• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Buyback guns being melted into "Peace Bricks"

Dave Workman

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/cf598b23d25e44bfbe7d57975ee17774/WA--Seattle-Gun-Buyback

SEATTLE — The Seattle Police Department collected more than 700 guns during a buyback in January, and now city officials have a plan for what to do with them.
Mayor Mike McGinn is expected to announce Tuesday that they'll be melted into bricks carrying messages of peace, and the bricks will be placed around the city.

I didn't see your thread, Bill.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114191-Seattle-to-melt-buyback-guns-for-plaques

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Peace Brick....

tumblr_mi32sqLppd1qa5pb1o1_1280.jpg

JoeSparky

Centurion
I know you meant well, but more laws as Nick pointed out won't solve it. What will help is the dismantling of laws (malum prohibitum ones).

It's on my face might be on the Libertarian Website soon.

I agree with you as far as the laws limit or restrict the people but in this case the proposal is to increase the restrictions on the government. I don't see this as a problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I am not so sure your example is so innocuous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h8vVkITmnA

Yes I have a few other examples of cops abusing J walkers, I meant the J walking was innocuous not the actions of the cops. Sad isn't it.

I agree with you as far as the laws limit or restrict the people but in this case the proposal is to increase the restrictions on the government. I don't see this as a problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We wouldn't need more laws against government if we erased the ones they used against us. We already have the constitution on a federal and a state level....The right to bear arms, and the right to be left alone is fairly explicit in them.

I do wonder to bring this back to topic, whose money are they using to make these bricks?

Trigger Dr

Da Mare oope Mayor will have a contest for the children in Seattle schools, to write an essay. The winners will have their words on the plaques.
Here is the link
http://www.seattle.gov/weaponstowords/

Pay close attention to rule #6 if you say something like " I think every one should have a gun...etc..."

davidmcbeth

Banned
Da Mare oope Mayor will have a contest for the children in Seattle schools, to write an essay. The winners will have their words on the plaques.
Here is the link
http://www.seattle.gov/weaponstowords/

Pay close attention to rule #6 if you say something like " I think every one should have a gun...etc..."

Go ahead and make a submission .... do it right on the webpage ...

tombrewster421

No we should NOT pass anymore laws.

The people turned them in, they are foolish. Now the guns are possessed by the state, let them do what they may. Electing different politicians is the correct answer. A reduction in certain firearms only adds value to collectors.

I thought there already was a law that said the city was required to sell them.

Difdi

What's really crazy is that next year the anarchists will probably hurl these "peace bricks" through store windows, at cars or at police.

Or, just to get the Mayor's goat, someone should use one as raw materials for making a new gun...maybe engrave it and give it to him as a gift.

LarryM

Liberalism TRULY is a mental disorder....

The stench of Unicorn and Fluffi Bunni farts in Seattle must be overwhelming at times....

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I thought there already was a law that said the city was required to sell them.

I believe it only applies to those firearms confiscated or forfeiture. I am not sure you can get the wording of 9.41.098 to cover purchased/traded firearms that come under government control.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.098

(1) The superior courts and the courts of limited jurisdiction of the state may order forfeiture of a firearm which is proven to be:
(2) Upon order of forfeiture, the court in its discretion may order destruction of any forfeited firearm. A court may temporarily retain forfeited firearms needed for evidence.
(3) The court shall order the firearm returned to the owner upon a showing that there is no probable cause to believe a violation of subsection (1) of this section existed or the firearm was stolen from the owner or the owner neither had knowledge of nor consented to the act or omission involving the firearm which resulted in its forfeiture.
(4) A law enforcement officer of the state or of any county or municipality may confiscate a firearm found to be in the possession of a person under circumstances specified in subsection (1) of this section. After confiscation, the firearm shall not be surrendered except: (a) To the prosecuting attorney for use in subsequent legal proceedings; (b) for disposition according to an order of a court having jurisdiction as provided in subsection (1) of this section; or (c) to the owner if the proceedings are dismissed or as directed in subsection (3) of this section.

deanf

it effects the taxpayers as a whole, it means the city paid money for potentially valuable assets and then decided to sit on them and then destroy them. the city should have an obligation to be good stewards of the taxpayer's money, and if they won't do it themselves, then make 'em do it...

It's called Fiduciary Responsibility.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Guns slated to be peace bricks already destroyed

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/se...ready-destroyed-206813141.html?c=n&fb=y&can=n

King 5 said:
SEATTLE -- A breakdown in communication between the City of Seattle and the Seattle Police Department has led to a meltdown.

On Tuesday, Mayor Mike McGinn announced that more than 700 guns collected during a buyback in January by the Seattle Police Department would be melted down to make plaques. The program would be called "Weapons to Words."

"After they're melted down, we're asking school children what we should put on these plaques," he said.

But according to Seattle Police, miscommunication led to the weapons being melted down in early April.

Tackleberry1

Heard on the Radio this Morning that Seattle's Mayoral "Peace Brick" comment was a lie.

They've already been melted down... supposedly into "re-bar".

Not sure how they'd know that either? My firm sells a lot of copper to the recyclers... we get paid by the pound... and the folks buying it have NO IDEA what it may wind up being used for in it's next life...

Tack

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Macgrimm had already been notified the weapons were destroyed when he did his "press release". He knew, but lied anyway "to make the public feel better". So, his policy is to lie to the public if it will make them "feel better"?? Hey now, that sounds like chicago politics.

Difdi

I wonder, could we get copies of the Mayor's speeches, compress them down, and call them Integrity Bricks?

I wonder if he'd understand he'd been insulted?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Macgrimm had already been notified the weapons were destroyed when he did his "press release". He knew, but lied anyway "to make the public feel better". So, his policy is to lie to the public if it will make them "feel better"?? Hey now, that sounds like chicago politics.

everyone should call his home and ask where you can get the peace bricks ... when they say that there are none then you can retort "no peace w/o peace bricks!"