a gun in this state? It appears that the legislature believes so by the requirement of registering firearms and accessories contained in PA13-3 and elsewhere in our statues.

The federal, state and local governments are just as able to commit crimes as citizens are and have done so in the past.

So are the registration requirements an infringement on our rights? I certainly think so. What do you think?