• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question regarding OC in WA

alxndrxvier

Hi all. I take a yearly trip up to Seattle to see family and play tourist, and last year was the first time I OCd while there. Had a wonderful time and met some great people who were interested in knowing more. That yearly trip is coming up in about a month. Since it has been a year I wanted to do a quick refresher for my memory to make sure that I will still be abiding by all laws and regulations while in your lovely state. Basically my question is this: have any of the laws regarding OC changed in the last twelve months? I still have all my research from last year sitting on my desk, but I have found that asking someone who lives in the area and deals with these things on a regular basis can be a better way to get the information you might need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

alxndrxvier

Thank you very much for your time. :) I appreciate the quick and concise response.

In other news, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot and noob....birked?

tannerwaterbury

Hi all. I take a yearly trip up to Seattle to see family and play tourist, and last year was the first time I OCd while there. Had a wonderful time and met some great people who were interested in knowing more. That yearly trip is coming up in about a month. Since it has been a year I wanted to do a quick refresher for my memory to make sure that I will still be abiding by all laws and regulations while in your lovely state. Basically my question is this: have any of the laws regarding OC changed in the last twelve months? I still have all my research from last year sitting on my desk, but I have found that asking someone who lives in the area and deals with these things on a regular basis can be a better way to get the information you might need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

No laws have changed as far as I know. By the way, by North Bay I assume you mean Marin County? Originally from Novato myself.

alxndrxvier

@tanner, then you lived about 15 miles south of where I live, Santa Rosa. A word of advise. Stay there. :) It has just gotten worse here. Why do you think I spend my vacations in OR and WA? heh.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Ignore the part about being "birked", it would take to long to explain. Just remember when you get in a vehicle to unload since you probably don't have a WA CPL. Just enjoy the time up here, and if you have time post up a time and location for an OC coffee get together.

alxndrxvier

@tanner, it is still a beautiful area, and for the most part not that bad of a place to raise kids. Unfortunately if you are at all trying to exercise your 2nd amendment rights it is almost hell on earth. Since ab144 and ab1527 were signed into law here in CA, (banning the open carry of handguns and long guns respectively) I have taken to wearing my empty holster in protest; I get some of the dirtiest looks and vilest comments from people, simply for silently and peacefully protesting what I consider to be an unjust law. Yeah, like I said it has gotten worse.

@golddigger, Yup. I was aware of that. And no, I do not currently have a CPL/CHL that would work in WA. though I am planning to take a class later this year that would allow me to get one. Time and money being the only reasons I haven't done it yet. But thank you for the reminder, I had to stop a couple of times when up there last year and smack myself upside the head for almost getting into my own car before unloading. The sad part is that by the time I left, I was only there for 3 or 4 days, it had become second nature and I had to stop myself from doing it while in OR for the next 3 or 4 days. Heh. It's funny the way the brain works. As for the OC get together; I would that I could. Regretably I will only be in WA for about a day and a half, and all of that is booked with friends and family visits. However, now that I think about it, let me see if I can extend my stay for a day and if I can I will respond back to this. I will be in Seattle the whole time, so if that works maybe we can get together and share a coffee.

@freedom1man, Ah. I see. I had googled it after I posted that, but the video really drives it home. When I was there last time I got a couple of strange looks from police officers, and it was just a double take when they realized that I was OCing. They did a double take, met my eyes, saw that I was smiling and looking right at them, we both nodded and they went on their way. I have been very lucky and am very glad that I have had almost nothing by wonderful experiences while OCing. I actually had more problems from people I knew already while up there than I had from business or strangers.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

take an hour, at any sheriff or police station, your fingers and 57 bucks...
apply for your washington state CPL! no training require...
it is shall issue, they will send it to you in the mail in 60 days or less, good for 5 years, much reciprosity too...

lots of folks in the seattle/tacoma area are happy to meet,,, at the drop of a hat.

hermannr

@tanner, it is still a beautiful area, and for the most part not that bad of a place to raise kids. Unfortunately if you are at all trying to exercise your 2nd amendment rights it is almost hell on earth. Since ab144 and ab1527 were signed into law here in CA, (banning the open carry of handguns and long guns respectively) I have taken to wearing my empty holster in protest; I get some of the dirtiest looks and vilest comments from people, simply for silently and peacefully protesting what I consider to be an unjust law. Yeah, like I said it has gotten worse.

@golddigger, Yup. I was aware of that. And no, I do not currently have a CPL/CHL that would work in WA. though I am planning to take a class later this year that would allow me to get one. Time and money being the only reasons I haven't done it yet. But thank you for the reminder, I had to stop a couple of times when up there last year and smack myself upside the head for almost getting into my own car before unloading. The sad part is that by the time I left, I was only there for 3 or 4 days, it had become second nature and I had to stop myself from doing it while in OR for the next 3 or 4 days. Heh. It's funny the way the brain works. As for the OC get together; I would that I could. Regretably I will only be in WA for about a day and a half, and all of that is booked with friends and family visits. However, now that I think about it, let me see if I can extend my stay for a day and if I can I will respond back to this. I will be in Seattle the whole time, so if that works maybe we can get together and share a coffee.

@freedom1man, Ah. I see. I had googled it after I posted that, but the video really drives it home. When I was there last time I got a couple of strange looks from police officers, and it was just a double take when they realized that I was OCing. They did a double take, met my eyes, saw that I was smiling and looking right at them, we both nodded and they went on their way. I have been very lucky and am very glad that I have had almost nothing by wonderful experiences while OCing. I actually had more problems from people I knew already while up there than I had from business or strangers.

WA CPL is $52.25, no extra funny stuff. Fill out your paperwork, give them the money, have your fingerprints taken, depending on where (any Sheriff's office) it will take from 0 to 60 days. Some counties are more accommodating then others. Kitsap is said to be good, I know Okanogan Co is good.

When you are OCing with out a CPL remember RCW 9.41.060. It may be advantageous. (just have some camping/hiking gear with you...)

I've OC'd for 43 years now here in WA. Don't even get double takes.

Last edited:

HK_dave

@tanner, then you lived about 15 miles south of where I live, Santa Rosa. A word of advise. Stay there. :) It has just gotten worse here. Why do you think I spend my vacations in OR and WA? heh.

Santa Rosa boy here too. lived in Rincon Valley, just off Calistoga Road.

ahh, the summers when the hills would be on fire...
:monkey

Last edited:

skeith5

I lived in Windsor for awhile. I loved Santa Rosa when I was there. Glad I'm no longer in such a restrictive state though!

1245A Defender

Well,,,

take an hour, at any sheriff or police station, your fingers and 57 bucks...
apply for your washington state CPL! no training require...
it is shall issue, they will send it to you in the mail in 60 days or less, good for 5 years, much reciprosity too...

lots of folks in the seattle/tacoma area are happy to meet,,, at the drop of a hat.

WA CPL is $52.25, no extra funny stuff. Fill out your paperwork, give them the money, have your fingerprints taken, depending on where (any Sheriff's office) it will take from 0 to 60 days. Some counties are more accommodating then others. Kitsap is said to be good, I know Okanogan Co is good.

When you are OCing with out a CPL remember RCW 9.41.060. It may be advantageous. (just have some camping/hiking gear with you...)

I've OC'd for 43 years now here in WA. Don't even get double takes.

Wow!! 4 hours after I tell him to get his CPL.... You do too...
Posts like yours are a waste of bandwidth...
Do you even read? Do you ever think? Go get a clue!

hermannr

Wow!! 4 hours after I tell him to get his CPL.... You do too...
Posts like yours are a waste of bandwidth...
Do you even read? Do you ever think? Go get a clue!

Yes I do read. You stated that a CPL was $57. sorry...it's $52.25. Accurate information is not a waste of bandwidth.