• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Solitary confinement for kid on camping trip who brought a small knife - nice outing!

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/fifth-grader-suspended-overnight-nature-012034230.html

A fifth-grader in Cupertino, California was suspended and threatened with expulsion for bringing a small Swiss Army knife on a school-sponsored, science-oriented camping trip.

Consequently, Bandermann told TheDC, school officials forced Braden to serve a one-day suspension at camp. He was allegedly isolated in a teacher’s lounge area from all the other children. He was forced to eat meals by himself. He was forced to sleep in an area separate from all the other children. He missed an entire day of activities.

MKEgal

How can you go camping without a knife?
What kind of wussy "camping" trip were they offering?

Most of high school I carried a swiss army knife, wherever I was.
No fuss, no blood (mine or anyone else).

Redbaron007

They were in a Motel 8...why did he need a knife? Isn't that Komifornia school camping? :lol:

All too often, educators miss the best time to educate....