Thread: Old law "3 movements" or less is concealed?

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Old law "3 movements" or less is concealed?

This will probably be a question for you old heads. I have tried to research this myself and always come up empty handed. I have heard it said several times from several people that the old KY. law in regards to a concealed gun in your vehicle was based on the number of movements that you would have to make before you could access your firearm. I know what the current law says, but do any of you ever recall a time that KY. law stated X amount of movements?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    This will probably be a question for you old heads. I have tried to research this myself and always come up empty handed. I have heard it said several times from several people that the old KY. law in regards to a concealed gun in your vehicle was based on the number of movements that you would have to make before you could access your firearm. I know what the current law says, but do any of you ever recall a time that KY. law stated X amount of movements?

well if no one knows and you care enough you can head down to local law library. my local law library at the kitsap courthouse has the RCW annotated in print form...

but this will be a long process. using the print form statute book, look at the appropriate statute, the annotations at the bottom will reference when that state was last amended/enacted. now with that date in mind, many courthouse law libraries stock minutes from the sessions of the legislature.... you'll need to use that the determine what the last change was in the law.

now the hard part will be if the last change in the law wasn't the one you're looking for, now you'll need to find the edition of those statutes in effect at the date of last change find its annotations, and start the process over again....

I've done this before, it takes patience, but can be done.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I think it stems from other states' laws. I think Utah or Nevada has a law similar to that.

I seem to recall something like that from when I was younger since you mentioned it. LOL I had forgotten all about that. Don't know if it was actual law or anything.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Nope, don't think it was part of the KRS
    Last edited by hotrod; 05-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by langzaiguy View Post
    I think it stems from other states' laws. I think Utah or Nevada has a law similar to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot
    I remember reading about this law in one of the other state forums once. I think it was Nevada.
    Sorry, guys.

Nevada has nothing at all like that and never has.

What Utah has is a convoluted definition of "loaded." You are not permitted to carry your firearm loaded in public unless you have the permit to carry concealed. For UT, "loaded" means there is a round in firing position or within one mechanical action from firing. It has nothing to do with any definition of whether or not the firearm is concealed.
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Centurion

Old law "3 movements" or less is concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Sorry, guys.

Nevada has nothing at all like that and never has.

What Utah has is a convoluted definition of "loaded." You are not permitted to carry your firearm loaded in public unless you have the permit to carry concealed. For UT, "loaded" means there is a round in firing position or within one mechanical action from firing. It has nothing to do with any definition of whether or not the firearm is concealed.
    Utah's law is NOT a restriction of public but rather " public road"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Utah's law is NOT a restriction of public but rather " public road"...
    True, and further, it does not apply when in a vehicle under your control on that public road, but I hadn't intended to make them experts on UT in this thread.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

SP, I have tried to research it and I went exactly nowhere with it.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    SP, I have tried to research it and I went exactly nowhere with it.
    I just find it amusing and sad that the most well known gun "law" in the state of KY. is a "law" that doesn't/never did exist. I bet I hear the "movement" law quoted to me at least once a month.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Yea, my brother-in-law and my father were trying to tell me this was the law.

What bothers me about it all is most of these people have access to the internet and therefore they have access to the law and they still spread myths.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Yes, and this non-existent law has generated 13 responses on this forum already.
    I'm glad to we are sharing our knowledge with one another. Isn't that the reason for a forum?

Again, I ask you what difference does it make what misinformation some people believe?
    Like I stated earlier, I have heard this quoted several times as was curious if it had a back story. It appears that it does not. Or at least it doesn't have a concrete back story. Just speculation. As far as your question of why it matters,(insert Hillary Clinton joke here) I guess it really doesn't matter. I had a question so I asked it. Didn't really feel that I needed to justify or explain in detail why I wanted to know. I just wanted to know.

I don't what to shock you, but there are a lot of stupid people out there.
    No shock to me. I haven't seen or done it all, but I realize that they walk among us. Most of them are in D.C.

I'd bet that half the people that have read this thread still think it is true.
    You could be right. Maybe they should have read more than just the headline. If they failed to seek further, accurate information and now they have bad information, then that's their fault.

It is unfortunate, buy true, that some people will believe a lie before they will believe the truth and many are too lazy to look it up or don't what to know that they have been wrong and,foolishly, giving out wrong information for many years.
    No argument here. Maybe that is one of the things that amazed/angered/confused/amused me about this particular "law" that I often hear so much about.

n.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Yes, and this non-existent law has generated 13 responses on this forum already. Again, I ask you what difference does it make what misinformation some people believe? I don't what to shock you, but there are a lot of stupid people out there. I'd bet that half the people that have read this thread still think it is true. It is unfortunate, buy true, that some people will believe a lie before they will believe the truth and many are too lazy to look it up or don't what to know that they have been wrong and, foolishly, giving out wrong information for many years.
    I never really understood how completely ignorant most people are until I became a peace officer. It is amazing how ignorant people can really be, and how they have absolutely no care for their ignorance.

Over 90% of people get themselves arrested because they are ignorant of their rights, but they don't seem to care about them and they just keep giving them up.

As for dealing with ignorant people, it would amaze you if you dealt with these people for one day at how incredibly stupid they can be. I have lost a lot of faith in people now that I have been around some of the worst people in society, but I will still continue to protect their rights and uphold the Constitution.

Ignorant people are EVERYWHERE! It still amazes me at how many people just DON'T care.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 05-08-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

It has to have a concrete origin. It is too widely thought for it to have just popped out of someones mouth one day.

Somebody somewhere who was in a position of power (public servant) started this. The origin may not even been from this state.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I never really understood how completely ignorant most people are until I became a peace officer. It is amazing how ignorant people can really be, and how they have absolutely no care for their ignorance.

Over 90% of people get themselves arrested because they are ignorant of their rights, but they don't seem to care about them and they just keep giving them up.

As for dealing with ignorant people, it would amaze you if you dealt with these people for one day at how incredibly stupid they can be. I have lost a lot of faith in people now that I have been around some of the worst people in society, but I will still continue to protect their rights and uphold the Constitution.

Ignorant people are EVERYWHERE! It still amazes me at how many people just DON'T care.
    Im sorry, what?

I didn't notice your post because I was tweeting about my facebook post about spilling my starbucks while watching 763 channels on TV. YOLO, FML, OMG, LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    It has to have a concrete origin. It is too widely thought for it to have just popped out of someones mouth one day.

Somebody somewhere who was in a position of power (public servant) started this. The origin may not even been from this state.
    A guy that I work with came from West Virgina and had quoted the same thing. And when I say a concrete origin I mean there is no known old KRS or case law that we are aware of.

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    A guy that I work with came from West Virgina and had quoted the same thing. And when I say a concrete origin I mean there is no known old KRS or case law that we are aware of.
    I can only tell you where it came from on my side of the story. I live in Paducah and the state of IL is just across the creek from us. Back 20 some odd years ago it was told and I understood it that if you transported your guns in a car in IL you had to keep the gun away from you in so many movements. It was referred to as "immediately accessible" clause back then. Again this was when we would venture into southern IL with a gun in the car. Back then the pistol and ammo couldn't be in the same place if it wasn't in manufacturers box and 3 moves away. It was generally a PITA if you was in a truck with more then one weapon. God forbid if you was on a motorcycle.

Again, this isn't meant to be the god honest truth to the law of IL back in the late 1980's and early 1990's but what I remember from back then and how I was told to stay lawful back then. Thought it might help in the origins conversation part of this though.

Orion

Sigh, nevermind. Don't want to come across as "anti-cop" and hurt someone's arrogant feelings.
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 05-15-2013 at 03:17 AM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.