• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mississippi Court House Lock boxes

Chap

I stopped by the Greenville, MS Court house today. There were signs on the exterior doors stating "No Firearms or you will be arrested" or something to that affect. Once inside the main door about 10 feet down the hall there is a metal detector and an officer from the Sheriffs department. I asked him - if I wanted to carry my firearm to the court house ( But before passing the metal detectors ) where would the lock boxes be to store my lawfully carried firearm. He pointed at the lock boxes behind me just left of the door when you enter the courthouse building. the boxes are before you pass the metal detectors. He stated that the boxes are only for law enforcement officers ONLY.

I asked who is in charge of the boxes, he said he was. He then said he wasn't going to let anyone use them that wasn't a law enforcement officer. I asked who his supervisor was and what department controlled the security of the court house? He stated the Sheriffs department but he was in charge of the boxes. I thanked him and said I would be looking into what the law says about lock boxes and possibly contacting the Sheriffs department to inquire about using the lock boxes. He said if I wanted to carry my firearm just leave it in the vehicle. I told him I do that now but might like to use the lock boxes in the future.

Oh by the way the Officer followed me out of the building and watched me get on my motorcycle and ride away. I gave him a smile and a waive as I passed. :D

I would like to use the lock boxes in the future if it's allowed by law, does anyone know where I might find guidance in the MS Code. Or is it not allowed? I tried to use the search function on the MS Code website but am not having much luck.

Last edited:

Chap

Is it safe to assume that you do not have the "IC" sticker on your Firearms Permit, or do you have a permit at all?

Yes I have a MS Firearms Permit but that shouldn't be an issue. I can't carry in the Courthouse. I was trying to address that by stating in my first post by saying that i was not attempting to enter the Courthouse past the metal detector but rather use the lock boxes at the door to stow my legally carried firearm.

I ride a motorcycle and taking off the firearm while standing in the parking lot next to the local jail ( which shares the same parking lot ) just seems crazy. Just my luck someone doesn't like me handling my firearm while standing in the parking lot next to my motorcycle or a convict in the parking lot breaks into my saddle bag to steal my pistol.

I can still leave my pistol at home or drive my truck, disarm in the truck & store the pistol in my truck's lock box. I have read other states have a requirement for courthouses to provide a lock box at courthouses. I was just wondering if MS was similar. I looked at the MS Court website with no luck - http://courts.ms.gov/rules/msrules.html

I was hoping someone on this forum might use a lock box in MS or know where it might be listed in a MS Code or Court guidance prior to calling the local Sheriffs department.

Last edited:

Chap

Forgot to mention that Yes I know the Endorsement states that I should be allowed to enter a Courthouse as long as I don't enter a Court room. I don't plan on getting the endorsement anytime soon. I don't go to the Courthouse often just to renew my vehicle tags.

This isn't a hot topic for me just curious since they have lock boxes at the courthouse why can't I use them? As I stated earlier I've read this topic in other state threads.

georg jetson

I can appreciate your interest in the lock boxes. What if you walked to court? There is no requirement to have a DL to carry a firearm.

Any place that becomes a free victim zone should be required to supply suitable security for weapons while business is attended to.

Chap

This is why they have the lock boxes, so Police officers can store their weapons while on the stand. I haven't called the local Sheriff yet, he may agree with me if I ask. I was hoping to find something in writing which I could provide the Sheriff if he disagrees with me.

I'm still looking around and holding out hope someone will know where it might be listed. That a legally armed person having business to conduct in the building which has courtrooms as well as the vehicle registration & Tag renewal can use the lock boxes.

UNIFORM CHANCERY COURT RULES - http://courts.ms.gov/rules/msrulesofcourt/uniform_chancery_rules.pdf

RULE 3.08 FIREARMS PROHIBITED ON THE WITNESS STAND OR IN COURTROOM

No person other than law enforcement officers shall take or carry firearms or other
weapons into the courtroom. When law enforcement officers take the stand as litigants or
witnesses, such officers shall remove their firearms and place same in the possession of
the bailiff until the witness or litigant has left the witness stand.

MyGlockisaRedneck0

I can appreciate your interest in the lock boxes. What if you walked to court? There is no requirement to have a DL to carry a firearm.

Any place that becomes a free victim zone should be required to supply suitable security for weapons while business is attended to.

Just like your comments regarding "concealed"carry and "open" carry, YOUR OPINION does not count for much. Of course in this instance I agree with you that if the sheriff of the county or even a county judge, like when a Hinds County Judge with the cooperation of Sheriff McMillan, tried to make MHP Troopers remove their weapons when they entered the Jackson Hinds County Courthouse to turn in traffic citations to the Justice Court Administrator's Office, there SHOULD be a place to safely secure the weapon until you leave the courthouse.

OBTW, MHP Troopers started delivering all their tickets to the Raymond Courthouse and the order in Jackson was rescinded when all the bother to transport them to Jackson fell to the sheriff's office!