• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boy's encounter with Las Vegas cop becomes viral video smash

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Yeah, it's likely the entitlement mentality drilled into police officers, but ...

This would have been an excellent time to explain to the young'un the need to have the bike nearby, with eyes on, and why. A "teachable moment", so to speak. The error, in my opinion, is the attitude, not the action.

ADobbs1989

Yeah, it's likely the entitlement mentality drilled into police officers, but ...

This would have been an excellent time to explain to the young'un the need to have the bike nearby, with eyes on, and why. A "teachable moment", so to speak. The error, in my opinion, is the attitude, not the action.

So it would have been better to teach the kid why it's legal for him to break the law? Yeah, no. We already have too many sheep in this country that don't mind when cops break the laws they swore to uphold, let's not go teaching this kid the opposite of what he already knows, which is cops are bound by the same laws as the citizens unless specifically exempted (which is still usually bs, but at least they would be following the law if exempted).

OC for ME

That, your, logic dictates that cops not walk into a restaurant to have lunch.

I wonder what cops do when they leave their cruiser or cycle parked outside the Walmart and go inside to service a call.

Nitwittery abounds it seems.

sudden valley gunner

Officer Stensgaard in Oregon had to pay a parking ticket after a non officer issued him a ticket.........;)

If you need to be so near your car, here's an idea, pack a lunch.

eye95

How is it that this officer has not been identified???

LV members, and I know there are a lot of you, find out who this cop is! Better yet, once you know who he is, go to the LVPD and demand accountability, both for the officer's parking and his failure to identify himself when this 12-year-old had articulated reasonable suspicion that the officer was breaking the law!

Last edited:

skeith5

I ride a motorcycle and I would have parked in the same spot. It's private property and I've never run into a property owner who cared if you parked a motorcycle on the sidewalk as long as you weren't interfering with the flow of pedestrian traffic. That being said the officer should have identified himself.

OC for ME

A motorcycle is a motor vehicle. Motor vehicles are not permitted on sidewalk except at curb cuts in Las vegas, crossing a sidewalk to either enter or exit a location where parking is approved for motor vehicles.

Though, there is no mention of parking on sidewalks in LVs municipal code for either "cars" or motorcycles.

There is, however, code for bicycles on sidewalks, in marked locations, as being prohibited.

eye95

I ride a motorcycle and I would have parked in the same spot. It's private property and I've never run into a property owner who cared if you parked a motorcycle on the sidewalk as long as you weren't interfering with the flow of pedestrian traffic. That being said the officer should have identified himself.

The sidewalk is private property??? I congratulate you on what must be a great depth of knowledge in LV and NV law!

Fallschirjmäger

I defy the kid to find one person... cop or citizen, who hasn't parked illegally at some point or another.....
I admire the kid's gumption.... but his chosen issue is really a non-issue
Hi, my name's Christopher Allen Proescher, pleased to make your acquaintance.

"...And if he parks illegally in his personal car he probably will get a ticket if caught..."[/quote]
That's not his POV, so it's non sequitor to this discussion.

"We had this debate in the New Hampshire forum and the New Hampshire RSAs allow a police officer to park in no parking Zoe's while on duty with no mention at all of responding to a call"
1) If he stops to shtupp the local prostitute and parks in a "No Parking" zone, is he still "on duty"?
2) What do the laws of New Hampshire have to do with the laws in Las Vegas, Nevada?
3) I've seen officers stop in the middle of intersections when called to a scene, so if they're allowed to do it then, are you saying that they can park in the middle of an intersection while they go have a Oreo® CheeseQuake® Blizzard® Treat at the local Dairy Queen?

"If a cop stops to buy a bottle of water or soda on a hot day, and I call them for an emergency, I don't want to wait for the nearest officer to sprint 10 blocks to their vehicle, that makes no sense..."
A straw man argument, he was at a store and stores have parking lots. He had probably a 15 foot walk from a parking space. And if it was more than that he could have done what us common folk do, either go somewhere else or have our chauffeurs fetch some Evian.

"Officers don't get lunch breaks and rest breaks in the same way you and I do at a private employer..." Really? Gee, I thought there were even service codes like "10-8" and "10-7" for stuff like that. You mean you guys don't get to get out of your cars and have a sit down at the local MickyDee's or BBQ joint?
cops-dunkin-donuts-2.jpg

cops_donuts-742483.jpg

If cops don't 'have time to eat', then I guess cops don't have time to wait in line at fast food either. Yet, somehow, I never see them barging their way to the head of the line. Why is that?

"...Also many police vehicles, including motors, have hundreds of dollars of taxpayer provided equipment on and in them... it makes perfect sense to me if the "no park" zone happened to be the best place to leave the motor where he could see it while doing his business...."
Big deal, I often had over 100k of equipment in my work van, and now have over 10K in stereo and other items in my car.
So why don't I get to have special treatment?

"There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a cop to park in a no park zone, and most likely the no park zone doesn't apply to cops anyway..."
One, this wasn't one of them, and you know it. And Two, because "NO Parking" zones that are reserved for fire trucks to put out fires and save people's lives are more important than a cop getting his supervitavegemin water drink on.

I'm sorry ENM, but all your arguments (aside from the obvious red herrings, straw man, and non sequitor ones) just boil down to one simple line, "I'm more specialier than you."

Last edited:

eye95

"Hey kid, you got some ID? I don't know who you are."

What the Heck? Twelve year old kids are now supposed to carry state issued identification?

The irony was that the kid was essentially asking the officer for ID because the kid had articulated reasonable suspicion that the officer was violating the law! The kid had cause to ask for ID and expect to get it. The officer did not provide it. The officer had no reason to ask the kid for ID. Yet the kid happily provided his name.

Again, though, LV and NV members: Who is this cop??? You should not rest until his badge number and name have been posted here, nor until the LVPD has answered for this cop's behavior.

ADobbs1989

I would almost be willing to bet that the sidewalks are not private property but city property regulated by city laws.

papa bear

EMN, just out of curiosity, and i do know this is hypothetical. would you have had a problem if the policeman had stole the drink?

Tacitus42

For all those who don't understand the automatic distrust of cops held by some of us, read the comments about this on policeone.com.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-iss...deo-Boy-12-confronts-cop-for-illegal-parking/

The policemen for the most part think they should never be questioned, especially by a kid.

ETA: It's not the parking that bothers me nearly as much as the attitude. From the link:

The officer replies, "Cause I can," prompting the boy to ask for his badge number.

"What are you, a junior lawyer?" the cop asks, preparing to get on his motorcycle.

The boy again asks for the officer’s badge number, and the officer drives off.

You forgot part where he tries to intimidate the well spoken citizen . "Got any ID?" What a efin tool!
You cop apologists are just ridiculous.

Ca Patriot

I don't think parking illegally is the issue....think broader man.

I agree.

I believe the issue is more of how police think of the public and how they treat the public.

This child asked a question....a legitamite question of a public official.

The officer refused to answer.

The officer was rude to the child.

The officer violated department policy by not giving badge number.

The officer asked the kid for ID !!!!

Why would the officer ask the kid for ID ?

This video shows perfectly the mentality and the reality of the police state.

Personally, I couldnt care less about a cop parking his motorcycle on the sidewalk. But I would have liked the officer to say to the kid "you know, you are right, i am not allowed to park on the sidewalk. my name is "............" and my badge number is "........." and next time i will do my best to park in approved spots.

This kid is lucky he didnt get handcuffed and detained.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The God syndrome.

Many have it. Judges, police, celebrities, high public officials, doctors. They believe emphatically that they know better and ARE better, and that we should both recognize that and bow to it. The officer was wrong, the kid was right. Now this video has gone viral and good thing it has.

Fallschirjmäger

"Programs, get ya programs here, can't tell da playah's apart wit'out ya programs!"

People's denigrating language against the officer or officers in general on OpenCarry.Org
"You forgot part where he tries to intimidate the well spoken citizen . "Got any ID?" What a efin tool!
You cop apologists are just ridiculous.
The officer was rude to the child.

People's denigrating comments on PoliceOne, from supposed police officers....
FistofKhonshu said:
Wow. If I had displayed this type of attitude to an LEO when I was his age, my dad would have force fed me my teeth. No worries. This little s**t will spend enough time in lock up a few years down the road.
esu5 said:
Sorry but Im not debating anything with a 12 yr old who probably got put up to this by his libtard, tie-dye shirt wearing left over from the 60's radical Dad who got busted last week cause at 60 he's still smoking weed.
Scorp said:
The kid was clearly trying to provoke, so he's an idiot allright
MountieJoe said:
"This YOUR bag of weed, little boy"?
gtpd said:
Future maggot in training! I wouldn't have given him the time of day.
okdlm said:
Liberal in training, they start 'em out early the farther west you go!
cdnoel said:
he kid was being a nosey butt..
carbri said:
Just another little punk with a video camera.
SAPDMAS said:
Future loser.
leocji said:
What a little punk!
smd20 said:
This kid will have many such encounters with us as he grows up. When he's 18 his hair will be down to his back with a beard, he'll be wearing sandals and spouting rhetoric about the fascist government and police controlling society. He surely learned this crap from his parents.
aryfrosty said:
Another liberal created smart-alecky kid.
ATSBPD said:
That kid is an idiot. ... a punk kid pulling a stupid stunt and not worth being taken seriously. I wouldn't have given him my information either, whether I was in the right or wrong.
diggy2121 said:
Well it looks bad for all of us, but in Nevada, specifically Las Vegas where I work, when you are in uniform, on duty, in your official capacity, which he was, police are exempt from certain traffic and parking laws. But regardless, citizens do not know or understand. And they never will. Unfortunately this is the kind of kid that will end up on CopBlock and policing the police as an instigator. Remember that name, i am sure someone here in town will be dealing with him in a few years.
... any emphasis is mine

EMNofSeattle

which way, that the LEO stole the drink (hypothetical), or that he was accused of stealing a drink?

just trying to get where you would draw the line

Stealing is not the same as parking unlawfully.

it's a questionable analogy.

The first line to be drawn is whether or not someone is harmed by the action...

the second line is at the degree of harm caused,

Third at the level of malice or negligence that led to that level of harm.

This is a multi-tiered test.... since no one at all was harmed, I don't care. If I followed you around taping your every move and you were punished just off of my single complaint without regard to circumstances (as most people here seem to think officers should be fired for every single little misstep) I could make your life pretty miserable. The cops have probably knowingly let you slide on numerous "violations" of the law. I openly speed by 5-10 over the limit in front of deputies in county I live in... I've never recieved one ticket. where do you draw the line there?