• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sks

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, that sucks. Sorry for getting your hopes up Afragu. :(

If this is the case then wouldn't the Mini 14 be a "copy or duplicate" of the Mini 14-F?

Such crap.

don't worry, only will suck for a little bit because:

a) the law will be sticken due to an improper e-cert
b) the law will be stricken due to improper process by the task force committee that produced it
c) the law's AWB/Mag bans will be stricken in their entirety due to the now 2nd amendment incorporation (these are all popular guns in the USA, hence not unusual (like blackjacks, brass knuckles, sawed off shotguns))

Of course I have not drunk from the same wells that most of the judiciary in CT lol

brk913

Again. I believe this was clearly an oversight and I don't think they intended to add the SKS to the AWB but because of the particular wording it leaves it open that the law could be interpreted to include the SKS, which honestly is another reason to add to the lawsuits, they don't even know how to properly classify these guns. Of course I should admit that until this was brought up in another forum I never knew the Norinco SKS went by the proper name Norinco 56.....

To add, the person who tried to buy the SKS has been informed by the DESPP that they will not authorize the transfer on the Norinco 56 (SKS) - if they follow this interpretation and the law as written that effectively makes all SKSs assault weapons....

brk913

Latest update on this from the guy who could not buy the SKS:

seems all SKS are legal now. My FFL dealer called me and told me he got written confirmation from D'Amato that all SKS are legal. Seems Detective Madsen who is the Senior Officer at DESP or whatever was the wrench in the works and telling everyone it was banned, so they had a specific meeting on the issue. Norinco 56 is AK variant, not SKS. Had the law wanted to ban SKS, they would've mentioned SKS by name, not ban by country of origin only. I know, I know, we already knew this and it was stupid from the get go.... but its nice to get confirmation and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Unless they change their minds again.

So buy them now before they change their mind again!!!!

Rich B

Latest update on this from the guy who could not buy the SKS:

seems all SKS are legal now. My FFL dealer called me and told me he got written confirmation from D'Amato that all SKS are legal. Seems Detective Madsen who is the Senior Officer at DESP or whatever was the wrench in the works and telling everyone it was banned, so they had a specific meeting on the issue. Norinco 56 is AK variant, not SKS. Had the law wanted to ban SKS, they would've mentioned SKS by name, not ban by country of origin only. I know, I know, we already knew this and it was stupid from the get go.... but its nice to get confirmation and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Unless they change their minds again.

So buy them now before they change their mind again!!!!

Get the written confirmation. We will post it.

Afragu

The sks question is a muddy one -- like almost everything else in the act. Written by idiots to be interpreted by more idiots.

ok so how about the spikes tactical rifle,from what I've read its not mention by name in the new law.is it a duplicate or a copy ?:confused:

davidmcbeth

Banned
ok so how about the spikes tactical rifle,from what I've read its not mention by name in the new law.is it a duplicate or a copy ?:confused:

Well, I did call and email DESPP, our state legislature, and the governor's office up asking about such firearms.

I asked 1) if I could buy the guns on the banned list so I can check and see if a gun has similar capabilities (no responses at all from anyone) 2) what does a copy or duplicate mean ~ 80% similar parts, 90%, ??? (I did receive a response from the governor's office ~ saying to exam the parts list but when I told him that Colt, etc. would not tell me if another brand is a copy or would give me their manufacturing QC specs due to trade secret concerns, he went mum after that -- others, no response).

The courts will think that you have knowledge of everything but a judge will not say "I understand the 2nd amendment"

The banned guns are all unbanned by the 2nd amendment which CT has refused to recognize. I pay no attention to the banned gun list.

forhumans

Bumping this thread because a buddy was told by a gun shop that they wouldn't let a gunbroker seller send an SKS to them because it has a bayonet lug...

Are they crazy or am I missing something?

Could this be because they sell "detachable" mags for the rifle? That would really be a stretch....

davidmcbeth

Banned
Bumping this thread because a buddy was told by a gun shop that they wouldn't let a gunbroker seller send an SKS to them because it has a bayonet lug...

Are they crazy or am I missing something?

Could this be because they sell "detachable" mags for the rifle? That would really be a stretch....

are you asking us to post the law .... its PA13-3 , on the website of the legislature ... any specific ? about a specific section of the act, post back

forhumans

I'm simply asking if anybody knows what they're smoking.

Assuming [red text in brackets] means redacted,the new law removed bayonet mounts from the ban list altogether.

brk913

You are correct the evil bayonet lug has been removed from the list of "deadly features"....SKS with fixed mag is legal (think it needs to be 10 or under but that is a different issue)...