• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and CC at The Same Time?

Stoveman

This may be a stupid question and/or covered somewhere else.

While waiting for my VA/UT/FL permits to come in I have been OC in Virginia. Utah permit has a rule that you can only conceal one gun. Have not been able to determine what VA and FL regs are.

My question is this - is it legal to OC your primary and CC a BUG:confused:

Thanks in advance.

scouser

While waiting for my VA/UT/FL permits to come in I have been OC in Virginia. Utah permit has a rule that you can only conceal one gun. Have not been able to determine what VA and FL regs are.

Thanks in advance.

In VA yes, if you have a CHP. Of course you're subject to whatever laws are relevent for your exact location and activities, for instance the restriction on consuming alcohol while CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Each gun one carries must pass the test of legality.

With a permit, OC or CC as many or as few as you wish.

No permit, OC one or several.

There are those that will remember 3 Gun Kim, think she carried 5 once as a light hearted test.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Thanks in advance.

Utah's permit has no restriction on the number of weapons concealed nor does the permit limit one to firearms only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grylnsmn

Each gun one carries must pass the test of legality.

With a permit, OC or CC as many or as few as you wish.

No permit, OC one or several.

There are those that will remember 3 Gun Kim, think she carried 5 once as a light hearted test.

There was a thread several years ago where user outlined the law on this question:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...8-2-308-limit-a-person-to-exactly-one-handgun

Specifically, he cites § 1-227 to outline how legal language is not the same as normal language:
§ 1-227. Number.
A word used in the singular includes the plural and a word used in the
plural includes the singular.
His post is the best answer anyone could give on the subject. You might also want to check Utah law's definitions, because it's likely that they have a similar statute defining the difference between singular and plural words.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Utah's permit has no restriction on the number of weapons concealed nor does the permit limit one to firearms only!

The Utah permit is a good one - one is in my wallet. The original Va. permit (CWP) and corresponding law was better in some ways than what we have now.

Still with Utah or Va. permit one must obey the laws of the state in which they are standing at that precise moment and the question was directed at Virginia requirments/restrictions.

Stoveman

The instructor at the class I took. He made a big deal about "when you get your permit that doesn't allow you to carry one in the waist, one in an ankle holster, etc..."

My fault for not researching the statute myself.

Thanks for all the info, good stuff.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The instructor at the class I took. He made a big deal about "when you get your permit that doesn't allow you to carry one in the waist, one in an ankle holster, etc..."

Your instructor is spewing fallout from the rotating feces oscalator.

I can guarantee it was not ProShooter - he knows the laws.

TFred

The Utah folks might be interested to know about that. They seem to take the content of their training courses very seriously.

TFred

bbMurphy

OC & CC at the same time

Not a problem here in VA.... as long as you have your CHP. I do it all the time. My OC weapon is a golden oldie/blast from the past, a Ruger police service 6 357 that I purchased back in 1977. My CC bug, not saying where it is concealed, is a Springfied XD40 subcompact. I've been stopped by LEO's in the past, last time was over 2 years ago, and have never had an issue with them. :monkey

*edited* to reflect the fact that I've only been OCing for about 4 months now. Always been CC before that. Much prefer OC but I just can't get away from my little XD. :)

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
The Utah permit is a good one - one is in my wallet. The original Va. permit (CWP) and corresponding law was better in some ways than what we have now.

Still with Utah or Va. permit one must obey the laws of the state in which they are standing at that precise moment and the question was directed at Virginia requirments/restrictions.

Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoveman

Hot damn! Walked out to the mailbox this evening to find my Utah permit. When I called a few weeks ago they said that it would be mailed around the 12th (60 days from when they cashed my check) and that I should receive it 5-7 days later.

I will be OC'ing my primary with a S&W .380 BUG in the vest while working in Merrifield tomorrow.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Hot damn! Walked out to the mailbox this evening to find my Utah permit. When I called a few weeks ago they said that it would be mailed around the 12th (60 days from when they cashed my check) and that I should receive it 5-7 days later.

I will be OC'ing my primary with a S&W .380 BUG in the vest while working in Merrifield tomorrow.

You haven't told us yet where you took your Utah class.

TFred

Ha ha ha, I think YOU just did! :D

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Ha ha ha, I think YOU just did! :D

It wasn't ProShooter - not with the bad information the Stoveman got from his instructor! See earlier post in this thread.