Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: Boy's encounter with Las Vegas cop becomes viral video smash

  1. #1
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274

    Thumbs up Boy's encounter with Las Vegas cop becomes viral video smash

    Jeremy Drew, 12, is seen questioning an unidentified Las Vegas Police Department officer who had apparently illegally parked his motorcycle on a sidewalk after purchasing a soft drink.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/07...l-video-smash/
    Another teachable moment conducted by a LEO.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Good on the boy!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    I defy the kid to find one person... cop or citizen, who hasn't parked illegally at some point or another.....

    I admire the kid's gumption.... but his chosen issue is really a non-issue
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    So what is his badge # ?

    usually I get the badge # from the imprint on my forehead ... I liked it better in the old days ... ya get caught doing something wrong, a few clunks on the head or ribs and off you go ..
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I defy the kid to find one person... cop or citizen, who hasn't parked illegally at some point or another.....

    I admire the kid's gumption.... but his chosen issue is really a non-issue
    I don't think parking illegally is the issue....think broader man.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I defy the kid to find one person... cop or citizen, who hasn't parked illegally at some point or another.....

    I admire the kid's gumption.... but his chosen issue is really a non-issue
    A citizen would have been issued a ticket for doing the same thing. If we can't hold LEO accountable to the laws they enforce, then what's the ******* point? This is a much deeper issue called entitlement. LEO think they can do whatever they want because they have a badge. Whether it's parking illegally, using excessive force against non violent suspects, opening fire on innocent motorists in vehicles because they have the same kind of vehicle as a fugitive, making up their own laws to arrest LAC's, or outright killing people that assert their rights. When you dismiss the small stuff as irrelevant sooner or later you find yourself smack dab in our current culture of everyone overlooking the crimes our LEO commit against the citizens each and every day. Congratulations to this 12 year old standing up to one of these pricks who put himself above other citizens and above the law.

  7. #7
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    A citizen would have been issued a ticket for doing the same thing. If we can't hold LEO accountable to the laws they enforce, then what's the ******* point? This is a much deeper issue called entitlement. LEO think they can do whatever they want because they have a badge. Whether it's parking illegally, using excessive force against non violent suspects, opening fire on innocent motorists in vehicles because they have the same kind of vehicle as a fugitive, making up their own laws to arrest LAC's, or outright killing people that assert their rights. When you dismiss the small stuff as irrelevant sooner or later you find yourself smack dab in our current culture of everyone overlooking the crimes our LEO commit against the citizens each and every day. Congratulations to this 12 year old standing up to one of these pricks who put himself above other citizens and above the law.
    have to agree. this was not a civilian, but a paid employee charged with up holding the law. he is to be held to a strict standard
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  8. #8
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    A citizen would have been issued a ticket for doing the same thing. If we can't hold LEO accountable to the laws they enforce, then what's the ******* point? This is a much deeper issue called entitlement. LEO think they can do whatever they want because they have a badge. Whether it's parking illegally, using excessive force against non violent suspects, opening fire on innocent motorists in vehicles because they have the same kind of vehicle as a fugitive, making up their own laws to arrest LAC's, or outright killing people that assert their rights. When you dismiss the small stuff as irrelevant sooner or later you find yourself smack dab in our current culture of everyone overlooking the crimes our LEO commit against the citizens each and every day. Congratulations to this 12 year old standing up to one of these pricks who put himself above other citizens and above the law.
    And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught.

    Held to a stricter standard does not mean wield the hammer down hard over a 20 dollar offense. Little rules are bent all the time....

    Fr that matter is it even illegal.... We had this debate in the New Hampshire forum and the New Hampshire RSAs allow a police officer to park in no parking Zoe's while on duty with no mention at all of responding to a call. If a cop stops to buy a bottle of water or soda on a hot day, and I call them for an emergency, I don't want to wait fr the nearest officer to sprint 10 blocks to their vehicle, that makes no sense. Officers don't get lunch breaks and rest breaks in th same way you and I do at a private employer...

    Also many police vehicles, including motors, have hundreds of dollars of taxpayer provided equipment on and in them... it makes perfect sense to me if the "no park" zone happened to be the best place to leave the motor where he could see it while doing his business. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a cop to park in a no park zone, and most likely the no park zone doesn't apply to cops anyway...
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 05-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught.

    Held to a stricter standard does not mean wield the hammer down hard over a 20 dollar offense. Little rules are bent all the time....

    Fr that matter is it even illegal.... We had this debate in the New Hampshire forum and the New Hampshire RSAs allow a police officer to park in no parking Zoe's while on duty with no mention at all of responding to a call. If a cop stops to buy a bottle of water or soda on a hot day, and I call them for an emergency, I don't want to wait fr the nearest officer to sprint 10 blocks to their vehicle, that makes no sense. Officers don't get lunch breaks and rest breaks in th same way you and I do at a private employer...

    Also many police vehicles, including motors, have hundreds of dollars of taxpayer provided equipment on and in them... it makes perfect sense to me if the "no park" zone happened to be the best place to leave the motor where he could see it while doing his business. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a cop to park in a no park zone, and most likely the no park zone doesn't apply to cops anyway...
    Was it illegal? I don't know, everywhere is different. Many places only allow LEO to park in no parking zones during an emergency, some allow them to use the zones at any time. If it is illegal, and it's not worth it to enforce it on everyone, it's not worth it to force it on ANYONE. I think "wielding the hammer down hard" is a bit much. I don't think a 12 year old can do this, but the fact remains that if a law is being broken, even if it's a minor law, and even if it's an LEO, they should be forced to move their car or receive the fine. When you start allowing certain people to get away with small things, they move on to getting away with bigger and bigger things. Cops are now getting away with MURDER, and it's probably all began with one of these minor rules being broken and disregarded.

  10. #10
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    Was it illegal? I don't know, everywhere is different. Many places only allow LEO to park in no parking zones during an emergency, some allow them to use the zones at any time. If it is illegal, and it's not worth it to enforce it on everyone, it's not worth it to force it on ANYONE. I think "wielding the hammer down hard" is a bit much. I don't think a 12 year old can do this, but the fact remains that if a law is being broken, even if it's a minor law, and even if it's an LEO, they should be forced to move their car or receive the fine. When you start allowing certain people to get away with small things, they move on to getting away with bigger and bigger things. Cops are now getting away with MURDER, and it's probably all began with one of these minor rules being broken and disregarded.
    That's the most ridicolous damn thing I've ever heard....

    if parking offenses led to murder then there would be no one left on this planet....
    occassionally, people, including cops, commit murder. and occasionally, they get away with it. sometimes the "murder" was actually a justified killing that was overhyped by the media or by an aggressive family member... if a gang member gets shot in front of his gang member buddies of course they're all going to say "murder"

    however, parking is not a gateway offense to murder....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught....
    Most cops and families and close friends of cops around here have a license plate frame that has a code (cop radio frequency) that identifies them as "special" to other cops. Google "KOM 674" "Las Vegas".
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I defy the kid to find one person... cop or citizen, who hasn't parked illegally at some point or another.....

    I admire the kid's gumption.... but his chosen issue is really a non-issue
    Do you see an issue with the cop driving away after arguing with the boy who requested his badge number?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    have to agree. this was not a civilian, but a paid employee charged with up holding the law. he is to be held to a strict standard
    ROFL .... now THAT'S a good one ...

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught.

    Held to a stricter standard does not mean wield the hammer down hard over a 20 dollar offense. Little rules are bent all the time....

    Fr that matter is it even illegal.... We had this debate in the New Hampshire forum and the New Hampshire RSAs allow a police officer to park in no parking Zoe's while on duty with no mention at all of responding to a call. If a cop stops to buy a bottle of water or soda on a hot day, and I call them for an emergency, I don't want to wait fr the nearest officer to sprint 10 blocks to their vehicle, that makes no sense. Officers don't get lunch breaks and rest breaks in th same way you and I do at a private employer...

    Also many police vehicles, including motors, have hundreds of dollars of taxpayer provided equipment on and in them... it makes perfect sense to me if the "no park" zone happened to be the best place to leave the motor where he could see it while doing his business. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a cop to park in a no park zone, and most likely the no park zone doesn't apply to cops anyway...
    same issues with red light cameras ... they just tear them up .... NJ was latest to be highlighted ... even after public disgust, situation is the same.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    That's the most ridicolous damn thing I've ever heard....

    if parking offenses led to murder then there would be no one left on this planet....
    occassionally, people, including cops, commit murder. and occasionally, they get away with it. sometimes the "murder" was actually a justified killing that was overhyped by the media or by an aggressive family member... if a gang member gets shot in front of his gang member buddies of course they're all going to say "murder"

    however, parking is not a gateway offense to murder....
    It all plays the same role in the feeling of superiority and entitlement. I didn't say it was specifically tied to a parking violation, frankly because it started way before parking violations were even part of society. My point is that it likely started somewhere, and it probably started with a minor infraction being overlooked and gained ground from there. What about the Cali cops that shot those women in their car because it matched the description of Dorners vehicle? Sure they got sued and lost big time...but as it usually goes it's probably going to be the taxpayers paying the settlement, not the individual cops, and I haven't seen where they have lost their jobs. Or how about the many, many times cops now use tasers against people who don't conform to their commands (i.e. people exercising their legal rights as an American citizen)? Those are looked over all the time.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Lasjayhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    That's the most ridicolous damn thing I've ever heard....

    if parking offenses led to murder then there would be no one left on this planet....
    occassionally, people, including cops, commit murder. and occasionally, they get away with it. sometimes the "murder" was actually a justified killing that was overhyped by the media or by an aggressive family member... if a gang member gets shot in front of his gang member buddies of course they're all going to say "murder"

    however, parking is not a gateway offense to murder....
    Maybe a gateway to other traffic offenses?

    We had an NHP officer take out a family on I 15, he was going 110+ no lights or siren....he was late for dinner or some other BS.
    Had a Metro officer plaster some guy, the cop was running something like 90 at 4am no lights or siren, but he was responding to a call.
    I dang near had a wreck a few weeks ago, a Metro officer used his turn signal. Scared the crud out of me.

    And I'm pretty sure the cop HAS to give the person his badge # juvenile or not. Ant threatening the kid with loitering isn't very classy either.
    I stopped stocking for the zombie apocalypse. I now stock for the liberal apocalypse.

  17. #17
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasjayhawk View Post
    Maybe a gateway to other traffic offenses?

    We had an NHP officer take out a family on I 15, he was going 110+ no lights or siren....he was late for dinner or some other BS.
    Had a Metro officer plaster some guy, the cop was running something like 90 at 4am no lights or siren, but he was responding to a call.
    I dang near had a wreck a few weeks ago, a Metro officer used his turn signal. Scared the crud out of me.

    And I'm pretty sure the cop HAS to give the person his badge # juvenile or not. Ant threatening the kid with loitering isn't very classy either.
    did he threaten the kid with loitering?

    my sound system on the computer ain't that great, I heard him mumble something... but didn't hear that...

    now if the officer threatened the kid with a charge then yes he should've given the badge number...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  18. #18
    Regular Member Lasjayhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    294
    He ask the kid if he was loitering.

    We had some issues with the Marshall's parking in fire lanes when they had no business doing so, that got some TV coverage, and a promise they wont do it anymore.

    IMHO: These are the kind of things the LEO's should set a good example. Every now and then I hear about a juvenile getting a ticket for riding his bike across the street in a crosswalk instead of walking it across. But I see METRO bicycle officers do it all the time.
    I stopped stocking for the zombie apocalypse. I now stock for the liberal apocalypse.

  19. #19
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Boy's encounter with Las Vegas cop becomes viral video smash

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    did he threaten the kid with loitering?

    my sound system on the computer ain't that great, I heard him mumble something... but didn't hear that...

    now if the officer threatened the kid with a charge then yes he should've given the badge number...
    I haven't listened to the whole thing but in response to the kid's query as to why the LEO was parks on the sidewalk the officer mumbled "because I can" as he leaned over the back if the bike.
    Classic example of someone who needs to be reminded he us not God or King!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  20. #20
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    For all those who don't understand the automatic distrust of cops held by some of us, read the comments about this on policeone.com.

    http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...legal-parking/

    The policemen for the most part think they should never be questioned, especially by a kid.

    ETA: It's not the parking that bothers me nearly as much as the attitude. From the link:

    The officer replies, "Cause I can," prompting the boy to ask for his badge number.

    "What are you, a junior lawyer?" the cop asks, preparing to get on his motorcycle.

    The boy again asks for the officer’s badge number, and the officer drives off.
    Last edited by ron73440; 05-08-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: clarification
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Yeah, it's likely the entitlement mentality drilled into police officers, but ...

    This would have been an excellent time to explain to the young'un the need to have the bike nearby, with eyes on, and why. A "teachable moment", so to speak. The error, in my opinion, is the attitude, not the action.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Yeah, it's likely the entitlement mentality drilled into police officers, but ...

    This would have been an excellent time to explain to the young'un the need to have the bike nearby, with eyes on, and why. A "teachable moment", so to speak. The error, in my opinion, is the attitude, not the action.
    So it would have been better to teach the kid why it's legal for him to break the law? Yeah, no. We already have too many sheep in this country that don't mind when cops break the laws they swore to uphold, let's not go teaching this kid the opposite of what he already knows, which is cops are bound by the same laws as the citizens unless specifically exempted (which is still usually bs, but at least they would be following the law if exempted).

  23. #23
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Yeah, it's likely the entitlement mentality drilled into police officers, but ...

    This would have been an excellent time to explain to the young'un the need to have the bike nearby, with eyes on, and why. A "teachable moment", so to speak. The error, in my opinion, is the attitude, not the action.
    That, your, logic dictates that cops not walk into a restaurant to have lunch.

    I wonder what cops do when they leave their cruiser or cycle parked outside the Walmart and go inside to service a call.

    Nitwittery abounds it seems.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  24. #24
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Officer Stensgaard in Oregon had to pay a parking ticket after a non officer issued him a ticket.........

    If you need to be so near your car, here's an idea, pack a lunch.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    How is it that this officer has not been identified???

    LV members, and I know there are a lot of you, find out who this cop is! Better yet, once you know who he is, go to the LVPD and demand accountability, both for the officer's parking and his failure to identify himself when this 12-year-old had articulated reasonable suspicion that the officer was breaking the law!
    Last edited by eye95; 05-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •