• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boy's encounter with Las Vegas cop becomes viral video smash

EMNofSeattle

I defy the kid to find one person... cop or citizen, who hasn't parked illegally at some point or another.....

I admire the kid's gumption.... but his chosen issue is really a non-issue

davidmcbeth

Banned
So what is his badge # ?

usually I get the badge # from the imprint on my forehead ... I liked it better in the old days ... ya get caught doing something wrong, a few clunks on the head or ribs and off you go ..

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

I defy the kid to find one person... cop or citizen, who hasn't parked illegally at some point or another.....

A citizen would have been issued a ticket for doing the same thing. If we can't hold LEO accountable to the laws they enforce, then what's the ******* point? This is a much deeper issue called entitlement. LEO think they can do whatever they want because they have a badge. Whether it's parking illegally, using excessive force against non violent suspects, opening fire on innocent motorists in vehicles because they have the same kind of vehicle as a fugitive, making up their own laws to arrest LAC's, or outright killing people that assert their rights. When you dismiss the small stuff as irrelevant sooner or later you find yourself smack dab in our current culture of everyone overlooking the crimes our LEO commit against the citizens each and every day. Congratulations to this 12 year old standing up to one of these pricks who put himself above other citizens and above the law.

papa bear

A citizen would have been issued a ticket for doing the same thing. If we can't hold LEO accountable to the laws they enforce, then what's the ******* point? This is a much deeper issue called entitlement. LEO think they can do whatever they want because they have a badge. Whether it's parking illegally, using excessive force against non violent suspects, opening fire on innocent motorists in vehicles because they have the same kind of vehicle as a fugitive, making up their own laws to arrest LAC's, or outright killing people that assert their rights. When you dismiss the small stuff as irrelevant sooner or later you find yourself smack dab in our current culture of everyone overlooking the crimes our LEO commit against the citizens each and every day. Congratulations to this 12 year old standing up to one of these pricks who put himself above other citizens and above the law.

have to agree. this was not a civilian, but a paid employee charged with up holding the law. he is to be held to a strict standard

EMNofSeattle

And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught.

Held to a stricter standard does not mean wield the hammer down hard over a 20 dollar offense. Little rules are bent all the time....

Fr that matter is it even illegal.... We had this debate in the New Hampshire forum and the New Hampshire RSAs allow a police officer to park in no parking Zoe's while on duty with no mention at all of responding to a call. If a cop stops to buy a bottle of water or soda on a hot day, and I call them for an emergency, I don't want to wait fr the nearest officer to sprint 10 blocks to their vehicle, that makes no sense. Officers don't get lunch breaks and rest breaks in th same way you and I do at a private employer...

Also many police vehicles, including motors, have hundreds of dollars of taxpayer provided equipment on and in them... it makes perfect sense to me if the "no park" zone happened to be the best place to leave the motor where he could see it while doing his business. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a cop to park in a no park zone, and most likely the no park zone doesn't apply to cops anyway...

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught.

Held to a stricter standard does not mean wield the hammer down hard over a 20 dollar offense. Little rules are bent all the time....

Fr that matter is it even illegal.... We had this debate in the New Hampshire forum and the New Hampshire RSAs allow a police officer to park in no parking Zoe's while on duty with no mention at all of responding to a call. If a cop stops to buy a bottle of water or soda on a hot day, and I call them for an emergency, I don't want to wait fr the nearest officer to sprint 10 blocks to their vehicle, that makes no sense. Officers don't get lunch breaks and rest breaks in th same way you and I do at a private employer...

Also many police vehicles, including motors, have hundreds of dollars of taxpayer provided equipment on and in them... it makes perfect sense to me if the "no park" zone happened to be the best place to leave the motor where he could see it while doing his business. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a cop to park in a no park zone, and most likely the no park zone doesn't apply to cops anyway...

Was it illegal? I don't know, everywhere is different. Many places only allow LEO to park in no parking zones during an emergency, some allow them to use the zones at any time. If it is illegal, and it's not worth it to enforce it on everyone, it's not worth it to force it on ANYONE. I think "wielding the hammer down hard" is a bit much. I don't think a 12 year old can do this, but the fact remains that if a law is being broken, even if it's a minor law, and even if it's an LEO, they should be forced to move their car or receive the fine. When you start allowing certain people to get away with small things, they move on to getting away with bigger and bigger things. Cops are now getting away with MURDER, and it's probably all began with one of these minor rules being broken and disregarded.

EMNofSeattle

Was it illegal? I don't know, everywhere is different. Many places only allow LEO to park in no parking zones during an emergency, some allow them to use the zones at any time. If it is illegal, and it's not worth it to enforce it on everyone, it's not worth it to force it on ANYONE. I think "wielding the hammer down hard" is a bit much. I don't think a 12 year old can do this, but the fact remains that if a law is being broken, even if it's a minor law, and even if it's an LEO, they should be forced to move their car or receive the fine. When you start allowing certain people to get away with small things, they move on to getting away with bigger and bigger things. Cops are now getting away with MURDER, and it's probably all began with one of these minor rules being broken and disregarded.

That's the most ridicolous damn thing I've ever heard....

if parking offenses led to murder then there would be no one left on this planet....
occassionally, people, including cops, commit murder. and occasionally, they get away with it. sometimes the "murder" was actually a justified killing that was overhyped by the media or by an aggressive family member... if a gang member gets shot in front of his gang member buddies of course they're all going to say "murder"

however, parking is not a gateway offense to murder....

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught....

Most cops and families and close friends of cops around here have a license plate frame that has a code (cop radio frequency) that identifies them as "special" to other cops. Google "KOM 674" "Las Vegas".

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Do you see an issue with the cop driving away after arguing with the boy who requested his badge number?

davidmcbeth

Banned

same issues with red light cameras ... they just tear them up .... NJ was latest to be highlighted ... even after public disgust, situation is the same.

ADobbs1989

if parking offenses led to murder then there would be no one left on this planet....
occassionally, people, including cops, commit murder. and occasionally, they get away with it. sometimes the "murder" was actually a justified killing that was overhyped by the media or by an aggressive family member... if a gang member gets shot in front of his gang member buddies of course they're all going to say "murder"

It all plays the same role in the feeling of superiority and entitlement. I didn't say it was specifically tied to a parking violation, frankly because it started way before parking violations were even part of society. My point is that it likely started somewhere, and it probably started with a minor infraction being overlooked and gained ground from there. What about the Cali cops that shot those women in their car because it matched the description of Dorners vehicle? Sure they got sued and lost big time...but as it usually goes it's probably going to be the taxpayers paying the settlement, not the individual cops, and I haven't seen where they have lost their jobs. Or how about the many, many times cops now use tasers against people who don't conform to their commands (i.e. people exercising their legal rights as an American citizen)? Those are looked over all the time.

Lasjayhawk

Maybe a gateway to other traffic offenses?

We had an NHP officer take out a family on I 15, he was going 110+ no lights or siren....he was late for dinner or some other BS.
Had a Metro officer plaster some guy, the cop was running something like 90 at 4am no lights or siren, but he was responding to a call.
I dang near had a wreck a few weeks ago, a Metro officer used his turn signal. Scared the crud out of me.

And I'm pretty sure the cop HAS to give the person his badge # juvenile or not. Ant threatening the kid with loitering isn't very classy either.

EMNofSeattle

Maybe a gateway to other traffic offenses?

We had an NHP officer take out a family on I 15, he was going 110+ no lights or siren....he was late for dinner or some other BS.
Had a Metro officer plaster some guy, the cop was running something like 90 at 4am no lights or siren, but he was responding to a call.
I dang near had a wreck a few weeks ago, a Metro officer used his turn signal. Scared the crud out of me.

And I'm pretty sure the cop HAS to give the person his badge # juvenile or not. Ant threatening the kid with loitering isn't very classy either.

did he threaten the kid with loitering?

my sound system on the computer ain't that great, I heard him mumble something... but didn't hear that...

now if the officer threatened the kid with a charge then yes he should've given the badge number...

Lasjayhawk

He ask the kid if he was loitering.

We had some issues with the Marshall's parking in fire lanes when they had no business doing so, that got some TV coverage, and a promise they wont do it anymore.

IMHO: These are the kind of things the LEO's should set a good example. Every now and then I hear about a juvenile getting a ticket for riding his bike across the street in a crosswalk instead of walking it across. But I see METRO bicycle officers do it all the time.

JoeSparky

Centurion
did he threaten the kid with loitering?

my sound system on the computer ain't that great, I heard him mumble something... but didn't hear that...

now if the officer threatened the kid with a charge then yes he should've given the badge number...

I haven't listened to the whole thing but in response to the kid's query as to why the LEO was parks on the sidewalk the officer mumbled "because I can" as he leaned over the back if the bike.
Classic example of someone who needs to be reminded he us not God or King!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron73440

For all those who don't understand the automatic distrust of cops held by some of us, read the comments about this on policeone.com.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-iss...deo-Boy-12-confronts-cop-for-illegal-parking/

The policemen for the most part think they should never be questioned, especially by a kid.

ETA: It's not the parking that bothers me nearly as much as the attitude. From the link:

The officer replies, "Cause I can," prompting the boy to ask for his badge number.

"What are you, a junior lawyer?" the cop asks, preparing to get on his motorcycle.

The boy again asks for the officer’s badge number, and the officer drives off.

Last edited: