Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC and CC at The Same Time?

OC and CC at The Same Time?

This may be a stupid question and/or covered somewhere else.

While waiting for my VA/UT/FL permits to come in I have been OC in Virginia. Utah permit has a rule that you can only conceal one gun. Have not been able to determine what VA and FL regs are.

My question is this - is it legal to OC your primary and CC a BUG

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post

While waiting for my VA/UT/FL permits to come in I have been OC in Virginia. Utah permit has a rule that you can only conceal one gun. Have not been able to determine what VA and FL regs are.

Thanks in advance.
    In VA yes, if you have a CHP. Of course you're subject to whatever laws are relevent for your exact location and activities, for instance the restriction on consuming alcohol while CC.

Not a stupid question. Once I can save up a few bucks I intend to get a BUG and carry it in addition to my OC.

This would seem to be an interesting case where a Utah permit would allow you to do something in Virginia that it would not allow you to do in Utah.

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Each gun one carries must pass the test of legality.

With a permit, OC or CC as many or as few as you wish.

No permit, OC one or several.

There are those that will remember 3 Gun Kim, think she carried 5 once as a light hearted test.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Centurion

Thanks in advance.
    Utah's permit has no restriction on the number of weapons concealed nor does the permit limit one to firearms only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Each gun one carries must pass the test of legality.

With a permit, OC or CC as many or as few as you wish.

No permit, OC one or several.

There are those that will remember 3 Gun Kim, think she carried 5 once as a light hearted test.
    There was a thread several years ago where user outlined the law on this question:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ly-one-handgun

Specifically, he cites 1-227 to outline how legal language is not the same as normal language:
    1-227. Number.
    A word used in the singular includes the plural and a word used in the
    plural includes the singular.
    His post is the best answer anyone could give on the subject. You might also want to check Utah law's definitions, because it's likely that they have a similar statute defining the difference between singular and plural words.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Utah's permit has no restriction on the number of weapons concealed nor does the permit limit one to firearms only!
    The Utah permit is a good one - one is in my wallet. The original Va. permit (CWP) and corresponding law was better in some ways than what we have now.

Still with Utah or Va. permit one must obey the laws of the state in which they are standing at that precise moment and the question was directed at Virginia requirments/restrictions.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Utah permit has a rule that you can only conceal one gun. .

Says who?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

The instructor at the class I took. He made a big deal about "when you get your permit that doesn't allow you to carry one in the waist, one in an ankle holster, etc..."

My fault for not researching the statute myself.

Thanks for all the info, good stuff.

The instructor at the class I took. He made a big deal about "when you get your permit that doesn't allow you to carry one in the waist, one in an ankle holster, etc..."

Your instructor is spewing fallout from the rotating feces oscalator.

I can guarantee it was not ProShooter - he knows the laws.

The Utah folks might be interested to know about that. They seem to take the content of their training courses very seriously.

TFred

Oh, I would love to know who that was!
    Last edited by ProShooter; 05-08-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Your instructor is spewing fallout from the rotating feces oscalator.

I can guarantee it was not ProShooter - he knows the laws.
    I do my best!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

OC & CC at the same time

Not a problem here in VA.... as long as you have your CHP. I do it all the time. My OC weapon is a golden oldie/blast from the past, a Ruger police service 6 357 that I purchased back in 1977. My CC bug, not saying where it is concealed, is a Springfied XD40 subcompact. I've been stopped by LEO's in the past, last time was over 2 years ago, and have never had an issue with them.

*edited* to reflect the fact that I've only been OCing for about 4 months now. Always been CC before that. Much prefer OC but I just can't get away from my little XD.
    Last edited by bbMurphy; 05-09-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: (see included note)

Centurion

The Utah permit is a good one - one is in my wallet. The original Va. permit (CWP) and corresponding law was better in some ways than what we have now.

Still with Utah or Va. permit one must obey the laws of the state in which they are standing at that precise moment and the question was directed at Virginia requirments/restrictions.
    Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Hot damn! Walked out to the mailbox this evening to find my Utah permit. When I called a few weeks ago they said that it would be mailed around the 12th (60 days from when they cashed my check) and that I should receive it 5-7 days later.

I will be OC'ing my primary with a S&W .380 BUG in the vest while working in Merrifield tomorrow.

Hot damn! Walked out to the mailbox this evening to find my Utah permit. When I called a few weeks ago they said that it would be mailed around the 12th (60 days from when they cashed my check) and that I should receive it 5-7 days later.

I will be OC'ing my primary with a S&W .380 BUG in the vest while working in Merrifield tomorrow.
    You haven't told us yet where you took your Utah class.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Ha ha ha, I think YOU just did!

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Ha ha ha, I think YOU just did!
    It wasn't ProShooter - not with the bad information the Stoveman got from his instructor! See earlier post in this thread.

It wasn't ProShooter - not with the bad information the Stoveman got from his instructor! See earlier post in this thread.
    Ahh... I think you may be right. I overlooked that earlier bit of info!

TFred

MMTA.

Class taken in Frederick, MD, although they offer classes in a variety of places around NoVa and MD.

One of my employees found the class and I took it with him.

I did enjoy the class, and the people who ran it did a very good job. Other than the instructor being incorrect about not being able to carry more than one gun, that is. There were about 75 people (with quite a few women) in the class and they got everyone's pictures taken quickly, had plenty of help for those who were apparently challenged by putting their proper particulars on the forms, etc..

Instructor did have a personal bias against OC and admitted it as such, so I can respect that. It was a concealed carry class after all. I like to listen with an open mind, make my own decisions and move on.

MMTA.

Class taken in Frederick, MD, although they offer classes in a variety of places around NoVa and MD.

One of my employees found the class and I took it with him.

I did enjoy the class, and the people who ran it did a very good job. Other than the instructor being incorrect about not being able to carry more than one gun, that is. There were about 75 people (with quite a few women) in the class and they got everyone's pictures taken quickly, had plenty of help for those who were apparently challenged by putting their proper particulars on the forms, etc..

Instructor did have a personal bias against OC and admitted it as such, so I can respect that. It was a concealed carry class after all. I like to listen with an open mind, make my own decisions and move on.
    I guess that I have to ask the question that others are probably considering....how do you know that the instructor did a good job? Meaning, now you know that you were given incorrect information about lawful carry of multiple weapons. Perhaps there are other things said that were also incorrect and I'm just wondering how you would know that or not if you haven't yet "fact checked" other things that you were told.

It would seem that taking a class required for issuing a weapons permit would require that the instructor be correct about **everything** that he/she claims as a legal requirement or as being unlawful.
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Says who?
    +1
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    The instructor at the class I took.
    Probably an MD LEO.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast