• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland gun buy back sat may 11

DougB

Portland is having a gun buy back sat may 11th from 10am to 2pm at
Saturday, May 11, 201310 a.m. to 2 p.m.Lynwood Friends Church*835 SE 162nd Ave. (south of SE Stark)Portland hope to see all you there

Cremator75

I was just going to post this. Here are the find details.

OregonLive article is here: Gun turn-in scheduled in Southeast Portland this weekend | OregonLive.com

Highlights are:
Saturday, May 11, 2013
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lynwood Friends Church
835 SE 162nd Ave. (south of SE Stark)
Portland

Safeway or Fred Meyer cards in the value of:
Handguns: $100
Rifles and shotguns: $75
Assault weapons: $150
Magazines—capacity 50 and above: $25
Pellet and BB guns: $10

Last edited:

Lord Sega

Ya beat me to it...

Looking at Google maps (street view) it doesn't look like there is good parking near, but not on, the buyback site.
Also, nowhere to really set up a folding chair & table with signs.

I'm thinking... ask the neighbors across the street to rent their driveway for the 4 hours? ... Might work.

Can't be on the church's property I'm sure, and the sidewalk, while public property you really can't set up a table without "impeding" foot traffic.

Remember, it's Portland, so unloaded OC unless you have CHL, then OC or CC as you desire.

I'm gonna try to make it there, don't have much cash so I will have to be very selective.
Anyone else planning to go? If you live there... maybe do a recon for parking & public areas for set-up spots? Check with the neighbors to rent a spot?
Let us know...

Cremator75

Looks like plenty of street parking. No need for a table. Just stand on the sidewalk near the entrance holding your sign. That's how I've done it and never been bothered by the police. They actually gave me a friendly wave when coming or going.

DrakeZ07

So wait, if you had a 1400$ AR to turn in, they'd only give you a 150$ gift card? Or am I not reading that right? [Sorry to barge in on the thread]

DougB

There is a lot of parking on each side of the street. Just drove by and there is room on the sidewalk to have a table. Hope to see a lot of people there to buy some guns.

We-the-People

A few thoughts and ideas on this event

1) I would recommend that attendees coordinate to try to "discount" the amount offered for handguns due to paying CASH instead of the gift cards being offered by CeaseFire. If you can't, at least you tried.

2) I would suggest that those who are able to attend not enter "bidding wars" with other pro 2A buyers who appear to have a willing seller. It's counter to the whole goal of keeping as many guns as possible out of the hands of the anti's (and their smelters) by reducing the cash available to purchase other guns. Remember, while this is an opportunity to "score" some guns on the cheap, the strategic idea is to keep as many as possible out of those smelters.

3) Watch yourselves. At last year's event there were several "questionable" sellers and at least one trying to sell a handgun with the serial number obliterated. I wouldn't put it past "them" to try to run a sting though I don't think they would.

4) I find it interesting that they're only offering to "buy back" magazines with a capacity of 50+ rounds. I doubt this is a typo, the product of ignorance, etc. I can almost guarantee you that their thought is that many people will bring in 30 round magazines and they can say "we don't pay for 30 rounders but we'll take care of them for you". Knowing this, if you can inform a potential seller, you can probably pick up some "HiCap" magazines on the cheap cheap.

5) Putting a folding chair on the sidewalk would likely result in problems due to "impeding pedestrian flow" or some such rule. Best to be sure that there is no reason for police intervention.

6) I will be trying to arrange my school work so that I can attend but best of luck to any and all who are able.

skeith5

I highly agree with #2. Everyone I saw at the Seattle buyback was respectful and giving the first person up the first opportunity to buy. I didn't see any bidding wars.

Scott

Lord Sega

I'm 90% to be there...

Just a thought, even if you are not interested in the weapon and they are going to go get the gift card, let them know that the card is for the firearm...
We can buy the accessories and they will still get the card. I.e. scopes, mags, cases, etc.

I'm going to have some small tools for scope removal, just in case.

We-the-People

I'm 90% to be there...

Just a thought, even if you are not interested in the weapon and they are going to go get the gift card, let them know that the card is for the firearm...
We can buy the accessories and they will still get the card. I.e. scopes, mags, cases, etc.

I'm going to have some small tools for scope removal, just in case.

That's a real good point and they'd get more money total.

Lord Sega

Made it there...

... barely, almost overslept.

Drove up from the coast, got an ok parking spot just before 10am, but I heard they started a 1/2 hour early.
One person said his wait in line time was 2-3/4 hours, and that was after the first hour rush, when it had died down a little.

I planned to be selective, just looking for a couple of new items to take target shooting, but I guess I wasn't aggressive enough.
I didn't want to have a "used car salesman" approach, so with a nice bright multicolored sign, I just gave friendly nods & smiles and let them approach me.

This no work. Lots of buyers there looking to pick up anything that was more gun than rust.
In 4-1/2 hours (in the sun), I got first dibs on 2 guys for 4 guns total.

2 pistols: a well worn 1911 and a like new Jennings 9mm. I passed on the 1911, too worn and I wanted a more compact 9mm for carry, I already carry a full size Beretta 92FS.
The Jennings had a trigger lock on w/o key, so while he went to try to remove it, I Googled it since I had never heard of Jennings. Good that I did, multiple listings talk about it being a cheap pistol with a low value even new and that it has a design flaw that can cause discharge on drop and it can occasionally go full auto. Big pass, but he didn't return.

1 single shot shotgun, real good condition, but I'm not a shotgun guy, so I passed.

And an older level action rifle with an octagon barrel, good shape for the age and looked cool (I don't remember the caliber or make/model), he wanted $525, and sold it for $450 to someone else after I passed. Looking at it afterwards, looks like the barrel was chopped short (thus no front sight) and the rear sight was removed for a 4x scope.

The more aggressive buyers were getting to them first and really not being that selective... so they got quantity, but I'm not so sure on quality, and may have overpaid on some even at buyback discount prices.

Still, I had a good time there, plus a little sunburn and the start of heat stroke.
The people were fine, no pro / anti confrontations. LEOs were friendly from what I saw, no issues. Saw 1 camera crew there (Channel 6 I think).

All in all, a good day spent prior to surprise dropping in on mom to take her out for a Mother's Day dinner & returning home.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Glad you had a good time and made a few weapons safe from the smelter. Sounds like you had a quiet day, No rocket launchers?? No Street Sweepers?? I thought you could not have a buy back without Street Sweepers.

We-the-People

GF and I made it up from Medford. WAY more buyers than I expected but I used my "founding fathers" sign (fanned out 100's, 50's, and 20's) and "worked" it. Had a nice "interview" (just a talk) with officer Anderson of Portland PD who didn't even mind that my GF was filming. He mentioned that he was "surprised" that he didn't see any of the criminals he knew turning in their guns. Unfortunately, a technical error caused the tape to have only the first few seconds and the handshake as he left the area. ARRRRGH. I was OC my FN five-seven with 30 round extended mag and a 22 Jenning in my pocket (for turn in) and he wasn't the least concerned about my (or any of the 15 plus other) open carry.

"Competition" was tough and I saw a guy walk away with a pristine SKS complete with bayonet and a loaded mag for $125. Saw some nice revolvers and pistols that others picked up. As for me, early going was tough and I picked up two junker break action revolvers for $50 and took them and my Jennings from last years buyback and stood in the turn in line while OC my FN. No negative attitude was encountered by those turning in weapons nor by the guy going up and down the line for CeaseFire. They even offered water bottles to everyone including me.

After 30 minutes in line, with no shade, and having moved about 30 feet, I said "screw this".

I started handing out flyers for Open Carry, had a conversation with an "anti violence" gal and explained how I was also anti violence. A bit of that is on video. Surprisingly, when I stopped working so hard to find some deals, they just jumped out at me. In about 15 minutes I picked up a USA Model 1917 by Eddystone (30-06 Enfield manuf in Nov 1918 per the SerNo) from the wife of the late veteran who brought it home from WWII (and got her telling the story about its history on audio) AND a Remington 600 in 308 that is in excellent condition except for some damage to the finish on the stock.

Not long after that, I picked up a Wilkinson Arms Linda 9mm with a magazine. It cycles and seems to function cleanly, so I'll be test firing it and probably reselling that one.

I also picked up a Jennings 9mm (yes I know the warnings and problems with them but they are a decent gun if you understand the issues with them like that the firing pin is poised to strike and can do so if dropped). And I sold the Jennings 22 that I'd bought at last years buyback for a small profit to someone who "just didn't want to go home empty handed).

So I bought 6 (two for turn in's) and sold 1. Net on the day $360 spent.

I'll be putting up some video once I get it edited and will probably put up test fire video later. First order of business is to get all the SerNo's run to make sure everything's clear.

Last edited:

Lord Sega

Interesting... Ceasefire buyback an illegal gunshow?

While looking for articals about yesterday's buyback I found this: LINK

It talks about the Ceasefire Oregon's buyback being an illegal gun show according to ORS law.
NOTE: this is about the buyback, not the guys & gals doing private sales on public sidewalk property.

So...

1) Ceasefire Oregon states elsewhere that 485 firearms were exchanged for gift cards. So ORS 166.432 more than 25 firearms for transfer = gun show.
2) Did the transferor perform or have a gun dealer perform a background check of the recipient (ie the Portland Police)? Or complete the required form from ORS 166.441?
How does this apply to transferring a firearm to a group (Portland Police)? How do you background check a group, or do you background check the LEO that you hand the firearm over to?
3) Did Ceasefire Oregon prominently post the requirements of ORS 166.438? If not it's a Class A misdemeanor for Ceasefire Oregon buyback event organizers.

Makes you go Hmmmmm.....

Last edited:

We-the-People

I'm surprised they say they only took in 485 guns. They started half an hour early, ran at least half an hour late (for 5 hours of turn in time) with a line the entire time. ONLY 485 firearms?