• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good overview of Mississippi as an open carry state

DCriswell

MyGlockisaRedneck0

Waiting

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting for July 1 to see what happens. I have asked various people from my dentist to a local car dealer how they felt about people wearing guns into their places of business. ALL of them just shrugged their shoulders and said that it did not bother them! I really hope that some entity either the MHP or the AG issues a notice about Open Carry to put us at ease. Right now, we are all in jeopardy if we are to just go by what the local sheriff or PD "feels" about the matter. I carried a firearm openly as a LEO for about 15 years so I would have no problem carrying one openly now. I have a Firearms Permit with the Instructor Course Enhancement so I should be ready either way.

Clear, concise information for law enforcement agencies is what is needed now. This info should also be shared with the general public too so that we are all on the same page.

georg jetson

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting for July 1 to see what happens. I have asked various people from my dentist to a local car dealer how they felt about people wearing guns into their places of business. ALL of them just shrugged their shoulders and said that it did not bother them! I really hope that some entity either the MHP or the AG issues a notice about Open Carry to put us at ease. Right now, we are all in jeopardy if we are to just go by what the local sheriff or PD "feels" about the matter. I carried a firearm openly as a LEO for about 15 years so I would have no problem carrying one openly now. I have a Firearms Permit with the Instructor Course Enhancement so I should be ready either way.

Clear, concise information for law enforcement agencies is what is needed now. This info should also be shared with the general public too so that we are all on the same page.

Who gives a rat's a$$ what notice the MHP or the AG issues!

The people of MS. need to educate their law enforcement servants. I've already offered help. I'll donate postage.

MyGlockisaRedneck0

Who gives a rat's a$$ what notice the MHP or the AG issues!

The people of MS. need to educate their law enforcement servants. I've already offered help. I'll donate postage.

Uh, Georg, just how many Mississippi law enforcement servants have YOU educated? From your comments you give the impression that you are omnipotent in all things concerning open carry of firearms in Mississippi.

Georg, has the Mississippi State Supreme Court asked for your learned opinions on open carry? Has the Mississippi Attorney-General sought your advice and counsel?

Georg, why don't you just give it a rest and let us law abiding Mississippians follow the law today and on July 1 without your incessant pontifications?

likestotrade

We all know the conceal carry is regulated by the government open carry is not but what are the rules on open carry meaning where can u not open carry a fireearm besides places that are marked no guns.

BuckNekkid

I agree 100% and I have to believe that when a state law is changed so dramatically LEO's across the state receive at least a briefing, or a summarized familiarization course on the change. MyGlock, is that consistent with your experience as an LEO, or that being to optimistic? Local rumor is that the Gulfport PD plans to stop every open carrier to "make sure the weapon isn't stolen." I can hear it now: "That gun's not stolen, is it? Mind if I check it?"

Sounds like a ruse to make open carry so inconvenient few will bother.

Eeyore

MyGlockisaRedneck0

LE Response To Open Carry

The open carry situation is such a gray area for interpretation that common sense would demand clarification from the Attorney-General and/or the MHP. However, I must remind myself that this is Mississippi and the lack of common sense is what brought us the concealed "idea" to deny us open carry in the first place!

When I was with the JPD, there was the position of Legal Advisor, who was Charley Head. Charley would have meetings at the William Louis Skinner Training Center to advise us on new laws or changes that had been made to existing laws which he felt that we needed to know.

I sincerely hope that such clarification meetings by the A-G/MHP are held and soon.

Daylen

A clarification is not an abrupt or dramatic change. HB2 simply clarified the law in line with the constitution and Attorney General's opinions; those before that jerk Hood. Why is it so hard to understand that if there is no law making something illegal, it is de facto legal.

BuckNekkid

I certainly agree that it is a small clarification. I do believe, however, that the effect might be rather dramatic, given that we have a population of citiznes and LEO's that have known nothing but the unconstitutional regulation of open carry. There have been darn few stories in the news to make the sheeple aware of the coming change, and so I hope LEO's are getting at least a briefing.

Daylen

I certainly agree that it is a small clarification. I do believe, however, that the effect might be rather dramatic, given that we have a population of citiznes and LEO's that have known nothing but the unconstitutional regulation of open carry. There have been darn few stories in the news to make the sheeple aware of the coming change, and so I hope LEO's are getting at least a briefing.

Um don't you mean the unconstitutional opinion by Hood? That was only a transom cover for about 6 months for any cops who wanted to be abusive. Its not like the flood gates are open on OC suddenly, people have been carrying without the need for a permission slip for some time now. Generally, no one cares. There have been some isolated incidents of harassment in small towns, but that is another subject.

BuckNekkid

Um don't you mean the unconstitutional opinion by Hood?

Characterize it as you will, it drove policy. When I was applying for my permit years ago, I was admonished in no uncertain terms by the DPS officer in Biloxi to ensure "that my weapon remained completely concealed at all times."

I hope you are right about minimum affect, but I suspect that is won't be a bowl of cherries in practice. The more rabid OC supporters and certain LEO's will both be out to see whose sack hangs lower unless higher authority has schooled at least the officers. Certainly few have schooled the general public.

MSRebel54

I had a short conversation with a Lt. in the city PD. He told me that all shifts and divisions have had and were having meetings with the patrol officers concerning July 1st and the changes to 97-37-1. They were making sure that all the officers knew that openly carrying a holstered firearm was not illegal, and that they could not and should not do anything about it, if that's all the complaint is. They will of course respond if a complaint is received, but I imagine from the way he talked, they would only end up explaining to the complainant that the person is doing nothing wrong or illegal.

The only concern he said, that had been expressed (I'm assuming in those meetings) was that if the bad guys figure out they can openly carry in a holster and the cops will not approach them, it could end up ruining it for the rest of us. (read: legislature changes the law again next year by some fancy wordsmithing). I said although that's a legitimate concern, I didn't think it would be much of a problem. I hadn't heard of it being a major problem in any other OC state. Besides bad guys don't want you to know they have a gun, until they pull it on you.

Well, at least my PD is educating their patrol officers, and setting policy on what to do and not to do. That's more than I can say for a lot of PD's.

I'll be paying close attention to the local media post July 1.

MyGlockisaRedneck0

City Attorney

The wife and I met with our attorney today to discuss a matter. As we were leaving, I asked him about OC on July 1. Our attorney is also the City Attorney where we live.

He laughed and said that he was strapping on his gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, very seriously, he said that he was concerned about the general population not being informed on the dos and don't of OC. He hoped that guidance was being given to local PDs and also hoped that some information for the general population would be forthcoming. He was not aware of any discussion of OC and July 1 by our local PD!