• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

License Renewal Times

OkieOutlaw

Just wondering what the turnaround times are running on License Renewals? Not interested in first application times just how long it has been taking to get your renewal license back from OSBI. Thanks for your replies.

eriksands

Right now I've been waiting over 120 days for my renewal. I've contacted them once and they said they "faxed for background information from OK County Sheriff and are waiting to receive it". That was over a month ago.

Best of luck on yours. Hopefully it won't be as long of a wait. I know they have a huge backlog.

I sent mine off last March, received it in July, so something like 120 days. That seems to be the most common answer on this.

So, what kind of legal action is being taken against OSBI for its violation of the state constitution?

OkieOutlaw

Wow, I sent mine off a little over a month before expiration and figured with the 30 day grace period I would be safe. Now looks like it will be expired for two months before I get the new one.:cry:

I sent mine off last March, received it in July, so something like 120 days. That seems to be the most common answer on this.

So, what kind of legal action is being taken against OSBI for its violation of the state constitution?

OkieOutlaw

BTT. Just wanted to keep this out there. They withdrew the money from CC within a week of my initial mailing. Still no word about process as of today. just took the money fast. LOL.

OldCurlyWolf

Violation of the SDA, not the constitution. Two different things.
:cool:

gungirl79

Renewal time for CCL

I went to OSBI just the other day (June 28th, 2013) of course I was a little bit too early on trying to renew my CCL. Has to be exactly 90 days from date of expiration. I asked the lady who was helping me and she stated that they are back on normal schedule of processing renewals (60 days) looks like I am going back in 2wks to get mine in the process of renewing. :) Let's hope they don't take longer than 60 days.

OkieOutlaw

I went to OSBI just the other day (June 28th, 2013) of course I was a little bit too early on trying to renew my CCL. Has to be exactly 90 days from date of expiration. I asked the lady who was helping me and she stated that they are back on normal schedule of processing renewals (60 days) looks like I am going back in 2wks to get mine in the process of renewing. :) Let's hope they don't take longer than 60 days.
I sent mine off on April 30. Figured they would receive it around the third of the month which would be about a month early. It's 7/13 now and still haven't received it. Been well over 60 days now so maybe I will get it soon. My only worry is that I am now past the thirty day grace period and still carry daily. I have never had to show my license yet so just hope my luck holds out till the new one arrives. What is the penalty if I get caught at this point?

hrdware

I sent mine off on April 30. Figured they would receive it around the third of the month which would be about a month early. It's 7/13 now and still haven't received it. Been well over 60 days now so maybe I will get it soon. My only worry is that I am now past the thirty day grace period and still carry daily. I have never had to show my license yet so just hope my luck holds out till the new one arrives. What is the penalty if I get caught at this point?

If I remember correctly, it is a misdemeanor for improper carry that has a 75 or 100 fine with it. May also try to get you for not having your license on you.

I have heard of people emailing OSBI about this and getting an email to use as an extension until they get the permit.

Robert318

Improperly transporting is 75$ and the SDA still has conflicting paragraphs pertaining to transporting violations.

However concealing or open carry in public has a much more serious penalty, because apparently the US 2nd amendment in the BILL OF RIGHTS means nothing to our lawmakers and the rich wont challenge it (SDA) because they can just hire security!

Here is what the SDA says for unlawful carry;

TITLE 21 § 1276 PENALTY FOR 1272 AND 1273

Any person violating the provisions of Section 1272 or 1273 of this title shall, upon a first conviction, be adjudged guilty of a misdemeanor and the party offending shall be punished by a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days or both such fine and imprisonment. On the second and every subsequent violation, the party offending shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not less than thirty (30) days nor more than three (3) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Any person convicted of violating the provisions of Section 1272 or 1273 of this title after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license suspended for a period of six (6) months and shall be liable for an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

Last edited:

OkieOutlaw

Yippeee!! I'm legal again

Just a quick update on the status of my renewal. I sent off an email on Mon 7/15 inquiring on the status and received an answer that night at around 10:30 P.M. that my application had been approved and that I should be receiving my new license within 7-10 business days. Imagine my surprise when I checked the mail this morning only to find my brand new permit in the mail. I am so happy as the last two weeks have been to say the least a little nerve wracking as I continued to carry even though my permit was expired. I am finally legal again and learned a very valuable lesson in that from now on I will submit my new application at least 90 days before expiration to alleviate this problem next time.:banana:

hrdware

Just a quick update on the status of my renewal. I sent off an email on Mon 7/15 inquiring on the status and received an answer that night at around 10:30 P.M. that my application had been approved and that I should be receiving my new license within 7-10 business days. Imagine my surprise when I checked the mail this morning only to find my brand new permit in the mail. I am so happy as the last two weeks have been to say the least a little nerve wracking as I continued to carry even though my permit was expired. I am finally legal again and learned a very valuable lesson in that from now on I will submit my new application at least 90 days before expiration to alleviate this problem next time.:banana:

Unfortunately, OSBI will not let you submit your renewal if it is more than 90 days away.

DaddyDragon

Not a renewal question, but an initial application query. I successfully completed the SDA course over a month ago. But due to fiscal constraints, I have not yet submitted my license application with OSBI. Is there a time limit for submitting it?

hrdware

Not a renewal question, but an initial application query. I successfully completed the SDA course over a month ago. But due to fiscal constraints, I have not yet submitted my license application with OSBI. Is there a time limit for submitting it?

Welcome to the forum DaddyDragon.

No, there is no time limit for the initial application. Your safety certification is good for ever.

Once you get your license, if you let it lapse you have a 3 year time frame in which to renew. If you don't get it done in those 3 years, you have to take the class over again.