• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting situation, need some insight and info

footbllplyr19

I work for a big box public company. This morning I went to work to pick up a lawn mower from a fellow associate who needed work done to the lawn mower. I was not on the clock, and was not scheduled for the day at all. I did not go into any (associate only) areas. While walking through the store to go get the fellow associate, my store manager stopped me and told me to cover my gun up. His reasoning was it gave a bad perception about the associates at the store. He said that if someone came in and knew that I was an associate at the store, and had my gun on me in OC, it would be a bad perception to the store. I just untucked my shirt because I didn't have the time to deal with his BS.
so my question is, does he have the ability to tell me to cover it up? When I am off the clock and not scheduled to work? I see my self as a regular customer when I am not on the clock, so he couldn't tell a regular customer to cover up their gun, so why can he tell me?
Any info that could help me out would be greatly appreciated.
I am thinking about making it a point now that when I ever I am in the area, considering there is a nice sportsman store next door, to make sure I stop by and buy something small, while I am OC.
Thanks for any info.

Btw I'm a newbie to the forum and I am loving the information I am getting off this website.

Trigger Dr

Does your employer allow OC for the general public? Does the company employee policy manual state anything re employee activity in the store when not working? When off the clock you are just another customer IMHO, and he should not treat you differently than any other customer.
Tread lightly as this could have an effect upon your employment.
Welcome to the OC family.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the forum mate. I get the impression that you are not new to OC. Was that the first time your employer saw you armed? Did he not know you were an open carrier?

footbllplyr19

Yes we do allow for open carry in the store. It happens all the time. I catch some people off guard when I ask them about their gun and how they like it. In my store between one of my other managers and I, have a big fight going about glock vs xd. Most of the managers are gun friendly. There is nothing in our handbook about being off the clock and what we policies or what now we have to follow. No I am not new to OC, but than again I am not too experienced at it either. I normally will conceal unless I just grab my gun and go, its easier to throw that holster on than my conceal one. This isn't the first time he has seen me with my gun on my hip. He has even asked me about it before. But never once told me to cover it up. He knows I am a gun guy, he knows that half his crew are gun people. So I don't know why he said anything about it today.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Consider this: Washington is an 'at will' state and you can be terminated for any reason.

You were asked politely and I would respect that request while on their property. Being respectful of your boss goes a long ways, regardless of whether it is right or not.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Consider this: Washington is an 'at will' state and you can be terminated for any reason.

You were asked politely and I would respect that request while on their property. Being respectful of your boss goes a long ways, regardless of whether it is right or not.

+1

Like it or not, they do employ you and they don't need a reason to let you go in WA. It sounds like your managers are open minded in RE to guns, perhaps approach them off time, less public and ask them to reconsider or discuss is further. You don't want to piss them off though.

deanf

so he couldn't tell a regular customer to cover up their gun, so why can he tell me?

What do you mean he couldn't tell a regular customer to cover their gun?

He's the store manager - he can set whatever rules he wants for conduct in his store, at any time, no prior notice required.

You've no right to be there. You're there by license of the property owner or their agent, employee or not. Terms of said license can be changed at any time. The license can be revoked at any time.

You've got no argument here.

.45ACPaddy

What do you mean he couldn't tell a regular customer to cover their gun?

He's the store manager - he can set whatever rules he wants for conduct in his store, at any time, no prior notice required.

You've no right to be there. You're there by license of the property owner or their agent, employee or not. Terms of said license can be changed at any time. The license can be revoked at any time.

You've got no argument here.[/COLOR]

He might be referring to a company/corporate policy that says to leave customers alone regarding OC.

I do see how his manager could view the situation as being different since regular customers could recognize him when he's not working, but that's beside the point. I think he might be getting at how their protocol is when it comes to interacting with customers who are OC.

sirpuma

so my question is, does he have the ability to tell me to cover it up?

No matter what anyone else says, or what company policy is concerning the general public, employees and firearms, a store manager has the right to ask you to cover up. He could even demand you remove it from the store. And you would have to comply or face the consequences. If you did not cover up, he could get you fired or trespassed. Whether or not he's right or complying with company policy. The best way to deal with this situation is comply, then complain. Send a letter to the corporate offices. If the corporate policy is to abide by state law and they are accepting of OC, then you have a leg to stand on when you complain about the manager harassing you about OC when you're not on shift and not in any uniform.