Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Quick question regarding OC in WA

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Bay, California
    Posts
    24

    Quick question regarding OC in WA

    Hi all. I take a yearly trip up to Seattle to see family and play tourist, and last year was the first time I OCd while there. Had a wonderful time and met some great people who were interested in knowing more. That yearly trip is coming up in about a month. Since it has been a year I wanted to do a quick refresher for my memory to make sure that I will still be abiding by all laws and regulations while in your lovely state. Basically my question is this: have any of the laws regarding OC changed in the last twelve months? I still have all my research from last year sitting on my desk, but I have found that asking someone who lives in the area and deals with these things on a regular basis can be a better way to get the information you might need.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398
    Nope.






    btw. Don't get birked.
    Last edited by OrangeIsTrouble; 05-06-2013 at 03:39 PM.


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Bay, California
    Posts
    24
    Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate the quick and concise response.

    In other news, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot and noob....birked?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kelso, Washington, USA
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by alxndrxvier View Post
    Hi all. I take a yearly trip up to Seattle to see family and play tourist, and last year was the first time I OCd while there. Had a wonderful time and met some great people who were interested in knowing more. That yearly trip is coming up in about a month. Since it has been a year I wanted to do a quick refresher for my memory to make sure that I will still be abiding by all laws and regulations while in your lovely state. Basically my question is this: have any of the laws regarding OC changed in the last twelve months? I still have all my research from last year sitting on my desk, but I have found that asking someone who lives in the area and deals with these things on a regular basis can be a better way to get the information you might need.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    No laws have changed as far as I know. By the way, by North Bay I assume you mean Marin County? Originally from Novato myself.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Bay, California
    Posts
    24
    @tanner, then you lived about 15 miles south of where I live, Santa Rosa. A word of advise. Stay there. It has just gotten worse here. Why do you think I spend my vacations in OR and WA? heh.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kelso, Washington, USA
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by alxndrxvier View Post
    @tanner, then you lived about 15 miles south of where I live, Santa Rosa. A word of advise. Stay there. It has just gotten worse here. Why do you think I spend my vacations in OR and WA? heh.
    I hear that! I do miss that area though. Too bad it's such a Gun Control area.

  7. #7
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Ignore the part about being "birked", it would take to long to explain. Just remember when you get in a vehicle to unload since you probably don't have a WA CPL. Just enjoy the time up here, and if you have time post up a time and location for an OC coffee get together.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  8. #8
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by alxndrxvier View Post
    Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate the quick and concise response.

    In other news, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot and noob....birked?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Bay, California
    Posts
    24
    @tanner, it is still a beautiful area, and for the most part not that bad of a place to raise kids. Unfortunately if you are at all trying to exercise your 2nd amendment rights it is almost hell on earth. Since ab144 and ab1527 were signed into law here in CA, (banning the open carry of handguns and long guns respectively) I have taken to wearing my empty holster in protest; I get some of the dirtiest looks and vilest comments from people, simply for silently and peacefully protesting what I consider to be an unjust law. Yeah, like I said it has gotten worse.

    @golddigger, Yup. I was aware of that. And no, I do not currently have a CPL/CHL that would work in WA. though I am planning to take a class later this year that would allow me to get one. Time and money being the only reasons I haven't done it yet. But thank you for the reminder, I had to stop a couple of times when up there last year and smack myself upside the head for almost getting into my own car before unloading. The sad part is that by the time I left, I was only there for 3 or 4 days, it had become second nature and I had to stop myself from doing it while in OR for the next 3 or 4 days. Heh. It's funny the way the brain works. As for the OC get together; I would that I could. Regretably I will only be in WA for about a day and a half, and all of that is booked with friends and family visits. However, now that I think about it, let me see if I can extend my stay for a day and if I can I will respond back to this. I will be in Seattle the whole time, so if that works maybe we can get together and share a coffee.

    @freedom1man, Ah. I see. I had googled it after I posted that, but the video really drives it home. When I was there last time I got a couple of strange looks from police officers, and it was just a double take when they realized that I was OCing. They did a double take, met my eyes, saw that I was smiling and looking right at them, we both nodded and they went on their way. I have been very lucky and am very glad that I have had almost nothing by wonderful experiences while OCing. I actually had more problems from people I knew already while up there than I had from business or strangers.

  10. #10
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    take an hour, at any sheriff or police station, your fingers and 57 bucks...
    apply for your washington state CPL! no training require...
    it is shall issue, they will send it to you in the mail in 60 days or less, good for 5 years, much reciprosity too...

    lots of folks in the seattle/tacoma area are happy to meet,,, at the drop of a hat.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  11. #11
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by alxndrxvier View Post
    @tanner, it is still a beautiful area, and for the most part not that bad of a place to raise kids. Unfortunately if you are at all trying to exercise your 2nd amendment rights it is almost hell on earth. Since ab144 and ab1527 were signed into law here in CA, (banning the open carry of handguns and long guns respectively) I have taken to wearing my empty holster in protest; I get some of the dirtiest looks and vilest comments from people, simply for silently and peacefully protesting what I consider to be an unjust law. Yeah, like I said it has gotten worse.

    @golddigger, Yup. I was aware of that. And no, I do not currently have a CPL/CHL that would work in WA. though I am planning to take a class later this year that would allow me to get one. Time and money being the only reasons I haven't done it yet. But thank you for the reminder, I had to stop a couple of times when up there last year and smack myself upside the head for almost getting into my own car before unloading. The sad part is that by the time I left, I was only there for 3 or 4 days, it had become second nature and I had to stop myself from doing it while in OR for the next 3 or 4 days. Heh. It's funny the way the brain works. As for the OC get together; I would that I could. Regretably I will only be in WA for about a day and a half, and all of that is booked with friends and family visits. However, now that I think about it, let me see if I can extend my stay for a day and if I can I will respond back to this. I will be in Seattle the whole time, so if that works maybe we can get together and share a coffee.

    @freedom1man, Ah. I see. I had googled it after I posted that, but the video really drives it home. When I was there last time I got a couple of strange looks from police officers, and it was just a double take when they realized that I was OCing. They did a double take, met my eyes, saw that I was smiling and looking right at them, we both nodded and they went on their way. I have been very lucky and am very glad that I have had almost nothing by wonderful experiences while OCing. I actually had more problems from people I knew already while up there than I had from business or strangers.
    WA CPL is $52.25, no extra funny stuff. Fill out your paperwork, give them the money, have your fingerprints taken, depending on where (any Sheriff's office) it will take from 0 to 60 days. Some counties are more accommodating then others. Kitsap is said to be good, I know Okanogan Co is good.

    When you are OCing with out a CPL remember RCW 9.41.060. It may be advantageous. (just have some camping/hiking gear with you...)

    I've OC'd for 43 years now here in WA. Don't even get double takes.
    Last edited by hermannr; 05-07-2013 at 09:42 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member HK_dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by alxndrxvier View Post
    @tanner, then you lived about 15 miles south of where I live, Santa Rosa. A word of advise. Stay there. It has just gotten worse here. Why do you think I spend my vacations in OR and WA? heh.
    Santa Rosa boy here too. lived in Rincon Valley, just off Calistoga Road.

    ahh, the summers when the hills would be on fire...
    Last edited by HK_dave; 05-07-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    US Constitution - void where prohibited by law.

  13. #13
    Regular Member skeith5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    357

    Re: Quick question regarding OC in WA

    I lived in Windsor for awhile. I loved Santa Rosa when I was there. Glad I'm no longer in such a restrictive state though!
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897
    I'm a High Desert rat. Grew up spending my summers in Apple Valley. Graduated from AVHS. Only been back to CA to visit a few times.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    take an hour, at any sheriff or police station, your fingers and 57 bucks...
    apply for your washington state CPL! no training require...
    it is shall issue, they will send it to you in the mail in 60 days or less, good for 5 years, much reciprosity too...

    lots of folks in the seattle/tacoma area are happy to meet,,, at the drop of a hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    WA CPL is $52.25, no extra funny stuff. Fill out your paperwork, give them the money, have your fingerprints taken, depending on where (any Sheriff's office) it will take from 0 to 60 days. Some counties are more accommodating then others. Kitsap is said to be good, I know Okanogan Co is good.

    When you are OCing with out a CPL remember RCW 9.41.060. It may be advantageous. (just have some camping/hiking gear with you...)

    I've OC'd for 43 years now here in WA. Don't even get double takes.
    Wow!! 4 hours after I tell him to get his CPL.... You do too...
    Posts like yours are a waste of bandwidth...
    Do you even read? Do you ever think? Go get a clue!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kelso, Washington, USA
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_dave View Post

    ahh, the summers when the hills would be on fire...
    You mean the annual Control Burns? Yeah, they did that around my area too!

  17. #17
    Regular Member HK_dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    You mean the annual Control Burns? Yeah, they did that around my area too!
    these were not control burns.
    US Constitution - void where prohibited by law.

  18. #18
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Wow!! 4 hours after I tell him to get his CPL.... You do too...
    Posts like yours are a waste of bandwidth...
    Do you even read? Do you ever think? Go get a clue!
    Yes I do read. You stated that a CPL was $57. sorry...it's $52.25. Accurate information is not a waste of bandwidth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •